Time To Ditch Hampden For Semi Finals? - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Time To Ditch Hampden For Semi Finals?

I'm afraid they can't especially if it involves the old firm or the 2 Edinburgh clubs!

Even Aberdeen vs Dundee Utd drew a crowd of nearly 30,000 last year!

It's another reason that Scotland's screaming out for a 35,000 seater stadium!

Making Ross County fans travel to Glasgow on a Sunday is what really pisses me off. Why was it not at pittodrie?? And why was it not on Saturday at 3 o'clock.. Give Ross county 5,000 tickets give the victims 15,000 seats what's the problem??

Oh that's right it's for the TV .. F*CK the normal working class fans who's got work the next day. Don't worry if there's no trains up to Dingwall on a Sunday ... Reagan yer a total Pr*ck

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ambrose a definite penalty , but us County fans would have preferred him to stay on as he is an accident waiting to happen !

Couple of good goals in second half , thought Scott Fox played a blinder . Ref tried to even things up with the Celtic penalty, could have been a very nervous last few minutes if Thumb had scored . Great final in prospect , looking forward to going to the game with my Hibs mates . Can't wait for March 13th .

Ambrose a definite penalty , but us County fans would have preferred him to stay on as he is an accident waiting to happen !

Couple of good goals in second half , thought Scott Fox played a blinder . Ref tried to even things up with the Celtic penalty, could have been a very nervous last few minutes if Thumb had scored . Great final in prospect , looking forward to going to the game with my Hibs mates . Can't wait for March 13th .

Enjoy mate - you and your fellow supporters deserve it!!

Congratulations Ross County!

The Ronny treble roar is withheld for at least one more season. Or permanently...?

Aye, I think this result might be the one that means Ronnie wont be there next season. Another season without Rangers to challenge them and Celtic fail to win the treble. A lot of Celtic fans would have been expecting at least one treble by now.

Well done Ross County, great result for Scottish football.

Depends who's playing.

If it's say St Johnstone vs County then Tannadice may be best.

The kllie vs Ayr Semi ould only really be held at Hampden. If there was a central belt 30k stadium that would be ideal.

Surely playing 1 or 2 games a season at a half full hampden park is more cost effective than building a 30,000 seater stadium to host a pretty specific type of game.

Depends who's playing.

The kllie vs Ayr Semi ould only really be held at Hampden. If there was a central belt 30k stadium that would be ideal.

This is what keeps coming up every year. Trouble is though none of the club's could do something like this and a stadium like that, would really need to be getting regular use imo. Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen can pull those sort of numbers but probably not every week, although the Jambos home crowds the last couple of years have been good.

I wonder if a more radical approach is required. Ground share or something like that, with it part funded through the authorities? Almost like a second national stadium. Not only could the stadium used for semi's and international friendlies but it would also be used every weekend. In fact we could probably play some qualifiers there. Look how much Wales have benefitted to getting their games sold out at the smaller stadium. There is one obvious location although I appreciate such an approach would have serious opposition from the fans of the club's involved.

Something definitely does need to be done though. Hampden semi finals ate becoming farcical with so many empty seats.

I await the mauling :)

Ibrox or Parkhead would've done (if available).

In those stadiums you could just use the lower level seats if the crowd was going to be less than 30,000. Probably more atmospheric than having huge empty spaces at Hampden...

In those stadiums you could just use the lower level seats if the crowd was going to be less than 30,000. Probably more atmospheric than having huge empty spaces at Hampden...

That's not a bad shout actually. It's a non-starter though. Far too much opposition from all angles I would think.

The worst semi-final (for atmosphere) I've been at in 40 years was Aberdeen - St Johnstone a couple of years ago at Ibrox.

And that was due almost completely to the game being at 12.30 KO on a Sunday lunchtime.

If you want a semi-final to be an occassion (as it should be), you have to make it easy for supporters to get there.....12.30 lunchtime on a Sunday, with little or no public transport available ?

Give me a feckin break.....if someone was to write a manual on how to kill off football, that would be example number 1.

Depends who's playing.

In all my days I don't think I can recall Tannadice ever being used as a neutral venue.

Steamroller Hampden.. It's sh1t.

Use Parkhead, Ibrox or Murrayfield for full internationals or semis and finals that will attract the required numbers.

Build a 25-30k seater stadium in Perth or Dundee. Ideally Dundee with both clubs sharing the ground. Alternatively, Aberdeen build a 25-30k seater stadium.

Just "brainstorming"!