Well Done Corbyn For Not Singing Gstq - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Well Done Corbyn For Not Singing Gstq

It's fecking scandalous - there should be an alternative oath for elected representatives who'd prefer a republic. Why should they have to lie or go against their principles or even not take up their seat?

There are only about 30 monarchies in the world with all the other countries being republics, so it's not as if it's a totally wacky system for running a country.

And Elizabeth Windsor is the monarch of 16 out of those 30(ish) countries !

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fecking scandalous - there should be an alternative oath for elected representatives who'd prefer a republic. Why should they have to lie or go against their principles or even not take up their seat?

There are only about 30 monarchies in the world with all the other countries being republics, so it's not as if it's a totally wacky system for running a country.

Some like Corbyn and Benn, and that other Newly elected Labour chappy add "under protest" to their affirmation or vow.

Edit: I seem to remember years ago someone crossed their fingers and there was a bit of an uproar... There doesn't seem to be much uproar about adding "under protest", but we could expect to see that changed once the media start sharing Corbyns to show how much he hates the monarchy.

Edit edit: Corbyns is: "under protest, I take the oath required of me by law.". The young fella elected in May said something like "under protest, I take this oath in order to serve my constituents" which I think was a nice touch.

Edited by Scunnered

I can assure you that Sturgeon is not a republican. I have no doubt that she would allow a vote on the matter if the people wanted one... But she would not support it.

I can assure you if given the choice she would be. As would most of not all of the SNP leadership/politicians. Many of whom I've heard say as much.

It's a tactic to not change too much. The more that stays constant the more chance of Independence. The gradual approach. It would add another aspect to the debate that we could do without.

After independence it will be debated.

Edited by iainmac1

I can assure you that Sturgeon is not a republican. I have no doubt that she would allow a vote on the matter if the people wanted one... But she would not support it.

Ok, believe what you wish.

Its not what i have been told, or even what she said to me , a guid few years back now, but from the horses mouth, she is a republican unless she has changed over the last 10 or so years.

But if you can assure me than who knows... ;-)

I can assure you if given the choice she would be. As would most of not all of the SNP leadership/politicians. Many of whom I've heard say as much.

It's a tactic to not change too much. The more that stays constant the more chance of Independence. The gradual approach. It would add another aspect to the debate that we could do without.

After independence it will be debated.

If that's true about Sturgeon, and you'll forgive me for doubting it, it's rather disappointing. There's nothing in her politics at all that suggest she's not a monarchist. There are plenty of SNP politicians who are out as republicans, Natalie McGarry & Tommy Shepard are two who have told me so with their mouths and I'm sure there are many more who are publicly known.

Ok, believe what you wish.

Its not what i have been told, or even what she said to me , a guid few years back now, but from the horses mouth, she is a republican unless she has changed over the last 10 or so years.

But if you can assure me than who knows... ;-)

Nicola Sturgeon told me in Beith that she favours Neoliberal economics from her own mouth... Many on here doubt this despite evidence to the contrary... And they're perfectly entitled to do so.

There's no evidence whatsoever to your claim, so I'm sure you can forgive my doubt. :)

Nicola Sturgeon told me in Beith that she favours Neoliberal economics from her own mouth... Many on here doubt this despite evidence to the contrary... And they're perfectly entitled to do so.

There's no evidence whatsoever to your claim, so I'm sure you can forgive my doubt. :)

OK, your evidence is she told you

my evidence is she told me,,,

yet my evidence is not counted and yours is. ( scunnereds logic )

She told me in 2005 she would vote for a republic, she told you she favours neo liberal politics ( wtf that has to do with republicanism is beyond me)

but heyho SNP Bad is your mantra so she must be bad.,..

Any evidence to support that ? (its a pretty strong assurance)

Evidence? No. Sturgeon enjoys a lovely working relationship with the queen, a member of the privy council and is always very complimentary on the Monarchy's "public service" but above all is a populist and sadly a majority of Scots favour keeping the monarchy.

OK, your evidence is she told you

my evidence is she told me,,,

yet my evidence is not counted and yours is. ( scunnereds logic )

She told me in 2005 she would vote for a republic, she told you she favours neo liberal politics ( wtf that has to do with republicanism is beyond me)

but heyho SNP Bad is your mantra so she must be bad.,..

... FFS :lol: Edited by Scunnered

Poor Scunnered :(

BBC Breaking News @BBCBreaking 11m11 minutes ago

Jeremy Corbyn says he can't foresee situation where Labour under his leadership will campaign for Britain to leave EU http://bbc.in/1QGkHdl

So when Jeremy becomes a member of the privy council he becomes a monarchist ?

That how it works ?

No.

Poor Scunnered :(

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 11m11 minutes ago

Jeremy Corbyn says he can't foresee situation where Labour under his leadership will campaign for Britain to leave EU http://bbc.in/1QGkHdl

I'll wait until I see what the man has said himself first, but disappointing if true... There is a motion for it at Labour conference though so at the very least it will be debated.

Evidence? No. Sturgeon enjoys a lovely working relationship with the queen, a member of the privy council and is always very complimentary on the Monarchy's "public service" but above all is a populist and sadly a majority of Scots favour keeping the monarchy.

... FFS :lol:

There's actually quite a few republican politicians from the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Jamaica on the Privy Council.

Jeremy Corbyn - it is simply not good enough and disrespectful to "her majesty" not to sing God Save The Queen.

The drones don't like it. They have been programmed and conditioned all their lives to worship the Queen. The BBC and the drones will constantly remind you did a very bad thing so best comply. Never forget that before you could sit as an MP you had to swear allegiance to her majesty. Our so-called democracy is designed to exclude those such as you with your republican views.

There is indeed...

Natalie McGarry: "I'm a republican"

Tommy Sheppard "I'm a republican"

Neither are in the privy council

Believe it is only Alex Salmond, Angus Robertson and Nicola Sturgeon from the SNP that are in it

Neither are in the privy council

Believe it is only Alex Salmond, Angus Robertson and Nicola Sturgeon from the SNP that are in it

The SNP's George Reid and Tricia Marwick are also on it but purely because they have both held the office of speaker in the Scottish Parliament.

SNP Westminster leader Donald Stewart was a Privy Councillor from 1977 until his death in 1992. It's also worth mentioning that Stewart was offered and turned down a peerage upon his retirement from the Commons in 1987. :ok:

Dafydd Wigley (longtime friend and mentor of Alex Salmond) and Dafydd Elis-Thomas from Plaid Cymru are also on it.