Giving Up Booze For A Year. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Giving Up Booze For A Year.

The cameraphone and Facebook have essentially taken over that role (usually with pictures taken/posted by folk who are as drunk as the person they photograph).

Agreed that it's a horrible trait - often says a lot more about the person doing the 'cliping' than the supposed bad behaviour they're talking about.

Edited by neilser

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about given it up a few times but given most social situations I'm in involve people drinking then I do worry that I'd end up a bit of a recluse. Really hate being around drunk people when not drinking.

Are your friends drinkers, and if so, how do you find it?

Most of my friends are drinkers yeah, but it doesn't bother me. We're all young guys with young families and still very much frightened of our wives/girlfriends... So if we are doing something where there is drink to be taken chances are they won't over do it.

I would never give up alchol unless one more drink would kill me

everything in moderation ..a beer or glass of wine a day is fine, the odd blow out too

if its all or nothing for some people then fair enough, cant understand that but there you go..

moderate drinkers live longer ..;-)

sure i spent my youth getting pissed far too often, some great laughs but also cost me in other ways.

i will be advising my sons to try moderation but will see if they listen in the future..

Top man Kmcca5 All the best to both of you

Neilser as Parklife says just exercise and then treat yourself.I lost six stone by watching what I was eating and walking (over about a two year period) though I never starved myself or went without,to maintain that weight I still walk for 3-4 hours a day and that means I can eat and drink what I want.

Can I ask what you do for a living? Walking for 4 hours a day would mean me leaving the house at 6am and not getting home till 7pm (and strolling around outside work/home for an hour either side!). I work in an office so not any significant walking within my working day. I do tend to walk home most nights and thought I was doing well at around an hour a day but your 4 hours pisses all over that!

Can I ask what you do for a living? Walking for 4 hours a day would mean me leaving the house at 6am and not getting home till 7pm (and strolling around outside work/home for an hour either side!). I work in an office so not any significant walking within my working day. I do tend to walk home most nights and thought I was doing well at around an hour a day but your 4 hours pisses all over that!

He's including all the journeys to the fridge to grab a beer :-)

I work shifts 6-2 one week,2-10 the next in East Kilbride

On earlies I walk 30mins before work at 6am,30 mins directly after work ,I get a lift and need to walk to get picked up,1;30 before dinner and 1;30 after dinner (hail,rain or shine)

On backshift I leave the house at 8am and usually do 10 mile which is about 2 and half hours,another 2 mile from EK town centre to work and then another 2 mile when I get dropped off at 10.20pm

At the weekend I usually get up at between 6 and 7 and do a straight 3-4 hours to get my exercise out of the way before doing whatever I'm doing the rest of the day,if I'm going to Aberdeen I have seen me get up earlier and get the work in before going on it all day.

I actually enjoy doing it though my wife thinks it's my middle age crisis and I'm a bit mental

On earlies I walk 30mins before work at 6am,30 mins directly after work ,I get a lift and need to walk to get picked up,1;30 before dinner and 1;30 after dinner (hail,rain or shine)

On backshift I leave the house at 8am and usually do 10 mile which is about 2 and half hours,another 2 mile from EK town centre to work and then another 2 mile when I get dropped off at 10.20pm

At the weekend I usually get up at between 6 and 7 and do a straight 3-4 hours to get my exercise out of the way before doing whatever I'm doing the rest of the day,if I'm going to Aberdeen I have seen me get up earlier and get the work in before going on it all day.

I actually enjoy doing it though my wife thinks it's my middle age crisis and I'm a bit mental

That is brilliant! I sit on my arse driving most days so walking not so much of an option. Although on the days I work from home I could just walk about on the phone.... I might give that a shot.

I find the morning and a few days after a big session that I am a miserable bstard and can be moody with the wife and kids. Would hope that stops, or perhaps I'll just find out that I am a moody c&nt after all.

Do you have a fit bit or anything like that? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OVTAG9G?keywords=fit%20bit&qid=1448900966&ref_=sr_1_2&s=sports&sr=1-2

Edited by kmcca5

I find the morning and a few days after a big session that I am a miserable bstard

Yes. If i've had a big night out where i've seriously indulged, i normally feel miserable for days afterwards. I feel guilty for drinking, i feel bad about my physique and struggle to motivate myself to work as hard as i can (both in the gym and at work).

