Embra What Kin Dump - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Embra What Kin Dump

Come from a much maligned area, WestLothian.I can go to the the local shop and buy a loaf of bread without having to pass/pay/talk to beggars(*+dug).

I'm talking here not only on the sidestreets but the the main street, "capital city", Princes street, beggars, 'street entertainers' who presumably have a licence, screaming crap.

It's ages since I've been to Glasgow, tell me it's better.

Felt a bit inadequate re the 'what's your favourite' city thread cos I ain't been that far,however seeing Edinburgh popping up a few times near the top, I'm obviously not missing that much.

What a kin dump.

Come from a much maligned area, WestLothian.I can go to the the local shop and buy a loaf of bread without having to pass/pay/talk to beggars(*+dug).

I'm talking here not only on the sidestreets but the the main street, "capital city", Princes street, beggars, 'street entertainers' who presumably have a licence, screaming crap.

Felt a bit inadequate re the 'what's your favourite' city thread cos I ain't been that far,however seeing Edinburgh popping up a few times near the top, I'm obviously not missing that much.

What a kin dump.

You've not been missed in the past and you won't be missed in the future

I'm in Glasgow.

On my way to work I pass round about 6 beggars and big issue sellers.

At lunchtime if I go out I'll need to negotiate numerous beggers and chuggers

Head home past a few beggers but most will have knocked off by then.

Get home put my feet up and around once a week a chugger will be at my door.

I couldn't afford to give money to the number of people that ask me each day and it is hard to walk past the same folk each day. Number has gone up hugely in the last few years.

On a Saturday Buchanan street is a nightmare with entertainers on the street. My most hated are the fake highlanders smashing drums next to Nelson Mandela place. I don't know how the people that work near there put up with it.

I'm in Glasgow.

I couldn't afford to give money to the number of people that ask me each day and it is hard to walk past the same folk each day. Number has gone up hugely in the last few years.

On a Saturday Buchanan street is a nightmare with entertainers on the street. My most hated are the fake highlanders smashing drums next to Nelson Mandela place. I don't know how the people that work near there put up with it.

the highland drummers are quite "known" - they played half time at Murrayfield or Hampden once. Like you, they annoy the feck out me. one of them in particular has quite annoying mannerisms as he bangs his drum it is all I can do to stop lobbing something at him whenever I walk past.

I don't think the number of beggars is any more or any less than previous years. There are clearly significantly more Roma selling The Big Issue (and playing their accordions) of late but at the same time, the aggressive hassling from the likes if Shelter and Amnesty sellers has subsided.

I'm in Glasgow.

A lot of public chugging

What a kin dump.

Aye, you're just confused by the 'lectric.

Get back to your cave ya Hick.

Agreed, none of this pish is tolerated in Aberdream.

It used to be, but I'm going back a good few years. That wee square at the top end of Union street used to be full of winos and beggars. They seem to have disappeared though. I assumed they had either moved into Wetherspoons or headed south to Edinburgh. I think they must have bypassed Dundee for some reason? I have only ever seen one beggar in Dundee who used to sit at the bottom end of the Perth Road. Not seen him for a while ether. Plenty Big Issue sellers but they aren't beggars. They are awright, just trying to make a wee bit of money.

I have been to Edinburgh a number of times but mainly for weekend breaks and haven't really noticed an unusually high number of beggars. That may be due to the fact i work in Glasgow city centre and sadly may be a bit immune to it . I have worked in the centre for 15 years and remember the first few weeks, i was quite sad at the number of beggars and handed out quite a bit. Even bought one a jumper. Like a previous poster said though , it is impossible to help them all.

The worst was a few days after the referendum. A young boy in his early teens was sleeping under some cardboard in a doorway in Queen st. I had not seen someone so young sleeping rough. I burst out crying thinking we bad been given a chance to change things and we blew it. I realise there was no guarantee of change but we would now never know.

I am not sure though that Glasgow or Edinburgh have more beggars than any other city.

the highland drummers are quite "known" - they played half time at Murrayfield or Hampden once. Like you, they annoy the feck out me. one of them in particular has quite annoying mannerisms as he bangs his drum it is all I can do to stop lobbing something at him whenever I walk past.

I don't think the number of beggars is any more or any less than previous years. There are clearly significantly more Roma selling The Big Issue (and playing their accordions) of late but at the same time, the aggressive hassling from the likes if Shelter and Amnesty sellers has subsided.

The Romas playing the accordions genuinely bring a smile to my face. They are so upbeat. As is the wee bloke who 'plays' a toy guitar which only has 2 strings. He just batters his hands against the guitar whilst wailing some indescribable tune, smiling away to himself.

The worst is the Jimi Hendrix wannabe with the mega amp who would deafen a nuclear explosion.

It used to be, but I'm going back a good few years. That wee square at the top end of Union street used to be full of winos and beggars. They seem to have disappeared though. I assumed they had either moved into Wetherspoons or headed south to Edinburgh. I think they must have bypassed Dundee for some reason? I have only ever seen one beggar in Dundee who used to sit at the bottom end of the Perth Road. Not seen him for a while ether. Plenty Big Issue sellers but they aren't beggars. They are awright, just trying to make a wee bit of money.

Sounds like it was Dundee you were in, not Aberdeen.

You're most welcome.

There are loads of people begging in Edinburgh, many legit but plenty doing it as a 'job'. I used to give money to lots of beggers but I now find the simplest way to identify the real needy cases is to offer to get them some food/drink instead of cash. Once I get to know them, I'll give them money as well.

Sitting at the window of a mcdonalds just off princes st 3 beggars with their paper cups oot every one of them smoking one was a joint,another came along and pulled out 3 bottles of beer and passed them around.The one with the joint wasnt happy cause he didnt get one cue a wee stramash and eventually was told to eff off.Naw i,ll no bother putting anything in their wee cups.

As an aside was driving past a church in kirkcaldy as it was coming out and their was a beggar sitting right in the path as the folk were coming out.never seen this before.

Sitting at the window of a mcdonalds just off princes st 3 beggars with their paper cups oot every one of them smoking one was a joint,another came along and pulled out 3 bottles of beer and passed them around.The one with the joint wasnt happy cause he didnt get one cue a wee stramash and eventually was told to eff off.Naw i,ll no bother putting anything in their wee cups.

As an aside was driving past a church in kirkcaldy as it was coming out and their was a beggar sitting right in the path as the folk were coming out.never seen this before.

Personally if i had the choice of spending a couple of quid i would choose to throw it in their cup than line the pockets of macdonalds .

Sounds like life on the street, in the snow, is just one big party . Think i might even give up my nice cosy house to give it a whirl.