Barry Ferguson On Youth Football - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Barry Ferguson On Youth Football

er yir macaroon

er yir macaroon, on 13 Nov 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-ferguson-learned-more-five-6823270

Say what you like about him as a Scotland player (I thought he was superb on the pitch), this a great article.

A great article? Really? He uses a lot of words to say not very much.

He wants kids to play the playstation less and enjoy playing football more? Fantastic insight... How we going to achieve that? Barry doesn't tell us that, unsurprisingly. The part about "getting booted up and down the park" being fantastic is ridiculous.

I'm not involved in youth football but it's obvious that the more touches of a ball a kid has, the more they'll learn and develop.

He's also saying we should go back 30 years, an era which produced all the players that have failed to get us to any tournaments in so long. Quality idea :ok:

er yir macaroon, on 13 Nov 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

If Ryan Jack had written that you'd be pushing for a Purlitzer Prize.

I'm judging the article on its content, not its author. Who, for your information, i thought was a fantastic player and probably the best player Scotland has produced in the last 20 years.

We're allowed to have different opinions. :ok:

er yir macaroon, on 13 Nov 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

Fair enough, if you could recognise his talent you are due some credit.

Ryan Jack is actually pretty similar in style to Ferguson later in his career ;)

I think there's something on what he says about playing in the reserves as opposed to youth teams.

I think there is a point where playing against other players of the same age stops having any benefit and to improve you need to test yourself against stronger and better players.

It's not about being kicked up and down the park - well there is an element of that - but it's about being able to avoid being kicked up and down the park and being able to impose yourself on the game and physically stronger players, because lets face it that's exactly what they are going to face if they make it into the first team.

I think that scrapping the reserve leagues and bringing in the development league was a laudable attempt to kick start youth development but arguably it hasn't worked and we're really no further forwards than we were 17 years ago when it was introduced.

I'm not really sure what the answer is myself and I don't think its as simple as turning the clock back 30 years.

er yir macaroon, on 13 Nov 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Controversially, so is Barrie Mackie in the way he plays with his head up - but he's also similar to Durrant in the way he glides past opponents. He could be top drawer if allowed to play in an advance midfield role (instead of out wide).

I've never seen the guy play, so i'll have to take your word for that.

Anyway, back on topic...

We're always hearing how great our coach training scheme is at Largs, is that a lot of pish? Seems the Scotland manager doesn't rate it much.

A lot of our heroes from the 60's and 70's were farmed out to Junior Football to toughen them up and they did alright maybe we should try that again.

Sometimes I think people forget the 60s and 70s was 40-50 years ago. Football has changed enormously in that time. We shouldn't be looking back at what we did then. We should be looking at what successful smaller nations are doing now.

Sometimes I think people forget the 60s and 70s was 40-50 years ago. Football has changed enormously in that time. We shouldn't be looking back at what we did then. We should be looking at what successful smaller nations are doing now.

Big fan of Ferguson the player and, whilst he may be right about Xbox, iPad etc, I am sure the Belgian, Icelandic and Welsh kids have them too.

Well it's back to basics for this man as a solution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-34808346

Look at the weather we are getting over the next few weeks......good indoor facilities with decent "training" for young kids make it fun and the kids will want to go for a couple of hours....plenty of ball work to give basic skills it's not that hard to work out.....we need the money and the will to make it happen....hopefully strachan and mcclair will help to push it on but it's a long term programme no quick easy answer

Edited by Ally boy 69

People (ex-players) talk about youth development as if its a one dimensional, one-fix vehicle.

Its a huge collection of processes starting from skill acquisition at 4,5,6 years old through to the first-team process at 18,19,20 years old.

It might be true that certain clubs ''over-coach'' certain players at certain ages but suggesting this across the board is a huge generalization.

Modern coaches have a different job now than in the past, because of changed lifestyles we have to recreate the environment that players gave themselves and allow them the missing touches in the skill acquisition phase.

Just to mention a few fawcetts of it, we need to increase investment across the board through better sponsership.

I would limit the number of players elite clubs can release post under 15's to change a culture of mass production as opposed to development.

And finally roll out a ''Guided discovery'' coaching approach from the SFA, educating beginner coaches from level 1.1 through to the pro-license on turning players into problem solvers.