Favourite away stadium as a Scotland fan? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Favourite away stadium as a Scotland fan?

bonzo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, The Laud said:

I cant believe you liked this place.yes the result was great but the stadium was the weirdest ive been in.

Its a toss up between Warsaw and amsterdam for me with the dutch one shading it due to the escalators to take you to the top.

The full set up in Amsterdam was brilliant from the trains to the stadium to the bars around it 

14 hours ago, The Giant said:

I thought the San Siro was shit. The place was a crumbling mess and it was literally half full. The only reason it was such a good atmosphere is because there were so many travelling fans. .

Agreed. The San Siro for me is one of the worst I've ever been in. Down there with Moldova and Kaunas.

28 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

Agreed. The San Siro for me is one of the worst I've ever been in. Down there with Moldova and Kaunas.

Seriously? As I said earlier it was a bit run doon but I just thought it had something special atmosphere/history wise 

4 hours ago, bonzo said:

Seriously? As I said earlier it was a bit run doon but I just thought it had something special atmosphere/history wise 

Camp Nou is a bit like that.  I was there about 15 years ago and I couldn't believe the state of the place.  No idea if they've done it up but I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't done.  Did the stadium tour and behind the scenes it was a bit shabby as well.

Another legendary stadium that is falling to pieces is Estadio Monumental, the River Plate stadium where the 1978 WC final was.

Didn't find the San Siro run down, just more in need of a good clean as the seats were absolutely filthy (seem to recall a local telling me that its been years of arguments between the city (who own the stadium) and Inter & AC Milan over who should be paying for the up keep of the stadium.

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Camp Nou is a bit like that.  I was there about 15 years ago and I couldn't believe the state of the place.  No idea if they've done it up but I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't done.  Did the stadium tour and behind the scenes it was a bit shabby as well.

Used to be when you went from the club shop/museum to the pitch side they would take you through the bowels of the stadium, where the cast concrete was crumbling away to expose the reinforcement steel work..... think now there is a walk way which takes you through the directors suite to get down to the pitch now, so you do not actually see the insides of the stadium.

5 hours ago, bonzo said:

As someone else has said about the state of it. My main memories were, pissing rain, being searched about 5 times before getting in so it taking ages. Holding my kilt so it didn't rub against anything as it looked like puke and shit all over the seats. The stairs up were in a state and had to be careful not to end up going back down head first. Absolutely nothing about it appealed to me. As I said Kaunas Moldova and San Siro would be my worst 3 ever.

21 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

As I said Kaunas Moldova and San Siro would be my worst 3 ever.

Moldova was a death trap! From what I recall everyone had to enter through the one gate that was about 10 foot wide, but barricaded so you could only enter 1 by 1, and they when there was a bit of a crush starting to happen the local police decided that they needed to drive this massive tank of a armored police car through this gate.

Annoying as for months we were told that the game would be at Sheriff Tiraspols 5 star state of the art stadium, but game had to moved to a ground that makes most lower league Junior grounds look like Wembley.

Edited by wanderer

16 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

As someone else has said about the state of it. My main memories were, pissing rain, being searched about 5 times before getting in so it taking ages. Holding my kilt so it didn't rub against anything as it looked like puke and shit all over the seats. The stairs up were in a state and had to be careful not to end up going back down head first. Absolutely nothing about it appealed to me. As I said Kaunas Moldova and San Siro would be my worst 3 ever.

Moldova was pretty bad and if the Italians hadn't objected to playing in Tiraspol the game would never have been played in Chisinau as ordinarily it wasn't even up to the lax standards that UEFA - perhaps understandably - were applying to East European stadiums then.

Much, much worse was the Daugavas in Riga in 1996.  The place was literally crumbling to bits.  The "seats" were old wooden benches - no particular hardship but the worst part was the toilet facilities.  There was one "facility" which was a small unlit room with no ventilation and which was probably last cleaned in the Soviet era.  It was absolutely stinking.   Most people were just going for a slash behind the stand where the local police were quite happy to "fine" you £5 for the priviledge.

Now I think about it, the toilets in the away end in the Parken in Copenhagen were also rank which was much more of a surprise..

30 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

Found the opposite,we actually walked in with a bottle of glayva(accidentally)in full view of polis and walked around the concourse and ended up at the away end 

Yes it was a shit hole but an iconic stadium and brilliant atmosphere,one of the best

Westfalen,Stade de France, Parc De Princess,Amsterdam Arena,Bordeaux,Old Wembley and old Hampden

Edited by Langtonian

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

Much, much worse was the Daugavas in Riga in 1996.  The place was literally crumbling to bits.  The "seats" were old wooden benches - no particular hardship but the worst part was the toilet facilities.  There was one "facility" which was a small unlit room with no ventilation and which was probably last cleaned in the Soviet era.  It was absolutely stinking.   Most people were just going for a slash behind the stand where the local police were quite happy to "fine" you £5 for the priviledge.

Latvian FA announced last month that they will be fully demolishing that stadium (the rickety upper deck went years ago) to build a new 6k national stadium.

Edited by wanderer

Struggling to decide which is my favourite. 

First 3 away games were Westfallen, Amsterdam and Millenium, which was some start to away games and would all have to feature pretty high. Lucky enough to have been to Wembley (new), Emirates, Yokohama and Warsaw as well, which would be the others in contention. 

Biggest let down was San Siro, other than the away atmosphere. But that sums up my feelings on Milan as a whole. 

Was also disappointed with Aviva. 4 times I've been now and stuck in bottom tier every time. The view for a modern stadium is aweful. It was also a shambles getting in last June. 

Worst without out a shadow of a doubt is Kaunas. My wife and I still laugh at the steps and all the Scotland fans toiling up them. Can't remember Chisinau unfortunately. The sparkling wine was nice tho. 

7 hours ago, wanderer said:

Moldova was a death trap! From what I recall everyone had to enter through the one gate that was about 10 foot wide, but barricaded so you could only enter 1 by 1, and they when there was a bit of a crush starting to happen the local police decided that they needed to drive this massive tank of a armored police car through this gate.

When we were trying to get in the Scotland team bus went in that gate and we were almost crushed against the wall as the security wouldn't allow us to move forward out of the way. Once inside the seats were broken leaving big shrp edges and there was big nails sticking out of some of the wooden seat supports.

To make it worse we put on a shocking performance and it was freezing.

16 hours ago, aaid said:

Moldova was pretty bad and if the Italians hadn't objected to playing in Tiraspol the game would never have been played in Chisinau as ordinarily it wasn't even up to the lax standards that UEFA - perhaps understandably - were applying to East European stadiums then.

Now I think about it, the toilets in the away end in the Parken in Copenhagen were also rank which was much more of a surprise..

Talking aboot toilets the bogs in Kiev huv got tae be up there never seen so many people peeing and boaking at the same time :lol:

9 hours ago, Jagtag said:

When we were trying to get in the Scotland team bus went in that gate and we were almost crushed against the wall as the security wouldn't allow us to move forward out of the way. Once inside the seats were broken leaving big shrp edges and there was big nails sticking out of some of the wooden seat supports.

To make it worse we put on a shocking performance and it was freezing.

Thankfully we were in the ground by the time they tried to get the team bus in.

Don't recall seats being that bad (maybe we just got a good section to sit in) but remember the Moldavian FA put a free match programme on each seat (the Red one I believe as the green one flying around all day was a pirate one) so you had folk going around every seat just grabbing as many as they could hold.

Other odd thing I recall was a very random Israeli flag in the home section of the ground being held up by someone.