Are Aberdeen Worse Than Rangers - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Aberdeen Worse Than Rangers

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that the season they sacked Alex Smith for coming second?

At the time, I found the decision to sack Alex Smith a bizarre one. Cove Sheep assures me it was the correct decision but it seemed weird at the time. Aberdeen deteriorated as a team after they got rid of him.

Was that the season they sacked Alex Smith for coming second?

I recall that he was sacked mid-season, possibly the season after the final day defeat at Ibrox? Possibly some poor cup results helped to seal his fate?

I mind the next time we Played Aberdeen the club handed out wee badges outside the ground on entry with the words "Was it really 5 last time?" on them.

The reason that was such a freak result back then is that Saints and Aberdeen respectively were a lot further apart as teams than we have been in recent times. I started following Saints as a young child when we were officially the worst team in the country. So for us to rise through the leagues into the top flight with a new stadium then demolish a team that not long ago had beaten Real Madrid in the CWC was unbelievable.

It wasn't the same team that beat Real Madrid.

Was at the game on the final day as a young lad of 8.

My memory is that Aberdeen had two great chances to go ahead before we scored the opener. A shot straight at Woods from about 10 yards and a header from Gillhaus from about 3 yards out that he put over.

We had been cruising that season then fell to bits around March. Only won 2 out of 6 which included a defeat at Pittodrie and an absolute horsing at Parkheid.

Crazy day and something that still remains as one of my favourite ever days. I think the final day was the only game we beat Aberdeen in the league that season.

I recall that he was sacked mid-season, possibly the season after the final day defeat at Ibrox? Possibly some poor cup results helped to seal his fate?

Have read up a bit more - indifferent league form plus defeats to Airdrie and Rangers in the domestic cups, and to BK1903 Copenhagen in the UEFA Cup. :oops:

At the time, I found the decision to sack Alex Smith a bizarre one. Cove Sheep assures me it was the correct decision but it seemed weird at the time. Aberdeen deteriorated as a team after they got rid of him.

Smith was sacked when Aberdeen were 6th in the league and having lost 5 consecutive home cup ties without scoring a goal.

Fans were staying away in ever increasing numbers and those that still go in the main were hugely critical of the manager.

To say the team deteriorated after his sacking is another myth. Willie Miller's 1st full season saw Aberdeen finished runners up in all 3 domestic competitions. You could also make a case for saying that the football we played that season was as good as any Aberdeen team had played with back to back 7-0 and 6-2 wins against Patrick and Hearts being examples of that.

The problem Willie Miller faced/caused was trying and ultimately failing to replace Bett, McLeish, Connor in particular all in one go.

Always amused to hear non Dons fans trot out the line that somehow sacking Alex Smith was wrong. It 100% wasn't.

Fair enough, I haven't had it explained like that previously. :ok: My recollection was that he was sacked, almost for losing to Rangers so happy to be corrected.

He did famously lose his bottle that day at ibrox

After playing 4-3-3 for the 10 game winning streak he changes it to 4-4-2 last day clearly going for the draw

( he had always said give me the chance to go for a win in last game)

Events the week before in my mind turned things around ; we had just beaten St johnstone (I think) at home ; rangers losing at Motherwell

( missed Walters pen at 0-0)

It was 2-0 well as our game finished

( meaning we still needed a win at ibrox)

Then well scored as we were leaving the ground ; 3-0 - good old trannies....a draw now needed......

The 2 dons chances you mentioned earlier were real half chances ; gilhaus was always struggling to keep that header down ; and the shot straight to Woods fell to our defensive mid Peter van de Ven ; I have seen pass backs with more oomph

- was behind the goal where this took place

Am still mentally scarred to this day.....

He did famously lose his bottle that day at ibrox

After playing 4-3-3 for the 10 game winning streak he changes it to 4-4-2 last day clearly going for the draw

( he had always said give me the chance to go for a win in last game)

Events the week before in my mind turned things around ; we had just beaten St johnstone (I think) at home ; rangers losing at Motherwell

( missed Walters pen at 0-0)

It was 2-0 well as our game finished

( meaning we still needed a win at ibrox)

Then well scored as we were leaving the ground ; 3-0 - good old trannies....a draw now needed......

The 2 dons chances you mentioned earlier were real half chances ; gilhaus was always struggling to keep that header down ; and the shot straight to Woods fell to our defensive mid Peter van de Ven ; I have seen pass backs with more oomph

- was behind the goal where this took place

Am still mentally scarred to this day.....

It was me that mentioned them mate. Aye I would agree with you about the chances, especially the header. From memory Van De Ven tried to hit it with the outside of his foot and made a complete erse of it?

The penalty miss by Walters was at 1-0 down. My memory may be sketchy with this, due to my age, but I think we were all over the top of Motherwell that day. Their second and third goals were breakaways with us pushing for the equaliser. The second in particular was an absolute screamer of a finish. One thing you have said that I didn't know was the goal difference. I always thought we were a point behind going into the game at Ibrox.

I can imagine it must still haunt you, especially as you had the beating of us that season. I've been very fortunate when it comes to last day deciders. I still remember them as being some of the best days ever going to the fitba' so I can imagine the reverse is also true.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly the first few games this season were a fluke! They are finding their level now lol.

On a serious note they badly miss Ryan Jack and County are a good side

We badly missed a full back, why mcinnes feels the need to make so many changes is beyond me. He played with four centre halves across the back last night.

County must have thought all their Christmases had come at once when they saw how we lined up.

At some point in most managers careers they seem to go through spells of being too clever for the want of a better phrase resulting in strange selections and formations.

Can only hope McInnes has finished his wee turn and that we get back to being a solid hard side to beat with a team and formation we all recognise because the answer to deservedly losing games with bizarre line ups & tactics sure ain't to keep on trying different bizarre line ups and tactics.

Edited by AberdeenAngus