Tamb Running Thread - Page 38 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

That wind for the last 8 miles or so was tough going!

First marathon complete though in a time of 4hours 7mins, with which I'm pretty happy with.

Would def do another marathon and hopefully get sub 4 hours

Congratulations on a great first marathon time. As I said to Cove, the second is much easier. Assuming nothing goes wrong you will definitely go sub-4 next time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

run zurich marathon 2013 in kilt 4hours 17min

run amsterdam 2014 in kilt 4hours 13min

run london 2015 4hours 16min

run edinburgh on sunday in shorts 3hours 52 min so much easier

just sighned up for budapast marathon in october will be running in shorts

Edited by Kennit

How are the others who ran on Sunday bearing up? I've had no pain and just mild stiffness.

Managed a circuits class this morning and will get a run in tonight.

My legs are fine now although I seem to have picked up a wee knee injury. I went for a run yesterday but had to quit just after a mile. Hopefully will clear up after a bit of rest.

Loch Ness is now very much on my mind!

My legs are fine now although I seem to have picked up a wee knee injury. I went for a run yesterday but had to quit just after a mile. Hopefully will clear up after a bit of rest.

Loch Ness is now very much on my mind!

You shouldn't be running three days after a marathon. At least a week off after your first. Cross train if you want to exercise. And give it at leasst two or three weeks before you run any sort of hard effort. Trail running is a nice way to break yourself back into it.

If you run too soon after a marathon you are asking for an injury.

You shouldn't be running three days after a marathon. At least a week off after your first. Cross train if you want to exercise. And give it at leasst two or three weeks before you run any sort of hard effort. Trail running is a nice way to break yourself back into it.

If you run too soon after a marathon you are asking for an injury.

But I've heard people talking about "recovery runs", suggesting that a short slow paced run a day or two after actually does some good.

As it is, given my knee injury I can't do any runs for about a week anyway (I had hoped to do the Corstorphine 5 mile race last night but there was no point in it)

But I've heard people talking about "recovery runs", suggesting that a short slow paced run a day or two after actually does some good.

As it is, given my knee injury I can't do any runs for about a week anyway (I had hoped to do the Corstorphine 5 mile race last night but there was no point in it)

No, recovery runs do not make you recover faster than doing nothing. If you want to aid recovery do half an hour of stretching or go for a sports massage.

A recovery run is a very easy run to allow you to add volume to your week without stressing your body too much more. There is absolutely no need for you to be doing that in the first few days / week after your goal marathon.

Which part of your knee is painful?

Did a couple of 10k runs on holiday in N. Cyprus, an easier one out towards the coast and back and a much tougher one out towards the Kyrenia mountain range and back. Both were very rewarding and the heat conditions along with the undulating hills should make the 'home' races seem easier.

No, recovery runs do not make you recover faster than doing nothing. If you want to aid recovery do half an hour of stretching or go for a sports massage.

A recovery run is a very easy run to allow you to add volume to your week without stressing your body too much more. There is absolutely no need for you to be doing that in the first few days / week after your goal marathon.

The left side of my right knee cap. Only hurts when I run. Trying hard to resist going for a run just now!

The left side of my right knee cap. Only hurts when I run. Trying hard to resist going for a run just now!

Probably just a bit of tendonitis. When the muscles in your leg get tight they pull on the tendons, which are also connected to your joints. And that is probably why you are feeling pain at your knee.

Instead of going for a run spend 30 minutes stretching. Do your glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves, hip flexors, etc. be sure to hold each stretch for 30 seconds or more.

Decent descriptions here...

http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/stretching-exercise/leg-stretch.asp

Edited by Denny's Yard

Disagree with your view on what a recovery run does. It is better than doing nothing as it gets the blood flowing faster and aids recovery from a hard run. I do however have no idea how soon after a marathon you should do one.

Giving the off road running a bit of a bash. Different sort of experience but fun.

when i ran as a youth it was cross country, I've knocked off about 3 1/2 stone now, so starting the couch to 5k, i had tried before but was worried about my joints as i fecked my knee at Mauy Thai years ago, but now i'm much lighter not so bad.

Youse will get me running a 10k next year for the first time as well. Then i need to do a park run with Cove as he lit the spark under me.

Disagree with your view on what a recovery run does. It is better than doing nothing as it gets the blood flowing faster and aids recovery from a hard run. I do however have no idea how soon after a marathon you should do one.

Well, that is what people have traditionally said but, from what I have read recently, it is a myth. Link below to an article by Matt Fitzgerald that is worth a read although he doesn't given any sources so I suppose it is just his opinion. The trouble with running is that there are loads of opinions flying around but hardly any decent evidence based science.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/workout-of-the-week-recovery-run_11839

Well, that is what people have traditionally said but, from what I have read recently, it is a myth. Link below to an article by Matt Fitzgerald that is worth a read although he doesn't given any sources so I suppose it is just his opinion. The trouble with running is that there are loads of opinions flying around but hardly any decent evidence based science.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/workout-of-the-week-recovery-run_11839

Well all I know is that when you have certain injuries getting the blood flowing by putting heat on it is used so it seems logical to me that increasing blood flow would be of benefit.

I also know from my own experience that doing a short slow run will mean any stiffness goes quicker than if I do nothing

Edited by Lamia

Tough 10k in the heat tonight, really thought I was going to pass out in the heat at one point.

Still, a new PB though!

Heat is one of the worst things. Sun was bearing down for most of the Prague marathon this year, I was so ill after I'd crossed the finish line. New PB though, seems as though post-Edinburgh recovery is going well.

Anyone planning a wee parkrun in Dublin on Saturday? I am doing the one at St Anne's Park in Raheny as my mate I am staying with is the run director. I'm even meant to be scanning barcodes after running.

We are doing Waterstown as it is easiest to get to from our hotel.

anybody doing the glasgow men's 10k next sunday?

Right through the centre of glasgow, from riverside museum, cross the water a couple of times, up buchanan st, george sq and finish at glasgow green (via the gorbals).

should be pretty flat and quick

anybody doing the glasgow men's 10k next sunday?

Right through the centre of glasgow, from riverside museum, cross the water a couple of times, up buchanan st, george sq and finish at glasgow green (via the gorbals).

should be pretty flat and quick

Yes. Looking forward to the new route for this. A weekend in Dublin albeit a week beforehand isn't ideal but I'm still confident I'll beat my recent PB in the clydebank 10k of 39.22.

I'm over in Dublin next year and was looking for something along these lines; would be interested to see what Cove Sheep and Deeklipse make of their respective events :ok:

Edited by neilser