Remembrance Weekend - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Remembrance Weekend

For years when I started to go to football there was nothing at all at games.

Minute's silences were reserved for the passing of ex players, directors and managers with the very odd exception for the likes of Dunblane.

Personally always buy and wear a poppy but think the whole Remembrance thing has lost a lot with it being turned into something that football clubs especially have to be seen to making a big effort about.

Always thought Hearts did everything right - their own quite service every year with as little fanfare as possible.

No we seem to be at a 'look at what we're doing' phase.

No very dignified at all in my opinion.

Agreed.

It seems to be used by some as a sort of one upmanship rather than a remembrance.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years when I started to go to football there was nothing at all at games.

Minute's silences were reserved for the passing of ex players, directors and managers with the very odd exception for the likes of Dunblane.

Personally always buy and wear a poppy but think the whole Remembrance thing has lost a lot with it being turned into something that football clubs especially have to be seen to making a big effort about.

Always thought Hearts did everything right - their own quite service every year with as little fanfare as possible.

No we seem to be at a 'look at what we're doing' phase.

No very dignified at all in my opinion.

Absolutely.

We've got to the stage with clubs issuing "Lest We Forget" merchandise and the like. Sticking poppies on almost everything just to prove how committed they are.

It's gotten really tacky now and detracts from the original purpose of Remembrance Day. Should be discontinued but everyone's too scared to speak out in case the Daily Mail readers and RangurzMeeja bigots make their life a misery in return.

One thing that really fecked me off in recent years was how Glasgow City Council spent hundreds of thousands publicising Remembrance Day - usually revolving around pointless photo ops with celebrities and celebratory dinners - whilst many of the cities war memorials were in a terrible state. I could barely make out my Great-Uncle's name on the Pollokshaws War Memorial as the memorial was caked in dirt and grime. It was appalling. Only a sustained on-line campaign got the memorials restored (including the P'shaws one which looks great now) and even then GCC took full credit for it. Bastards.

I do think it's gone too far, and shamefully been politicalised.

The weeks of build up, the poppy nazism, extremists on both sides jumping on the bandwagon.

The narrative being peddled that if you wear a poppy you are for the interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What happened to quiet remembrance of those fallen, those who didn't choose to go to war, those who joined up and did as they were ordered, those that stood up to Nazism, those that lost friends and relatives?

J

It's not really about remembering the dead anymore though, is it?

Circus was a word someone used earlier.

Ultimately it is. The whole Rememerbance thing has been b@astardised as a whole, but you choose to be faux outraged because it is Rangers.

Ultimately it is. The whole Rememerbance thing has been b@astardised as a whole, but you choose to be faux outraged because it is Rangers.

I'm not outraged, I find it interesting.

Rangers are a good case study on the bastardisation (in the context of Scottish football).

Probably trying to sweep old Adolf under the rug tbf...

Plus they lost.

Their Volkstrauertag is a day of mourning for all victims of war and other forms of government oppression. Ours is currently more in line with the Nazi's Heldengegenktag celebrating the glory of fallen heroes etc, I'd say.

Edited by adamntg

Their Volkstrauertag is a day of mourning for all victims of war and other forms of government oppression. Ours is currently more in line with the Nazi's Heldengegenktag celebrating the glory of fallen heroes etc, I'd say.

Good distinction. Sadly I fear we have moved to the latter, when we should definitely be in the former. It feels that this change happened round about the time we were involved in two unpopular wars in the Middle East. A kind of Government PR.

J

Good distinction. Sadly I fear we have moved to the latter, when we should definitely be in the former. It feels that this change happened round about the time we were involved in two unpopular wars in the Middle East. A kind of Government PR.

J

Yeap.

What used to be 'remembrance' quietly became 'patriotism'.

Started by Blair, but eagerly jumped upon by Cameron and the rest. The Daily Mail sponsored army of poppy fascists are out there making sure that you're toeing the patriotic line.

I do think it's gone too far, and shamefully been politicalised.

The weeks of build up, the poppy nazism, extremists on both sides jumping on the bandwagon.

The narrative being peddled that if you wear a poppy you are for the interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What happened to quiet remembrance of those fallen, those who didn't choose to go to war, those who joined up and did as they were ordered, those that stood up to Nazism, those that lost friends and relatives?

J

Spot on :ok:

Like most things London gets its D&G (Direction & Guidance) from USA (did ye see whit ah did there ?)

Militarism is endemic in America. Veterans this, Hero's that....Fly the Flag. When a state puts its military on such a pedestal it becomes more difficult for the public to criticise illegal wars and the criminal waste of service peoples lives. We know Americans don't do irony....it's an incredibly cynical governmental method of persuading Joe Public not to criticise it's soldiers because it (mindfvck-wise) may be seen as being disloyal towards the "policy" of Country & Flag (American Military-Industrial-Complex MIC).

