Younger / New Faces For March Friendlies ? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Younger / New Faces For March Friendlies ?

MikeyGC

Very encouraging to hear that McGinn is on the radar from McGhee, although I would've thought he's too scottish for mcghee's taste! Heres hoping that it translates to actual game time rather than that 'let them experience the 1st team squad' stuff that is used to often. Id like to see him and Ryan Fraser given a chance for sure, but most importantly for me would be to give Bannan a chance in the middle. He's in fantastic form and technique wise is miles ahead of anyone else in the squad apart from steven fletcher maybe, lets see him in his favourite position.

Edited by Paulo2576

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Very encouraging to hear that McGinn is on the radar from McGhee, although I would've thought he's too scottish for mcghee's taste! Heres hoping that it translates to actual game time rather than that 'let them experience the 1st team squad' stuff that is used to often. Id like to see him and Ryan Fraser given a chance for sure, but most importantly for me would be to give Bannan a chance in the middle. He's in fantastic form and technique wise is miles ahead of anyone else in the squad apart from steven fletcher maybe, lets see him in his favourite position.

Agree with all of the above. I see the highly rated Charlie Gilmour of Arsenal is turning out for our u17s tonight after a brief defection to England. Welcome back.

51 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You don't do sarcasm I take it ?

My reference to "supposed superstars" is a reference to the Rangurz fan boy journalists in the last few months who have been touting Holt, Wilson, Mackay etc for call ups.

Lee Wallace over Andy Robertson, Keiran Tierney or Graeme Shinnie at left back ? No thanks. At least the aforementioned three are better players and also playing at a higher level than him. Wallace willingly threw away his Scotland career to earn easy money playing against part timers for the last few years.

Where's your proof that Alex Mowatt has switched nationality to Scotland ? 

Did you not see that Scott Arfield declared for Canada the other week ? He's their player now.

Barrie McKay will play for Scotland within 2 years.

32 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Heres hoping that it translates to actual game time rather than that 'let them experience the 1st team squad' stuff that is used to often. Id like to see him and Ryan Fraser given a chance for sure, 

Ryan Fraser is injured

I like the idea of two squads and giving some new players a chance.  My worry is that we are up against some decent sides in the two games and we don't have the depth to compete with half squads, particularly in defence.  However, it is just a couple of friendlies and if just 1 or 2 new players do well enough to force their way into the trimmed down squad, it will be worth doing. 

Personally, I'd like to see two squads purposely picked to try different set of tactics.  I'd have the squad to play Czech Rep (A) set up to play a counter attack system and the squad to play Denmark (H) with the players that would suit a system where we look to keep the ball for longer periods and dictate the play.

Assuming Morrison, McArthur and Fraser are all unavailable, I'd quite like to see something like this -

CZECH REP XI (A)

Gordon

Hutton...Martin...Mulgrew...Tierney

Bannan...Brown

Forrest..........Cairney..............Anya

Griffiths

- v -

Fletcher

McCormack..........Naismith............Snodgrass

Fletcher....Bridcutt

Robertson...Hanley...Cooper...Patterson

Marshall

DENMARK XI (H)

Other players that I'd like to see in the squads include; Bain, Archer, Dorrans, Christie, Armstrong, McGinn, Jack, Shinnie, Henderson, Gauld, Ritchie, Russell, Rhodes & Watt.  I'm sure I've forgotten a few but there you go. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I like the idea of two squads and giving some new players a chance.  My worry is that we are up against some decent sides in the two games and we don't have the depth to compete with half squads, particularly in defence.  However, it is just a couple of friendlies and if just 1 or 2 new players do well enough to force their way into the trimmed down squad, it will be worth doing. 

Personally, I'd like to see two squads purposely picked to try different set of tactics.  I'd have the squad to play Czech Rep (A) set up to play a counter attack system and the squad to play Denmark (H) with the players that would suit a system where we look to keep the ball for longer periods and dictate the play.

Assuming Morrison, McArthur and Fraser are all unavailable, I'd quite like to see something like this -

CZECH REP XI (A)

Gordon

Hutton...Martin...Mulgrew...Tierney

Bannan...Brown

Forrest..........Cairney..............Anya

Griffiths

- v -

Fletcher

McCormack..........Naismith............Snodgrass

Fletcher....Bridcutt

Robertson...Hanley...Cooper...Patterson

Marshall

DENMARK XI (H)

Other players that I'd like to see in the squads include; Bain, Archer, Dorrans, Christie, Armstrong, McGinn, Jack, Shinnie, Henderson, Gauld, Ritchie, Russell, Rhodes & Watt.  I'm sure I've forgotten a few but there you go. 

Tierney ? Forrest ? Patterson ? Cooper ? 

You're taking the pish, right ? What in God's name have any of the above done to deserve a call up ?

5 minutes ago, Rossy said:

You're taking the pish, right ? What in God's name have any of the above done to deserve a call up ?

Tierney looks very good.  I can't think of a better left-back (other than Robertson who will be in the other squad).

