Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal

Aye, it sounds like there could something dodgy about this "cashback" thing. I wonder of she rents out her properties to the cooncil who have to find places for homeless folk? Is the rent they are willing to pay based on property value maybe?

We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

That's really scummy behaviour if true...

It's years since I rented but while there is undoubtedly a link between how much property sells for and the rental price, I'd say that it's more at a market level than an individual property. For example, if you've a block of six flats, three are rented, three are owner occupied, the rental cost of each flat is likely to be the same and not dependent on what was paid for the property.

Just my take on the allegations and potential reasons for the alleged behavior as it took me a bit to think of why someone might do it in this way. Granted for most properties there will be a market rate so I could well be totally wrong on that one.

It also depends on the types of properties (flats or houses) as well as location (are all the properties close together or in different areas). Houses would be easier to set your own rent rate compared to a flat (house rental seems to becoming quite common now) and if the properties are all close by, it's feasible to be able to raise overall property prices in an area if you buy 3-4 similar properties nearby.

I'm also not 100% sure on how housing benefits etc. work these days but there are a lot of landlords that make a shitload of cash from charging high rents (compared to council houses) and getting the money via housing benefit due to the lack in council houses.

There may also be nothing untoward in it whatsoever but I struggle to see why you would want to have a higher property value than the market value except to make a profit somewhere and I thought of a couple reasons how you could conceivably do that.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling to understand myself what the scam is here - assuming there is one although the practice does appear on the surface to be dodgy.

I see that the allegations against the solicitor is that he facilitated mortgage fraud regardless of whether there was any actual fraud.

I could understand why you might conspire with a vendor to get a mortgage in excess of the sale price but the suggestion seems to be that there wasn't any fraud.

I'm definitely reserving judgement on this until the facts are apparent.

I am disgusted by the amount of rent my sister pays in Fife compared with the amount it would cost her each month for a mortgage - if she could only save up for the deposit.

On the other side of the coin the most reliable income to a small investor is in rent at the bottom end of the market. Never mind student flats in Edinburgh, you can get a better yield off a working class family in Grangemouth.

The answer as we all know is not to shame the small time investor (in Michelle Thomsons case 17 houses isn't small time) or a person who sold their council flat for a fat profit, but change the system. They are just doing their best based on the environment offered.

The real answer is to end right to buy, increase interest rates, and build a feck load more housing. None of which of will happen whether Jeremey Corbyn is in charge or not. Well, maybe higher interest rates.

Edited by Armchair Bob

Surely seeing Jackie Baillie's grinning fat fizzog revelling in a potential angle would make even a fervent Unionist think Michelle Thomson might be innocent even if she is as guilty as sin

Edited by Ally Bongo

Surely seeing Jackie Baillie's grinning fat fizzog revelling in a potential angle would make even a fervent Unionist think Michelle Thomson might be innocent even if she is as guilty as sin

I could possibly feel that... If I wasn't blinded by Michelle Thomsons scummy fat capitalist face.

I could possibly feel that... If I wasn't blinded by Michelle Thomsons scummy fat capitalist face.

On this i have to agree

I'm surprised that she managed to hide this from the SNP candidate vetters .

Clearly part of her selection was a thank you to the efforts of Business for Scotland

Think you could see that Nicola wasnt a happy bunny

As someone said earlier it doesnt shine well on the party on moral grounds

On this i have to agree

I'm surprised that she managed to hide this from the SNP candidate vetters .

Clearly part of her selection was a thank you to the efforts of Business for Scotland

Think you could see that Nicola wasnt a happy bunny

As someone said earlier it doesnt shine well on the party on moral grounds

What doesn't shine well, the fact she's a buy to let landlord or that there maybe some - as yet unspecified - dodginess around the deals?

What doesn't shine well, the fact she's a buy to let landlord or that there maybe some - as yet unspecified - dodginess around the deals?

I think Scotlad sums it up quite well

Allegedly she paid less for the properties than what was entered on the public records.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/scotland/article1609551.ece

That is what she has allegedly done wrong, legally. From a moral point of view - and this is just my personal opinion - it is, to put it mildly, pretty poor form for someone make him or herself wealthy on the back the misfortune of others. Then again, you could argue - and I am sure Michelle Thomson will - that it is better to help people out who are struggling with mortgage payments by buying their property from them than to see people bankrupt and homeless.

It is, though, politically embarrassing for a party who claim to be all about social equality and justice to have a prominent member who appears to have made a bonnie penny by buying up former council homes and letting them out on the private market.

That said, I do wonder if someone somewhere has it in for Michelle Thomson. First we have the Ashley Madison allegations and now this (both, neither or some of which may be true).

good to see Alan against the Tory policy of right to buy.

PIAK remarked on it a few pages ago, but it is both interesting and amusing to see how people react to a political matter depending on the political party involved.

Here we have a thread started by an arch-Tory, who has waxed lyrical in the past about the wonderfulness of right to buy, attacking someone for capitalising on the policy - because she is an SNP MP.

Then there are other folk, who would no doubt be up to high doh with righteous indignation if a 'Tory' (of any colour) had done the same thing as Michelle Thomson is alleged to have done, defending and deflecting with a desperation rarely seen from a bunch of Scots since the SFA put Craig Levein on gardening leave. :)

PIAK remarked on it a few pages ago, but it is both interesting and amusing to see how people react to a political matter depending on the political party involved.

Here we have a thread started by an arch-Tory, who has waxed lyrical in the past about the wonderfulness of right to buy, attacking someone for capitalising on the policy - because she is an SNP MP.

Then there are other folk, who would no doubt be up to high doh with righteous indignation if a 'Tory' (of any colour) had done the same thing as Michelle Thomson is alleged to have done, defending and deflecting with a desperation rarely seen from a bunch of Scots since the SFA put Craig Levein on gardening leave. :)

What is it, she is alleged to have done?

If I had to guess registering a higher price than you paid will do 2 things.

You can get a mortgage at a lower loan to value ratio than is true.

When you go to sell the place if it has gone up in value you will pay less capital gains tax.

The police investigation is one thing, I doubt if it will come to much regarding Thomson, but let's wait and see. Regardless, the whole thing does have a bad smell, and she needs to be open and, within the restraints of any legal process, give a full explanation of what she has been doing.