British Open - Page 8 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

British Open

Orraloon

I'm assuming Willet and Dunne will fall away, but part of that is about the normal pressure of a final day at the open. It won't be a normal day - crowds will be smaller, it might all feel a bit odd so it could be different.

Edited by biffer

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you need to do to be above average out of interest?

Consistently playing well and winning

Over 90% of professional golfers never win a tour event. You do know what the word "average" means don't you?

See above

Paul Lawrie does not consistently play well and rarely wins tournaments - Thats an average golfer in the world of professional golfers

However i'm clearly wrong and i concede - Paul Lawrie is fooking amazing. Best golfer i have ever seen.

Edited by Ally Bongo

Not many players consistently win tournaments on any of the tours.

But there are many who are often at the top of the leaderboard and in with a chance - they are above average

Consistently playing well and winning

See above

Paul Lawrie does not consistently play well and rarely wins tournaments - Thats an average golfer in the world of professional golfers

However i'm clearly wrong and i concede - Paul Lawrie is fooking amazing. Best golfer i have ever seen.

I'm guessing you are not a golfer? The vast majority of professional golfers never even qualify to play in a tour event never mind win one.

The vast majority of golfers who earn the right to play in a tour event never win a tournament. More than half of them will never get into the top ten in any event.

I'm guessing you are not a golfer? The vast majority of professional golfers never even qualify to play in a tour event never mind win one.

The vast majority of golfers who earn the right to play in a tour event never win a tournament. More than half of them will never get into the top ten in any event.

I know how difficult it is but i am not comparing Lawrie to any old chump

Compared to me and a great majority of golfers, Lawrie is in a totally different league - he is better than a good golfer. He wouldnt have a tour card if he wasnt. I accept that

However i am talking about World professional Golf

Lets have categories of golfer where everyone mentioned is at their peak

World Class - Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Watson, Ballesteros,Norman, Faldo, Price, Duval, Langer, Els, Harrington, Woods and provided they continue their progress McIlroy and Spieth.

There are probably names i have missed but at some point in their career these players have over a lengthy period been ranked Number 1, held their form over a period of years and backed it up with major championships

Top Class (again there will be a right few i will miss but to give an idea)- Lyle, Kite, Furyk, Trevino, Floyd, Lehman, Woosnam, Couples, Crenshaw, Olazabal, Singh,O'Meara, Garcia, Montgomerie, Rose

If you agree with that line of thinking then Lawrie doesnt fit into any of those categories

Im not even sure he would get into the next category down with likes of Clarke, Westwood, Azinger and dozens more

We can surely all agree that Lawrie is a miserable torn faced twat?

yes - blaming others for playing pish - a typical scottish trait !

Anyway ....

Back to The Open

Ive just checked the weather and it's forecast to get decidedly worse from around 1pm tomorrow

Rain is forecast at that time and the wind is due to get up from what's forecast earlier

Winds between 8-12mph and dry up to 1pm

Rain from 1pm and winds to get up to 16-17mph - Heavy rain around 3pm

With so many players in contention those quite far back at -4 like Mickelson might not be out of it yet if they can shoot a 65/66 and get in before the weather deteriorates

Could definitely be the most exciting and open "open" finish ever

You can get 7/4 that there will be a play off (2/5 there wont)

With all thats gone on i think its almost certain that there will be especially with the way the scores are ...(famous last words)

Compared to me and a great majority of golfers, Lawrie is in a totally different league - he is better than a good golfer. He wouldnt have a tour card if he wasnt. I accept that

World Class - Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Watson, Ballesteros,Norman, Faldo, Price, Duval, Langer, Els, Harrington, Woods and provided they continue their progress McIlroy and Spieth.

There are probably names i have missed but at some point in their career these players have over a lengthy period been ranked Number 1, held their form over a period of years and backed it up with major championships

Top Class (again there will be a right few i will miss but to give an idea)- Lyle, Kite, Furyk, Trevino, Floyd, Lehman, Woosnam, Couples, Crenshaw, Olazabal, Singh,O'Meara, Garcia, Montgomerie, Rose

If you agree with that line of thinking then Lawrie doesnt fit into any of those categories

Im not even sure he would get into the next category down with likes of Clarke, Westwood, Azinger and dozens more

So you are just comparing him to golfers that you have heard of?

Do you know that the PGA of America currently has about 30,000 professional golfers as members?

Any golfer who even qualifies to play in a major or even a tour event is much much better than average.

So you are just comparing him to golfers that you have heard of?

Do you know that the PGA of America currently has about 30,000 professional golfers as members?

Any golfer who even qualifies to play in a major or even a tour event is much much better than average.

:lol: Oh ffs take aff the saltire specs ... you know the point i am making

Edited by Ally Bongo

Also thought Oosthuizen was and will be a terrific partner for Dunne

You could see he was encouraging him today - im almost sure he would have celebrated when one of Dunne's long puts nearly dropped

Nobody cares about how long someone is world number one, its a sideshow. What matters is if you've won the big tournaments, and you're listing players who e won one as world class and players who haven't won any as Top class. Completely arbitrary.

Anyway ....

Back to The Open

Ive just checked the weather and it's forecast to get decidedly worse from around 1pm tomorrow

Rain is forecast at that time and the wind is due to get up from what's forecast earlier

Winds between 8-12mph and dry up to 1pm

Rain from 1pm and winds to get up to 16-17mph - Heavy rain around 3pm

With so many players in contention those quite far back at -4 like Mickelson might not be out of it yet if they can shoot a 65/66 and get in before the weather deteriorates

Could definitely be the most exciting and open "open" finish ever

Interesting. Forecast for tomorrow looks poor indeed.

Can't remember too many Open finishes in shitey weather. Faldo's first win at Muirfield in 87 sticks in the memory, any others?...

Nobody cares about how long someone is world number one, its a sideshow. What matters is if you've won the big tournaments, and you're listing players who e won one as world class and players who haven't won any as Top class. Completely arbitrary.

Where is Lawrie compared to any of those players in your opinion ?

Absolutely nowhere near any of them is he ?

And as for the World Class player (when at his peak) that has won only 1 major (Duval) his record in 98-99 leading up to the 2001 Open victory (along with his top 10 finishes in the US Masters and US PGA) has him as Number 8 in all time Golf Greats

Edited by Ally Bongo

Where is Lawrie compared to any of those players in your opinion ?

Absolutely nowhere near any of them is he ?

And as for the World Class player (when at his peak) that has won only 1 major (Duval) his record in 98-99 leading up to the 2001 Open victory (along with his top 10 finishes in the US Masters and US PGA) has him as Number 8 in all time Golf Greats

What the hell is Golf Greats? Pretty easy to name twenty players better than Duval. And I didn't say Lawrie would be on a world class or top class list, just that yours is completely arbitrary.

What the hell is Golf Greats?

A list compiled by folk who know more about golf than me or you and base things on more than say ....opinions

Enjoy yer day - hope Lawrie doesnt have another stinker to back me up (again) !