"War is Good Business. Invest Your Sons"

Blair & Brown embraced the militarisation of our society using USA as the role model. It's no coincidence Armed Forces Day (AFD) and Remembrance Day were implemented as "useful" cynical Loyalist propaganda vehicles in London Labours time in government: -

1) Makes it more difficult to criticise the illegal war in Iraq 2003.

2) "Useful" Britfest bollox in the run up to our Independence Referendum (e.g. Stirling AFD (June 2014) was planned to co-incide with Bannockburn 2014 etc etc. The Army in Scotland were horrified at this BTW - categorically it was politically motivated)

Anyone who's served in the military, generally, mark the passing of our own, together. Armistice wasn't a particularly public gig. An 1100hrs wet, cauld Sunday November morning wasn't really conducive to bringing out the crowds..... it always somehow seemed fitting to remember an event that took place on 11 Nov 1918. Nae pomp or ceremony. Jist remembering oor ain.

AFD has become a June/summer event. Better crowds, ye see.

"Armistice" used to be a church parade, laying of wreaths (civic organisations, Old Comrades, cadet organisations & military) then lunch/drinks. In the ones I've been involved in (Ayr,Kilmarnok, Glasgow & Aberdeen) any ex-servicemen and immediate families were usually welcome to join the Regulars and Reservists at wherever the gig was being held. The public were normally welcome at their respective war memorials/cenotaphs. Aberdeen have always had a very strong Scots Guards, Parachute Regiment & Gordon Highlanders Associations, for example. Red berets, Guards berets and Glengarries everywhere. These lads ken where tae find us each other that particular annual Sunday, for example.

Medals are for wearing, not for being kept in an auld drawer. So, the "Old &Bold" get thegither, pull up a few sandbags and swing the lantern.....as they should. HLI are very strong in Glasgow as are RSF in Ayr as are RHF in baith toons. Its' braw. Relatives of the "Fallen" are entitled to wear their family members medals. Poignant disnae begin tae describe Auld Dears standing chittering in the rain but absolutely very determined tae be there....

The "Remembrance" and AFD circus today is cynical exploitative government Billy Brit pi$h. I detest what its become.

RIP Fusilier Russell Beeston, Fusilier Jason Smith, Sgt Gus Millar, Capt Walter Barrie & PO Stefan Morisette.

Like most things London gets its D&G (Direction & Guidance) from USA (did ye see whit ah did there ?)

Militarism is endemic in America. Veterans this, Hero's that....Fly the Flag. When a state puts its military on such a pedestal it becomes more difficult for the public to criticise illegal wars and the criminal waste of service peoples lives. We know Americans don't do irony....it's an incredibly cynical governmental method of persuading Joe Public not to criticise it's soldiers because it (mindfvck-wise) may be seen as being disloyal towards the "policy" of Country & Flag (American Military-Industrial-Complex MIC).

"War is Good Business. Invest Your Sons"

Blair & Brown embraced the militarisation of our society using USA as the role model. It's no coincidence Armed Forces Day (AFD) and Remembrance Day were implemented as "useful" cynical Loyalist propaganda vehicles in London Labours time in government: -

1) Makes it more difficult to criticise the illegal war in Iraq 2003.

2) "Useful" Britfest bollox in the run up to our Independence Referendum (e.g. Stirling AFD (June 2014) was planned to co-incide with Bannockburn 2014 etc etc. The Army in Scotland were horrified at this BTW - categorically it was politically motivated)

Anyone who's served in the military, generally, mark the passing of our own, together. Armistice wasn't a particularly public gig. An 1100hrs wet, cauld Sunday November morning wasn't really conducive to bringing out the crowds..... it always somehow seemed fitting to remember an event that took place on 11 Nov 1918. Nae pomp or ceremony. Jist remembering oor ain.

AFD has become a June/summer event. Better crowds, ye see.

"Armistice" used to be a church parade, laying of wreaths (civic organisations, Old Comrades, cadet organisations & military) then lunch/drinks. In the ones I've been involved in (Ayr,Kilmarnok, Glasgow & Aberdeen) any ex-servicemen and immediate families were usually welcome to join the Regulars and Reservists at wherever the gig was being held. The public were normally welcome at their respective war memorials/cenotaphs. Aberdeen have always had a very strong Scots Guards, Parachute Regiment & Gordon Highlanders Associations, for example. Red berets, Guards berets and Glengarries everywhere. These lads ken where tae find us each other that particular annual Sunday, for example.

Medals are for wearing, not for being kept in an auld drawer. So, the "Old &Bold" get thegither, pull up a few sandbags and swing the lantern.....as they should. HLI are very strong in Glasgow as are RSF in Ayr as are RHF in baith toons. Its' braw. Relatives of the "Fallen" are entitled to wear their family members medals. Poignant disnae begin tae describe Auld Dears standing chittering in the rain but absolutely very determined tae be there....

The "Remembrance" and AFD circus today is cynical exploitative government Billy Brit pi$h. I detest what its become.

RIP Fusilier Russell Beeston, Fusilier Jason Smith, Sgt Gus Millar, Capt Walter Barrie & PO Stefan Morisette.

what a post well said sir