New League Cup Format & Winter Break Next Season - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New League Cup Format & Winter Break Next Season

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper a good idea, though part of me feels its just papering over the cracks of the League Cup.

Ultimately it will not achieve much, as the cup winners do not get a place in Europe, so really once the original shine of the new format starts to rub off its just going to go the way of lot of idea's and proposal that have been put forward in the past.

Timing of it is rather odd.... clearly rushed through last night before the Scottish Football Conference at Hampden today to avoid incidents like Barry Hern last year where he gets totally ripped into the people running the game here.

Edited by wanderer

They were moaning about the football programme being decimated at the weekend due to the weather, and saying to bring in a winter break. The fact is our weather is so fickle that we can get shit weather anytime from November to April, so we will still have the same problem of fixture congestion. Waste of time IMO

I don't buy the "we can have crappy weather any time, so there's no point having a break" argument.

Yes, our climate is crap for playing football November-February. However it is colder and wetter in December and January than at any other time. So it's logical to have a break within this period.

If we start the season earlier (say to coincide with the 1st round of European qualifiers...) then we can get a jump start to the season, all teams will start at the same time and we'll be able to take advantage of the light nights and decent weather. Play up until after the Christmas/New Year games, then stop for a couple of weeks.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Starting the season earlier while having a winter break and playing more games to cut the amount of games teams play is genius.

How often do we play midweek league games compared to English Championship?

They seem to play nearly every other week. Our teams tend to play only once a week at present.

How often do we play midweek league games compared to English Championship?

They seem to play nearly every other week. Our teams tend to play only once a week at present.

To be fair they do have 46 games to get through before May usually.

Think outwith the festive period we have two midweek dates and usually one after the split.

well Scottish football is getting cash for playing when no one else is really so thats good, our season needs to be different from England as we cant compete on telly there. So thats a plus I think

I also see the champions of BOTH the High;and and Lowland leagues are to be included, Again I think thats good news.

Although what will happen if one gets promoted this year.

Overall a plus.

far from perfect and trying something different. So positive response from me...

Until they get rid of the playing 4 times a year in the league who cares, Hibs (etc) could potentially have played Alloa (etc) 8 times this year...yawn

Theoretically they could play Alloa 10 times. 4 x league, 2 legged play off, challenge cup, league cup, Scottish cup, Scottish cup replay.

Theoretically they could play Alloa 10 times. 4 x league, 2 legged play off, challenge cup, league cup, Scottish cup, Scottish cup replay.

Did it not say something about best 2nd place getting through from the League Cup groups?

They could meet twice there bringing the total to 11.

I see Ann Budge is pissed off with the SPFL again, as she says there was no consultation with the clubs, and she only heard about the changes through the media. Typical of the numpties running Scottish football. Fair play to Budge, she isn't afraid to stand up and be counted.

Remains to be seen if it will work but dont see why it wont. good on them for having a go and trying somehting new. we need more of this willingness to give new things a shot. too many clubs stuck with the status quo.

though not surprising they didnt consult the clubs. even with a good move they manage to screw it up.

I was under the impression that the idea was to regionalise the group stages. So Dundee would have Utd, St Johnstone, Arbroath & Forfar (or something like that).

There'd be a mix of divisions and also local derbies, in order to try and add a bit of excitement and attract crowds.

God knows who the Dons will be pitched in with. I'd rather we were in with the Dundee teams but suspect it'd be ICT & Ross County + 2 others. We'll just have to ensure we're in Europe and avoid this quandary.

well they said it will be regional as much as possible. also that it would be seeded, so we will probably end up with an SPL team next season! :lol:

Is that really a drawback?

I'll take a day out at Hampden seeing my team lift a trophy over a gubbing in Azerbaijan in July...

Don't get me wrong, its great seeing your team win a national cup, but since it lost its European place a few years back, its always been regarded as the Micky Mouse Cup (that is until your team reaches the semi's and have a chance of winning it....) which is why at the start of every season when asked which of the two cups I would like to see won its always the Scottish Cup, as at least winning that can see you get into Europe.

which is why at the start of every season when asked which of the two cups I would like to see won its always the Scottish Cup

Mr stating the obvious!

Just for the record. I would rather Scotland won the World Cup than the Qatar Airways cup.

P.S.

Who asks you that every season? Is it the same person?

Edited by iainmac1

Mr stating the obvious!

Just for the record. I would rather Scotland won the World Cup than the Qatar Airways cup.

P.S.

Who asks you that every season? Is it the same person?

:lol: