Most Overrated/underrated Scottish Band. - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most Overrated/underrated Scottish Band.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Travis right up until Fran Healy started going all Bono-Bob Geldof'ish..... loved their first album.... "The Man Who" is one of my top albums.... "Invisible Band" I feel has not aged well (but still has a good couple of tunes on it) and "12 Memories" is very under-rated..... since then the only thing of note I feel they have done is Selfish Jean, as I just do not have the same warmth to them as much now......

Fran did some stuff like thst before he was really publicised for it but i agree to and extent.

I love The Man Who still a great album. Thete first four albums are there best for sure. Newer stuff isnt the same and took me a good few listens to get into the albums, but thats music for you. Still go and see them as they always put on a great live show. Also got to meet them once through a family friend after a show and they were all really down to earth nice guys.

Still go and see them as they always put on a great live show. Also got to meet them once through a family friend after a show and they were all really down to earth nice guys.

Mate of mine who died last year was good mates with Neil Primrose from school and used to get backstage at all their Scottish gigs (we got backstage at Frans solo show at Oran Mor number of years back) and agree he was really down to earth nice guy.

Mate of mine who died last year was good mates with Neil Primrose from school and used to get backstage at all their Scottish gigs (we got backstage at Frans solo show at Oran Mor number of years back) and agree he was really down to earth nice guy.

He would have known the guy that got us backstage then as he was friends with Neil from school too. Was an ABC show we met them after. Oran Morr was a good gig too.

He would have known the guy that got us backstage then as he was friends with Neil from school too. Was an ABC show we met them after. Oran Morr was a good gig too.

Most likely Derek.

Yeah, Oran Morr was good with Fran in full Billy Connolly mode (ie 15 minute stories and introductions between songs), though noticed he has gone a tad Paul McCartney'ish with his stories and interviews ie. where PM has the standard interview story of writing Yesterday or playing Hey Jude to Lennon for the first time which he has told countless times, Fran seems to now tell the same stories over and over again about how he messed up the tape recorder when writing the demo for Driftwood, or playing WDIAROM at TiTP and the clouds parted to let the sun shine for the first time all weekend etc.... basically heard it once, you have heard it a million times!

Overrated post 1983 Simple Minds

Simple Minds' enduring popularity used to baffle me too. My earliest memories of them were of a fairly conventional mid-80s stadium rock act fronted by a prancing wannabe fitba' club owner.

Then a few years ago I chanced upon some of their earlier work on YouTube and I finally got it. Some of the stuff on their third, fourth and fifth albums is spectacular.

Spot on.

Life in a day was an excellent album and some tracks are almost unrecognisable as Simple Minds. Chelsea Girl was probably the most well known track from it and was closer to Roxy Music than latter day Simple Minds.

Reel to Reel Cacophony I never really got along with for some reason, but they came storming back with Empires and Dance. Brilliant album. I Travel one of my favourite songs of theirs.

Then came the best for me. Sons and Fascination (with your free copy of Sister Feelings Call). Effectively a double album and both brilliant. Not a duff track on either if you ask me.

New Gold Dream I still enjoyed, but I could sense it was going to be my crossover album.

Then sure enough, Sparkle in the Rain came out, I bought it and as suspected it was sh1te.

Never bought anything after that. In fact they started to really annoy me. As someone else mentioned they just became like one of those annoying 80s stadium bands producing hideous crap like Don't You Forget About Me and Alive & Kicking.

Edited by Marky

Most likely Derek.

Yeah, Oran Morr was good with Fran in full Billy Connolly mode (ie 15 minute stories and introductions between songs), though noticed he has gone a tad Paul McCartney'ish with his stories and interviews ie. where PM has the standard interview story of writing Yesterday or playing Hey Jude to Lennon for the first time which he has told countless times, Fran seems to now tell the same stories over and over again about how he messed up the tape recorder when writing the demo for Driftwood, or playing WDIAROM at TiTP and the clouds parted to let the sun shine for the first time all weekend etc.... basically heard it once, you have heard it a million times!

Aye him and Andy released an acoustic album with the stories of the songs and it was after that he started telling them all the time. Think that's what the Oran Mor gig was for actually. Roddy Hart supported.

Big Neil used to work in the Horseshoe Bar.

Aye was that not where they first started playing/practising upstairs in am empty room I believe?

Aye him and Andy released an acoustic album with the stories of the songs and it was after that he started telling them all the time. Think that's what the Oran Mor gig was for actually. Roddy Hart supported.

Aye was that not where they first started playing/practising upstairs in am empty room I believe?

Aye, Dave Smith (former manager) let them use upstairs to rehearse. One of their awards is behind the bar, which they gave as a thank you for use of the room.

Decent enough lads.

I was going to say Bay City Rollers for both categories.

Watched the documentary about the BCRs last night. I was too young at the time and all I remember was that they were pretty ubiquitous but I didn't realise how big they were globally. Those boys were severely ripped off!

Their influence on the Ramones was a surprise too :blink:

Edited by Toepoke

Watched the documentary about the BCRs last night. I was too young at the time and all I remember was that they were pretty ubiquitous but I didn't realise how big they were globally. Those boys were severely ripped off!

Their influence on the Ramones was a surprise too :blink:

Watched that too.

I was the same, had no idea how huge they were. Talk about being fleeced?! Phuqqing hell, one of them is / was a nurse :blink:

Watched the documentary last night. Their hits were catchy enough but some of the less well known stuff was absolutely fecking honking.

I liked Woody's story about kicking Les McKeown into the audience at a gig in Japan - bet Noel Gallagher wishes he'd done the same with Liam...