Tamb Running Thread - Page 20 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does anyone know what sort of variety of times is normal for a 10k run. What i mean is, if i run 10 times 10k, what sort of difference should i expect between my fastest and slowest times? I run reasonbly regularly and pb is 44:50, i assume that will be helpful to know, since the more you run, the more consistent your times should be (in my head).

For some reason i cant word that question properly so i hope you get it!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally do an interval session on a treadmill, but I prefer not to really as I much prefer running outdoors.

30 mins a week on a treadmill will do wonders for your times.

But will destroy any sanity you have left.

Drama queen alert...

I don't really care to be honest. I'm just trying to help. I now run 6:30/mile on my runs, after being at around 8:15/mile when I first started running.

I'm just sharing what helped me get to a decent speed.

Edited by Parklife

Drama queen alert...

I don't really care to be honest. I'm just trying to help. I now run 6:30/mile on my runs, after being at around 8:15/mile when I first started running.

I'm just sharing what helped me get to a decent speed.

Fair enough. I just get really bored on the treadmill. I do however do interval sprints on them myself at the end of a weights session to increase fat burning and it does help with my running.

Interval training, whether on a treadmill or outside, certainly works when it comes to improving times.

Without question. I done it for about month and not long after posted PBs at 5k, 10k and half marathon all within a few weeks of each other.

Haven't done interval training for a while now and my times have fell off a cliff.

I'll get it going again but will wait for warmer weather and longer nights

Ran my first 10k last week (in 1 hour 5 mins). The 4th kilometer was a bit of a struggle, but once i got over that and got into the 5th i knew i was going to make the 10.

Also did my best 5k time tonight - 30 mins 29 secs. Not far off a sub-30min time now!

Ran my first 10k last week (in 1 hour 5 mins). The 4th kilometer was a bit of a struggle, but once i got over that and got into the 5th i knew i was going to make the 10.

Also did my best 5k time tonight - 30 mins 29 secs. Not far off a sub-30min time now!

Well done Dave78 - it's a great feeling. If you stick at it you should end up taking a fair chunk off those times too - once you're used to the distance your speed should increase. I did my first 10k at the end of May in 59 minutes and got down to 51.5 mins in 6 months. Takes a lot of effort but it's really satisfying when you can see that you're getting better at it.

Do you always run at a steady pace?

If you want to get that pace down I'd strongly advise you to do intervals on the treadmill.

Obviously start off at an easier level to get used to it but my last treadmill interval sessions was:

2 mins warm up - 8% incline & 8kmph;

Alternating between

1 min - 12% incline & 12kmph

1 min - 8% incline & 8kmph

For 20 minutes

3 min cool down.

25minutes total.

For reasons yet to become apparent, I decided to follow your guide and i'd like to say a massive you!

The 12km/h @ 12% is brutal.

For reasons yet to become apparent, I decided to follow your guide and i'd like to say a massive badger you!

The 12km/h @ 12% is flipping brutal.

:lol:

That's the point!! It's hard going. If you managed a full 10 fast intervals then you've done well.

Well done Dave78 - it's a great feeling. If you stick at it you should end up taking a fair chunk off those times too - once you're used to the distance your speed should increase. I did my first 10k at the end of May in 59 minutes and got down to 51.5 mins in 6 months. Takes a lot of effort but it's really satisfying when you can see that you're getting better at it.

Cheers! Planning another 10k either tomorrow or Friday.

I think doing that 10k really helped with the 5k i did after it. Took a good minute off my best time.

Cheers! Planning another 10k either tomorrow or Friday.

I think doing that 10k really helped with the 5k i did after it. Took a good minute off my best time.

Good stuff - I did my first 10K on a Saturday and the next one the day after but usually tend to stick to one a week. You'll definitely find that the 5ks become a bit of a breeze the more 10ks you do and of course your times should come down for both.

Loving my new Garmin 220 what a huge improvement on the 110 I had before :-))

Got the 220 at the end of last year and think its brilliant.

Just been doing intervals on the treadmill. Cant wait for this snow and ice to go away so i can get back out!

Signed up for Edinburgh, Fort William and Loch Ness marathons this year.

Since upgrading to a forerunner 220, I've yet to have any issues connecting it to my PC or with finding a GPS signal.

Just got this instead of the 110 which was shyte for a few reasons (slow signal, dodgy connector, lack of functions, doesn't work properly with Strava...) and it is much better.

I have just joined Strava and am having all sorts of bother with it displaying inaccurate times and splits. It bears no ressemblence to the times on Garmin Connect!

Is it a Garmin Forerunner 110/210 you have? If so it insists on showing some kind of made up 'moving time' rather than the actual time. For a parkrun this normally takes about 90s off for me. Makes me look good but annoying. Strava advice was to pause and unpause once during run. You can also kind of fix it by designating as a race rather than a run although it still shows up wrong on either the phone app or website - can't remember which.

Is it a Garmin Forerunner 110/210 you have? If so it insists on showing some kind of made up 'moving time' rather than the actual time. For a parkrun this normally takes about 90s off for me. Makes me look good but annoying. Strava advice was to pause and unpause once during run. You can also kind of fix it by designating as a race rather than a run although it still shows up wrong on either the phone app or website - can't remember which.

I got the same advice. Why the heck didn't they tell me it was my particular Garmin model???? I asked why no one else I knew had this issue and they didn't bother to answer.

Edited by Lamia

Treadmills are the work of the devil!

Do you always run at a steady pace?

If you want to get that pace down I'd strongly advise you to do intervals on the treadmill.

Obviously start off at an easier level to get used to it but my last treadmill interval sessions was:

2 mins warm up - 8% incline & 8kmph;

Alternating between

1 min - 12% incline & 12kmph

1 min - 8% incline & 8kmph

For 20 minutes

3 min cool down.

25minutes total.

Don't really see how this is going to help get a time in the low 20's for a parkrun. Obviously there is an incline but the best pace you will hit will be 5min/km.