The View From Ireland - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The View From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of this game will depend on the Irish score.

If it's tied at Hampden with 20 minutes to go and say Ireland are losing 2-0 or so, I can't see us going all out for the win by pushing men forward. A loss would put us out, whilst a draw not great, would keep us techinally in it with an eye on Warsaw for the final game.

Edited by weekevie04

As usual lots of negativity. This Poland team are not even close to the quality of the Croatia team we beat easily 2 years ago. We will take them.

This sentence got no sense at all.

If we are such worse team than Croatia you beat, then why didn`t you even more easily beat us? And why we are second in the group with 17 points and your team 4th with 11? Doesn`t make sense at all.

You can beat us, we can beat you or it may be a draw. No rocket science.

If we are such worse team than Croatia you beat, then why didn`t you even more easily beat us? And why we are second in the group with 17 points and your team 4th with 11? Doesn`t make sense at all.

Fair comment.

We were far more in the 2-2 game with you than we were in our 1-0 away victory over Croatia.

That said, I greatly admire the Polish attacking threat, albeit only effective thus far against Georgia and Gibraltar (you're 6 for 6 against the rest of us).

Edited by norsefox

Croatia were a far more complete team than Poland are now. Poland got lucky at home to Germany and that is about their only decent result. Germany could have scored 6 or 7 that night.

See how you get on away from home. I'm very confident we will win.

That sentence still got no sense pal.

And if you think you can beat world champs in competitive game 2:0 with just luck...well then you will need tones of it on 8th of October.

But you did beat them with a lot of luck and it was a one off. You couldn't beat us with home advantage and didn't look that great in Dublin. You are still below us in the world rankings and that suggests your results in other games hasn't been great.

Home advantage will play a big part and I'm confident we will win. Then pressure is on you against Ireland.

Edited by Jagtag

But you did beat them with a lot of luck and it was a one off. You couldn't beat us with home advantage and didn't look that great in Dublin. You are still below us in the world rankings and that suggests your results in other games hasn't been great.

Home advantage will play a big part and I'm confident we will win. Then pressure is on you against Ireland.

But they're still quite a few points ahead of with 2 games to go.

We've got nothing to boast about nor are we able to criticise the Polish results .

But they're still quite a few points ahead of with 2 games to go.

We've got nothing to boast about nor are we able to criticise the Polish results .

But in reality even with our bad result in Georgia poland are only 6 points ahead and have played Gibraltar twice and we still have to play Gibraltar. They also have to come to Hampden.

All I am saying is given the choice this Poland team at home or the Croatia team we beat 2 years ago to get a play off spot I'd rather play this Poland team.

Game vs Germany, and i wrote it here just after it, was our best tactically played game i`ve seen for years and our defensive engagement was immense. Germany created only half chances and we were lethal on the break. Coach Nawałka got it all right for that game plus strikers in form. You need a bit of luck in a lot of games but wen you`re winning 2:0 it`s hardly ever luck, whether you like it or not.

Second half in Dublin, on the other half, was our worst performance in this campaign, and we still managed to bring 1 point home from tough ground.

Home advantage is nice but it`s not a decider. We won a lot of games away in previous campaigns (when we qualified) so I`m not worried. We will have a healthy support in Glasgow as well :)

Edited by fanatyk

But in reality even with our bad result in Georgia poland are only 6 points ahead and have played Gibraltar twice and we still have to play Gibraltar. They also have to come to Hampden.

All I am saying is given the choice this Poland team at home or the Croatia team we beat 2 years ago to get a play off spot I'd rather play this Poland team.

I know and I touched upon bits of that in the last few days in other threads.

But I don't think we're in a position to maybe come across as too confident against a team that has the points on the board (including beating Germany).

Croatia were a far more complete team than Poland are now. Poland got lucky at home to Germany and that is about their only decent result. Germany could have scored 6 or 7 that night.

See how you get on away from home. I'm very confident we will win.

I agree that Croatia are a much better team than Poland and you are right that our 2 wins home and away to Croatia should give us confidence that we can beat Poland at Hampden. But what concerns me a wee bit is that those two games were effectively friendlies from our point of view. Our players weren't under the same kind of pressure that they will be in what is an absolute must win game for us.

In the past our players relished situations like this, and more often than not, rose to the occasion and did what was required. What worries me, a wee bit, is that now we might not have enough players who are inspired by pressure like that. Time will tell. I think we are good enough to beat Poland but it will be close. We will need to be at our best and hope that enough of our players can put a performance that is a wee bit more special than they have been doing recently.

I think Poland are technically better than us and they have at least 2 real top class players but we can beat them. One thing which I think is in our favour is that this isn't a must win game for Poland and they will have another chance to qualify at home to Ireland. I think they will come here looking for a point trying to hit us on the break. They will be confident that they can beat Ireland in Warsaw.

For sure Scotland playing open game will be advantage for us...and you will have to do that. Hopefully our lads took a lesson in Dublin second half and won`t let to be that dominated and toothless again.

If Scotland play an open game it won't be by design. Scotland never try to play an open game. It will only happen if you force us into it. It may sometimes look like we are playing an open game but that is only because the opposition are ripping us apart. :lol:

C`mon you will have to go for a win even if its not your usual style ;)

I think the last time we played open football against non minnows was against England at Wembley in 1999 and we were terrific

Oh how we thought that Craig Brown would see the light from that game and we would continue to play to that style - a style that was suited to Scotland teams of the long past

Not so

The game against Poland is more certain than not to be a tight affair - all out attack and everyone up the park would only be a last ditch option if the game is approaching 90 minutes and we are not winning

** Scotland all out attack is something far different to general all out attacking football terms as Orraloon refers to

Edited by Ally Bongo