Panama papers - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Panama papers

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

You don't actually get the jist of the truth you get the full force of an ultra Tory agenda of reducing tax for the rich, are you totally berfeft of any cognitive functions?

What is they say? You know when they lose the argument they start insulting you. Or words to that effect.

I've no problem with taxing the rich, it just depends on what they/you imagine is being rich is I worry about.

Goodnight...:spin::wave:

Edited by antidote

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, antidote said:

I remember away back in 2004 you could gift up to £28000 before it was taxed.

Don't know if that has changed now.

I think the total that is liable for inheritance tax is over £325,000. Don't know if property counts though. 

The inheritance tax level in 2004 was £263,000.

Thought tax free gifts per year were capped at £3,000, with certain exemption (for example I think you can gift £10,000 for weddings)- but back then probably way around this.

Inheritance tax covers property too, I believe.

11 hours ago, antidote said:

I remember away back in 2004 you could gift up to £28000 before it was taxed.

Don't know if that has changed now.

I think the total that is liable for inheritance tax is over £325,000. Don't know if property counts though. 

If you dont die within 7 years of the gift then inheritance tax does not apply and then the gift is essentially tax free (I think).

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2242342/My-brother-wants-40-000-Will-pay-tax-it.html

9 hours ago, Stu101 said:

The inheritance tax level in 2004 was £263,000.

Thought tax free gifts per year were capped at £3,000, with certain exemption (for example I think you can gift £10,000 for weddings)- but back then probably way around this.

Inheritance tax covers property too, I believe.

I should have made that a bit clearer. 

I wasn't talking about inheritance tax, I was talking about an outright gift and you don't have to have the 7 year clearance time after.

I remember it because I had to do it, keep it below £28k as any more would incur paying tax on it, and it was done with the courts overseeing it so no misunderstandings.

Does the inheritance tax cover property if the house is in joint names? Maybe only 50% of the value is calculated?

Edited by antidote

9 hours ago, antidote said:

What is they say? You know when they lose the argument they start insulting you. Or words to that effect.

I've no problem with taxing the rich, it just depends on what they/you imagine is being rich is I worry about.

Goodnight...:spin::wave:

You've insulted yourself by demonstrating absolutely no knowledge of the subject area, you're no even in this argument never mind winning it.

8 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

You've insulted yourself by demonstrating absolutely no knowledge of the subject area, you're no even in this argument never mind winning it.

Took you all night to think that one up did you, not sleep or something.

39 minutes ago, antidote said:

Obviously you've not kept up.

Or are you waiting for the analysis from the uk gov, ifs and the obr.

Just copy your post again since I am incapable of keeping up. Should be simple enough unless of course you haven't actually provided the information 

7 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Just copy your post again since I am incapable of keeping up. Should be simple enough unless of course you haven't actually provided the information 

Why not read through the thread again. Is that not simpler. 

I made the claim and have showed reference, you dispute it, so provide your evidence that we don't have the highest tax burden in the developed world.

6 minutes ago, antidote said:

I made the claim and have showed reference, you dispute it, so provide your evidence that we don't have the highest tax burden in the developed world.

So you can't - thought as much

8 minutes ago, antidote said:

I have read through the thread and can't find it so no it wouldn't be simpler. You should know what post you showed the information in so it should only take you a minute.

9 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I have read through the thread and can't find it so no it wouldn't be simpler. You should know what post you showed the information in so it should only take you a minute.

Several posts with several references.

32 minutes ago, antidote said:

Several posts with several references.

You have posted examples of various taxes and been challenged on them but have not shown any comprehensive breakdown and overall tax burden to show country by country what we all pay. Tell me for a start what we pay in comparison to Sweden.

7 hours ago, Lamia said:

You have posted examples of various taxes and been challenged on them but have not shown any comprehensive breakdown and overall tax burden to show country by country what we all pay. Tell me for a start what we pay in comparison to Sweden.

What's this?

Already given reference and by the looks of it you refute them and can't back up your argument, so therefore you can't back up your claim.

APD:

http://www.afairtaxonflying.org/facts/

" Yet instead he actually used Budget 2012 to increase duty on tobacco, fuel and alcohol, despite the fact that we already have amongst the highest tobacco and fuel duties in the world"

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/1083/black_market_blues_why_the_uk_must_close_the_tax_gap_on_tobacco_fuel_and_alcohol

"Charges like stamp duty, council tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and business rates are higher in the UK than any of the 33 other members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2489554/Britons-pay-highest-property-taxes-world-Charges-like-stamp-duty-mean-fork-60BILLION-year.html

Again you are comparing direct taxes with the UK and Sweden.

19 minutes ago, antidote said:

What's this?

Already given reference and by the looks of it you refute them and can't back up your argument, so therefore you can't back up your claim.

APD:

" Yet instead he actually used Budget 2012 to increase duty on tobacco, fuel and alcohol, despite the fact that we already have amongst the highest tobacco and fuel duties in the world"

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/1083/black_market_blues_why_the_uk_must_close_the_tax_gap_on_tobacco_fuel_and_alcohol

"Charges like stamp duty, council tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and business rates are higher in the UK than any of the 33 other members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2489554/Britons-pay-highest-property-taxes-world-Charges-like-stamp-duty-mean-fork-60BILLION-year.html

I'm sorry but none of those sources are free from bias each one is supporting an agenda, the OECD data is here and this shows we are very middle of the road (apart from with respect to dental work).

1. 2 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

I'm sorry but none of those sources are free from bias each one is supporting an agenda, the OECD data is here and this shows we are very middle of the road (apart from with respect to dental work).

Having real problems with this site at the moment.

Had a quick look and I can't see revenue for excise duty.

I'm also busy, on-line, dealing with that dental clinic you recommended yesterday. 

5 hours ago, antidote said:

What's this?

APD:

You have again plucked out bunch of specific taxes. Where is your overall analysis of all taxes with comparisons with other counties or even the UK and Sweden like I previously asked. 

13 hours ago, Lamia said:

You have again plucked out bunch of specific taxes. Where is your overall analysis of all taxes with comparisons with other counties or even the UK and Sweden like I previously asked. 

And you have again have confused direct taxation and indirect taxation. The link Larky sent, although informative, does not show the indirect taxes, well not that I can find it, 

Things like stamp duty, road tax as well as a raft of other taxes are not counted as direct taxation.

I have been consistent here and saying indirect taxes and as the article said governments have been moving away from direct taxation while shifting more onto indirect taxes.

I believe direct taxation from the UK Government has fallen over recent years so guess where they make the shortfall up from?

BTW, Yes Sweden, Denmark etc. pay more direct taxation, but they get a lot more back for it and that is another argument.