Snp Conference - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An interesting article from Robin McKelvie.

I don't think anyone is demanding a second referendum, but to not even discuss Indyref or a future one is a very strange decision.

Especially considering the bulk of the SNP membership is on the back of the result on the 19th of September. Wonder how many will renew their membership in Sept/Oct?

Suppose we'll see in the next few weeks. I'd like to think there will be a home rule referendum in the manifesto for 2016, or ''the SNP may call a referendum if X,Y,Z'' option.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/2100/robin-mcalpine-there-s-a-lot-to-worry-about-in-the-snp-s-party-conference-agenda-here-s-why

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting article from Robin McKelvie.

I don't think anyone is demanding a second referendum, but to not even discuss Indyref or a future one is a very strange decision.

Especially considering the bulk of the SNP membership is on the back of the result on the 19th of September. Wonder how many will renew their membership in Sept/Oct?

Suppose we'll see in the next few weeks. I'd like to think there will be a home rule referendum in the manifesto for 2016, or ''the SNP may call a referendum if X,Y,Z'' option.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/2100/robin-mcalpine-there-s-a-lot-to-worry-about-in-the-snp-s-party-conference-agenda-here-s-why

5 to 10 years before YES 2, me thinks. Would like the euro to recover, surely that would have been plan B if it wasn't so weak.

The Euro... Stop!

At times you think some folk have not noticed what's going on in the world .....

Edited by Ally Bongo

I don't know anything about him baring a few articles I've read. Any reason for him being lined up with Sheridan? (and Scotland) ;)?

*Scotlad - Handsome Thistle fan, verifies my claim that Patricia Gibson is an utter moron.

I feel A Thousand Flowers have a better way with words than I do:

http://athousandflowers.net/2015/04/30/weekly--050-robin-mcalpine/

No point thinking about another referendum until what caused us to lose the first one can be overcome

I dont know how often that has to be said

Lose a second referendum and you might as well switch off the lights and lock up

How hard is it for some folk, especially those as intelligent as McAlpine, to grasp that

No point thinking about another referendum until what caused us to lose the first one can be overcome

I dont know how often that has to be said

Lose a second referendum and you might as well switch off the lights and lock up

How hard is it for some folk, especially those as intelligent as McAlpine, to grasp that

These guys (and a lot of the new SNP members) are hard-left professional political losers though (even our own Scunny admits to this in his signature).

They have spent their entire political lives being defeated. What's another indyref loss to them? "We just go again, no?"

These guys (and a lot of the new SNP members) are hard-left professional political losers though (even our own Scunny admits to this in his signature).

They have spent their entire political lives being defeated. What's another indyref loss to them? "We just go again, no?"

Aye

McAlpine was in the limelight during the referendum and not so much now

Maybe it's a bit harsh to suggest he is keen on another one to get back in there

Always look to see who benefits the most and therein lies the truth etc

After all he must know that not enough has changed to win so soon after losing

I agree that a second referendum shouldn't be rushed too early but the SNP should still be talking about independence. They need to keep the discussion going and keep it on peoples minds. Continue to argue the merits of independence and put evidence across. If it just insn't spoken about for x amount of years you reverse all the ground made in the referendum. Remember independence often polled in the late 20's early 30% for years, we need to keep trying to persuade people and when the time is right move for another vote.

I thought that Yes Scotland should have continued as an organisation, obviously scalled down. They could have become an information source or pressure group and continued to release information and arguments in favour of independence. I would have continued my direct debit if they had done so.

I dont mind McAlpine to be honest. Very harsh to put him in same bracket as Sheridan. I kinda agree with keeping another referendum away from conference - it would be mental to have a referendum again so soon and little good can come of debating it ad-nauseum. I'd be much more interested in debating how we'll address the issues raised by the last one first - mainly: what the f*** are we going to do about currency? Less talk of referenda, more talk about what we'll propose when it eventually comes around. When we've answered those questions, then we can debate when to hold another referendum.

I dont mind McAlpine to be honest. Very harsh to put him in same bracket as Sheridan. I kinda agree with keeping another referendum away from conference - it would be mental to have a referendum again so soon and little good can come of debating it ad-nauseum. I'd be much more interested in debating how we'll address the issues raised by the last one first - mainly: what the f*** are we going to do about currency? Less talk of referenda, more talk about what we'll propose when it eventually comes around. When we've answered those questions, then we can debate when to hold another referendum.

Spot on.

Has the SNP or any other group ever done a proper survey among no voters as to why they voted no? Some people on here say currency , some say pensioners being threatened with loss of pension - some like me are very suspicious of postal voting . I would have thought that a substantial investment in determining why people voted no would be beneficial before another referendum.

Agree with everything after the first 2 sentences. :ok:

On the one hand the SNP are in quite a good time to hold another referendum: they have just sent 56 MPs to Westminster, they are expected to win an increased majority at Holyrood next year, SLab are in disarry at the moment and in no position to effectively spearhead another No campaign and arguably the most right-wing Tory government is in power at WM and are already starting to wreak havoc.

On the other hand, support for independence has barely changed since the referendum (although a base of c.45% is a far better starting block than a base of 30% in favour), the issues that prevented a lot of people, I think, from voting Yes have not been properly addressed and the overall economic picture probably isn't quite as bright as it was this time last year.

Personally, I would leave it on the backburner for the time being, ideally until most polls show support for independence at around the 55% mark. The SNP, if they are re-elected, have a window of opportunity to firm up and improve on the arguments they made during the indyref, particularly on how the country might actually run. And if a 'material change' occurs during their term in office they could try this: resign as a government, thus prompting another general election, and run on the basis that they will hold another independence referendum if they are re-elected.

the bulk of the No voters I talked to were voting no because they hated Salmond and that he wanted to be President ... Nicola Sturgeon does not suffer the same negativity and for me the best time for another Indy Ref is within the next couples of years Labour are about to really implode and the No campaign has no real candidate to lead them , Brown, Murphy and Darling are all damaged goods ... so who have they got Dugdale, Davidson, Mundell, Cameron, Osborne and Johnson .... half of the people in my work that voted No said they would vote Yes next time round

the bulk of the No voters I talked to were voting no because they hated Salmond and that he wanted to be President ... Nicola Sturgeon does not suffer the same negativity and for me the best time for another Indy Ref is within the next couples of years Labour are about to really implode and the No campaign has no real candidate to lead them , Brown, Murphy and Darling are all damaged goods ... so who have they got Dugdale, Davidson, Mundell, Cameron, Osborne and Johnson .... half of the people in my work that voted No said they would vote Yes next time round

I can hold my head up high... I voted Yes despite hating Salmond.

My signature is in response to some m0ron saying "At least I don't vote for losers" when I said I voted Labour in May.