Good on you for supporting your mate. You should post the odd update on here to say how you are getting on/whether you feel the health benefits.

I'm always thinking about jacking it in. I do a lot of running training and feel like it is easily the main thing that is holding me back. I would do it in moderation if I could, but I find it a struggle i.e. after 2-3 pints there's no looking back.

I'd say I drink on average about once every 2-3 weeks - generally never bother with a beer/wine to relax or anything.

When I have a proper session I am fvcked for days afterwards.

I do enjoy getting a bevvy though. Sometimes it just doesn't feel worth it.

Nothing wrong with moderate consumption of diet fizzy drinks. It's funny how folk think aspartame is the devil despite no solid scientific evidence.

That stuff plays havoc with my head. Serious migraine when I drink more than a mouth full of moat diet drinks.

I gradually wound down my drinking from about 10 years ago (I was never a heavy drinker, but did it most weekends). It wasn't a conscious decision, just gradually went out less often and drank less when I did go out because hangovers got worse due to my body not being used to the alcohol.

I now only really drink at big Scotland games and the odd night out, maybe about four times a year in total and then never more than about three or four pints (I never drank in the house so that helped). Can't think of anything that would make me go back to drinking - I just don't enjoy it enough. I took a fair bit of flak/banter when I began missing out on a round here and there (always bought my share), now no-one bothers. I would recommend it, but I think moderation is a much better road to take. No need to get all born-again about it.

Also have a couple of mates who went in for pro bodybuilding competitions, and one was also a pro sprinter. They occasionally purged themselves before competition by drinking water, eating chicken, no sauces etc. Both said you feel great, supple skin, more energy etc.

If only I could give up Coke!

Edited by Stapes

That stuff plays havoc with my head. Serious migraine when I drink more than a mouth full of moat diet drinks.

There's no better cure for something you want to stop than the threat of something worse - cancer, migraine etc. Found out chocolate (amongst other things) was giving me them. Gave it up immediately, although I've found a couple of makes I can eat so sneak a wee bit now and again.

Edited by Stapes

I gradually wound down my drinking from about 10 years ago (I was never a heavy drinker, but did it most weekends). It wasn't a conscious decision, just gradually went out less often and drank less when I did go out because hangovers got worse due to my body not being used to the alcohol.

I now only really drink at big Scotland games and the odd night out, maybe about four times a year in total and then never more than about three or four pints (I never drank in the house so that helped). Can't think of anything that would make me go back to drinking - I just don't enjoy it enough. I took a fair bit of flak/banter when I began missing out on a round here and there (always bought my share), now no-one bothers. I would recommend it, but I think moderation is a much better road to take. No need to get all born-again about it.

Also have a couple of mates who went in for pro bodybuilding competitions, and one was also a pro sprinter. They occasionally purged themselves before competition by drinking water, eating chicken, no sauces etc. Both said you feel great, supple skin, more energy etc.

If only I could give up Coke!

I hear ye brother, it's a hell of a drug.

Very nice gesture doing this for your pal! Hope it goes well. Might give your mate that wee bit of extra strength to beat this disease and get well!

Word of warning though it's not easy following Scotland sober. Done it once in Prague the 4-6-0 joke. Thought somebody had stuck ecstasy in my orange juice haven't been sober at a game since haha

All the best

Hope your mate gets better and both of you can stay off it, been trying myself since late September and started a wee bit hill walking and swimming on alternate weeks. Not so much hill walking being done at the moment but managing 2 miles in the pool 4 times a week. Have managed to loss more than. 2 stone and aiming for another 2 to reach my target weight.

Like has been said before, stay away from sugar and carbs as well as the drink even though I still manage a few now and again. Diet fizzy juice is my downfall without any side effects.

Wife even says I have stopped snoring........

Hope he makes a full recovery mate.

I took up walking last year and found it quite addictive, so much so my walking took over other things. I'm on the mend now and walk responsibly. I've cut back to 90 minutes per day. It's great though. Time just to do nothing but walk and gather my thoughts. :ok: