Eca Discussing Champs League Changes - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eca Discussing Champs League Changes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would disagree. The Premier League and Champions League have gone from strength to strength financially over the years they have been active in their current formats. The Premier League has been running, with the Sky and then BT broadcast deals, for 25 years and doesn't show any sign of killing itself or indeed slowing down financially. Likewise there is more money pouring into the CL in TV and adverstising. How long do you give them before they "kill themselves" because at 25 years, thats quite a life span?

I think many of us are old enough to be talking about football pre-Sky but many "fans" nowadays will have known little but the Sky type of PL/CL football and that, for many, is the norm and doesn't show any sign of slowing down. As older fans become less interested there is a new generation who simply replace them, especially when they compare paying £25 per month to watch a months worth of football from everywhere and anywhere with £25 for say 90 minutes of SPL football, or more for a ticket for say a game in the English PL.

Good point well made. 

59 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would disagree. The Premier League and Champions League have gone from strength to strength financially over the years they have been active in their current formats. The Premier League has been running, with the Sky and then BT broadcast deals, for 25 years and doesn't show any sign of killing itself or indeed slowing down financially. Likewise there is more money pouring into the CL in TV and adverstising. How long do you give them before they "kill themselves" because at 25 years, thats quite a life span?

I think many of us are old enough to be talking about football pre-Sky but many "fans" nowadays will have known little but the Sky type of PL/CL football and that, for many, is the norm and doesn't show any sign of slowing down. As older fans become less interested there is a new generation who simply replace them, especially when they compare paying £25 per month to watch a months worth of football from everywhere and anywhere with £25 for say 90 minutes of SPL football, or more for a ticket for say a game in the English PL.

I suppose so.

Depressing though.  It means nothing to me, and I used to love European football.

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

It's not UEFA who wouldn't be interested, it's the clubs that hold them to ransom.  

You know what, I love football, have done for almost forty years now.  I would watch two amateur teams slug it out in the pishing rain in the middle of February just to see a game.  And yet, I didn't even realise Arsenal PLC were playing Barcelona PLC in the Champions League last night, and when I flicked to it, I flicked right on by.  Saturation and repetition will kill top level football eventually.  Question is - will the bloated few see it before it's too late?

http://www.football365.com/news/champions-league-the-exhibit-with-no-showcase

I read the above article last week which basically backs up your assertions that people are becoming increasingly bored and disillusioned with the champions league.

There are numerous ways they could change the format, primarily get rid of the seedings, but that and most other options will not happen. One thing they could do is scrap the ludicrous rule that teams from the same country cannot face each other in the group stages or the last 16. All that does is benefit the big teams from the biggest three or four countries whilst countries who only have one or two representatives are immediately at a disadvantage as a result.

Nothing will change though.

4 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Who were the thousands of Ukrainians in the stadium supporting? 

2 hours ago, Glasgowmancity said:

That was overturned :ok:

My mistake. I heard on the radio in the morning it was behind closed door. I didn't watch the match. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

44 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

My mistake. I heard on the radio in the morning it was behind closed door. I didn't watch the match. 

From your posts on this board I presumed you hardly ever watch football matches.

Any chance you could find out last night's teams and post the line-ups in to a nicely formatted formation? I didn't see the match either but that would essentially tell me all that took place.  Cheers.

34 minutes ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

From your posts on this board I presumed you hardly ever watch football matches.

Any chance you could find out last night's teams and post the line-ups in to a nicely formatted formation? I didn't see the match either but that would essentially tell me all that took place.  Cheers.

:lol: Cool story :ok:

On 1/28/2016 at 1:47 PM, ibelieve!!! said:

http://www.skysports.com/share/10146497

They're concerned that too many big clubs are missing out on slices of pie!!

cant see this happening. even with the 5 EPL clubs  that met yesterday that the answer to them is very simple. "thankyou very much for your participation in our English premier league please feel free to resign and feck off". We will be promoting the top 5 clubs in the championship this season. and have a nice time finishing mid- to bottom of the league every season with no derby matches. 

if this happens they need to be thrown out of the English league system and good luck to them !

10 minutes ago, Nobby said:

cant see this happening. even with the 5 EPL clubs  that met yesterday that the answer to them is very simple. "thankyou very much for your participation in our English premier league please feel free to resign and feck off". We will be promoting the top 5 clubs in the championship this season. and have a nice time finishing mid- to bottom of the league every season with no derby matches. 

if this happens they need to be thrown out of the English league system and good luck to them !

I thought you'd be all for this kind of thing.

Given your love of seeding things to death etc.

24 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I thought you'd be all for this kind of thing.

Given your love of seeding things to death etc.

I have no issue with seedings presumably next year if they don't finish fifth my own club Spurs will presumably get a harder draw because of their lack of previous success. Beat the teams you are drawn against simples !!!

Shutting the door on the basis you are a "big club" is testicles. and to be fair arsenal have zero success in the champions league and Liverpool havent won a title for 25 years so the term "big club" is subjective. Leicester and spurs in the top 4  (if they do it) should get to have a go against the other "best" clubs in Europe next year 

23 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Leicester and spurs in the top 4  (if they do it) should get to have a go against the other "best" clubs in Europe next year 

Nope. One of them (OR Arsenal OR City) should. One team should be in the Champions League from each nation. 

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nope. One of them (OR Arsenal OR City) should. One team should be in the Champions League from each nation. 

I agree but that ship sailed a long time ago and there is little or no chance of the current champions league going down to champions only. The greedy feckers (allegedly) AC milan have attempted to get some sort of pass into it on the basis of previous history. Let alone what the 5 who met yesterday were really discussing. The EPL is the most commercially successful league around because compared to the others it is relatively equitable when it comes to the moolah. Personally I think if these 5 teams were really discussing a closed shop league they will be signing their own death warrants. I think they are confusing football fans with american football fans and they will come right unstuck !!