Forrest is a player I rate.  I know I'm in a minority but that doesn't bother me on here.

Patterson and Cooper are there because we don't really have any other options in those positions.  It says more about our lack of options rather their their quality.  When the two squads are amalgamated again for the Italy and France games, they would be gone - unless they impressed in their game next month.  

8 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Add Gordon, Christie, McGinn and Henderson to that list.

Gordon's been useless this season, Christie doesn't play football (but is one for the future), and McGinn and Henderson playing OK against Alloa and Dumbarton in no way means they deserve a call up.

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Tierney looks very good.  I can't think of a better left-back (other than Robertson who will be in the other squad).

Forrest is a player I rate.  I know I'm in a minority but that doesn't bother me on here.

Patterson and Cooper are there because we don't really have any other options in those positions.  It says more about our lack of options rather their their quality.  When the two squads are amalgamated again for the Italy and France games, they would be gone - unless they impressed in their game next month.  

You don't think that Shinnie is a better left-back that Tierney ?

5 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Doesn't he play in midfield these days?

He can play both.

He's been consistently excellent this season. The best player in the Premiership along with Griffiths.

He was excellent for ICT last season.

Deserves a call-up ahead of most players in Scotland, most certainly ahead of an untried youngster (with obvious potential, nothing more) who just happens to play for Celtic.

The only players who are definitely worth  a call up on merit are Shinnie, Griffiths, Tierney and Rhodes imo.

We desperately need options at centre back though and any names there are worth a shout.

Shinnie and Tierney are at slightly different stages of development I think.

I wouldn't like to see Tierney rushed in too soon if that makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Rossy said:

He can play both.

He's been consistently excellent this season. The best player in the Premiership along with Griffiths.

He was excellent for ICT last season.

Deserves a call-up ahead of most players in Scotland, most certainly ahead of an untried youngster (with obvious potential, nothing more) who just happens to play for Celtic.

I'm not sure he is good enough to get into Scotland's midfield.  Nowhere near the level of Fletcher, Morrison, McArthur...

Left-back? maybe.  But if we are moving Aberdeen midfielders to full-back, I think we'd gain more by playing Jack at right-back as we don't have decent options to force Hutton out of the team.

I'm happy with my choices of Robertson and Tierney for left-back. 

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

The only players who are definitely worth  a call up on merit are Shinnie, Griffiths, Tierney and Rhodes imo.

We desperately need options at centre back though and any names there are worth a shout.

Shinnie and Tierney are at slightly different stages of development I think.

I wouldn't like to see Tierney rushed in too soon if that makes sense.

It makes absolute sense. Tierney is one for a few years time, if he makes it. 

I agree completely about Rhodes. An acknowledged goalscorer, who's constantly overlooked because Strachan can't see past a (failed) system.

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm not sure he is good enough to get into Scotland's midfield.  Nowhere near the level of Fletcher, Morrison, McArthur...

Left-back? maybe.  But if we are moving Aberdeen midfielders to full-back, I think we'd gain more by playing Jack at right-back as we don't have decent options to force Hutton out of the team.

I'm happy with my choices of Robertson and Tierney for left-back. 

He's not a midfielder, he's a left-back.

I'm happy with my choice of Shinnie, one of the outstanding players in Scotland this season, over an untried, untested kid who just happens to play for Celtic.

35 minutes ago, Rossy said:

29 minutes ago, deecie said:

Who even are they?

Paterson is the guy who scored the goal which knocked your team out of the Scottish cup.

hope that helps ;)

6 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Paterson is the guy who scored the goal which knocked your team out of the Scottish cup.

hope that helps ;)

Ah!

I assumed it was just a list of random Celtic youngsters.

I would not be against the kid 'Paterson' or his good mate 'Nicholson' being in one of the squads.

Are they for sale? Would they like to play in next seasons Champions League?

5 minutes ago, deecie said:

Ah!

I assumed it was just a list of random Celtic youngsters.

I would not be against the kid 'Paterson' or his good mate 'Nicholson' being in one of the squads.

Are they for sale? Would they like to play in next seasons Champions League?

I was forgiving the spelling. 

I wouldn't have either of them in any Scotland squad anytime soon anyway, both been pretty poor recently and need to become a lot more consistent before they can be considered 

3 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Very encouraging to hear that McGinn is on the radar from McGhee, although I would've thought he's too scottish for mcghee's taste!

well.....has anyone seen mcghees comments? i think he has his hands full with motherwell at the moment, Mccall was quoted as saying he is being monitored, that toilet paper rag the daily mail mentioned it being being mcghee that was signing his praises and i think people have incorrectly picked it up from there,

58 minutes ago, slasher said:

Not sure about Paterson. He's improved but enough to merit a cap?

I'd normally say no but right-back is fast becoming a problem position for us. None of Hutton, Whittaker or Bardsley are playing much. Neither is Anya who I think could do a job for us there.

As such, players that wouldn't normally be considered have to be looked at.