Been To Tbilisi Before? What Can You Tell Us? - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Been To Tbilisi Before? What Can You Tell Us?

vienna2008

As the title says.

There will be quite a few members who were over in 2007 and loads (like me) heading over to Georgia for the first time.

What can you tell us about Tbilisi?

1) Cost of beer? Taxis?

2) quality of pubs?

3) friendliness of locals?

4) best places to hang out?

5) anything else

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title says.

There will be quite a few members who were over in 2007 and loads (like me) heading over to Georgia for the first time.

1) Cost of beer? Taxis?

2) quality of pubs?

5) anything else

6) how dodgy are the local polis? Edited by DoonTheSlope

As the title says.

1) Cost of beer? Taxis?

2) quality of pubs?

5) anything else

Hey, we were in Tiblisi in 2007 so can give you what our trip was like.

1- taxis and beers were cheap as chips

2 - the pubs were standard foreign pubs

3 - locals in general were nice. There was an atmosphere in Georgia at that time as there were rallies and protests planned but generally friendly enough. That was until the day of the game. There was supposed to be a festival thing planned by the river before the game. All ended up cancelled and we were all bused from the city centre to the ground and back. Armed police gaurds and hardcore fans were hostile towards us. Little ropey but survived! ?

4- there was one street that was full of bars (sorry cant remember the name). We stayed there and it was good atmosphere.

5- few tips - Do not drink out their frosted glasses and ask for no ice! Our whole group ended up with with horrendous gut rot that went on for months(not kidding). We didnt drink the water or brush our teeth with it but didnt think about the frosted glass!!

Food is not great at all but whose there for eating I guess!

'Hotels' are literally someones houses. We stayed with a family who sat and watched us a lot and took great affoencevwhen we didnt turn up for breakfast (fish) so kind of chucked us out.

Just hope the team turn up as they didnt when we travelled!!

I was only there for a couple of nights for the match in 2007 and thought that it was a fantastic place with extremely friendly people. I met a girl out there so I went back over Christmas for 10 nights and had a fantastic time.

beer and food is cheap ( wine is expensive compared to average Georgian earnings)

Every taxi has a seriously cracked windscreen that you can hardly see out. They also have a big plastic tank in the boot where they pour the petrol by passing the petrol tank where they mix it with rocket fuel of some sort.

not very safe but I was assured it's common place over there and very few accidents. I was in the taxi most of the day around Tbilisi, Mtskheta,the monastery on the hill etc and it was about £20 + I gave the boy a few extra quid tip.

Plenty of good pubs, TA central was the Hanger bar so we avoided there and stuck to the quieter local pubs at the time of the match. When I went to the hanger bar on boxing day the owner was telling me he made almost a years takings the week of the Scotland game.

The Beatles bar on Rustaveli is good and wasn't as packed with TA, had live bands and obviously lots of Beatles music.

as for Roger Moores, I didn't see any but maybe I just wasn't looking.

Edited by Jagtag

Only kidding about the previous photo. It was taken in Georgia but it wasnt my taxi.

I was there in 2007 and met some lovely people. Went back to stay with them a couple of years ago and they drove me the length and breadth of the country. They showed me how near the Russian tanks had got to Tbilisi and it was very close. Blimey!

There is a cable car up the hills t the back of Tblisi which (I dont tink) was there the lat time

tb1_zpsqgobffef.jpg

Because I met so many lovely people over there and was taken under their wing, I might be biased but Georgia is my favourite trip.

Only kidding about the previous photo. It was taken in Georgia but it wasnt my taxi.

I was there in 2007 and met some lovely people. Went back to stay with them a couple of years ago and they drove me the length and breadth of the country. They showed me how near the Russian tanks had got to Tbilisi and it was very close. Blimey!

There is a cable car up the hills t the back of Tblisi which (I dont tink) was there the lat time

tb1_zpsqgobffef.jpg

Because I met so many lovely people over there and was taken under their wing, I might be biased but Georgia is my favourite trip.

Cable car was just down the road from the stadium pick up point in full working order,.Had a shot on it to see what was at the other end.

I was only there for a couple of nights for the match in 2007 and thought that it was a fantastic place with extremely friendly people. I met a girl out there so I went back over Christmas for 10 nights and had a fantastic time.

beer and food is cheap ( wine is expensive compared to average Georgian earnings)

Every taxi has a seriously cracked windscreen that you can hardly see out. They also have a big plastic tank in the boot where they pour the petrol by passing the petrol tank where they mix it with rocket fuel of some sort.

not very safe but I was assured it's common place over there and very few accidents. I was in the taxi most of the day around Tbilisi, Mtskheta,the monastery on the hill etc and it was about £20 + I gave the boy a few extra quid tip.

Plenty of good pubs, TA central was the Hanger bar so we avoided there and stuck to the quieter local pubs at the time of the match. When I went to the hanger bar on boxing day the owner was telling me he made almost a years takings the week of the Scotland game.

The Beatles bar on Rustaveli is good and wasn't as packed with TA, had live bands and obviously lots of Beatles music.

as for Roger Moores, I didn't see any but maybe I just wasn't looking.

Ooh - I'd forgotten about the state of the taxis. We got in one which didn't have working windscreen wipers...which was an interesting experience when it started to rain heavily! They are very cheap and easily available though.

I really liked it last time and am looking forward to going back. I actually thought the food was quite good...there's nothing quite like a bit of red caviar for breakfast! Had a lovely baked chicken dish in one of the restaurants on the main street so I'm hoping I can find that again.

Ooh - I'd forgotten about the state of the taxis. We got in one which didn't have working windscreen wipers...which was an interesting experience when it started to rain heavily! They are very cheap and easily available though.

I really liked it last time and am looking forward to going back. I actually thought the food was quite good...there's nothing quite like a bit of red caviar for breakfast! Had a lovely baked chicken dish in one of the restaurants on the main street so I'm hoping I can find that again.

Its so strange the different experiences we can all have. None of us would ever go back as we had such an awful time there. The only country we have ever said that about too. Thats over a huge amount of travelling to places with the old passport travel and on our own since. The food we encountered seemed ok at the time but it was the after effects that were not in anyway good. I hardle even ate anything either as Im vegi and struggled to get anything.

I wonder if we just had a raw deal out of it. I do remember when the bus was dropping us all off at our hotels we passed some proper hotels droppinggellowfans off and we thought it all seemed fine enough! Then we got to the last few places and it all got decidedly worse. We were in a more dodgy backstreet area that was full of begars everywhere.

We did struggle to find from there the more central busy TA places and didnt till the day of the game which was maybe too late.

We still had a laugh and as I said it being cheap as chips we would have considered going back. However, on coming home all bar one of us having horrendous problems for months having to take immodium even to go to work it had made us all write the place off.

Reading these positive stories may make me re-consider if we play there again as it seems as though there were better experiences.

Tbilisi was one of my favourite trips. Great place, decent people, lots of good wee drinking dens (if you wander off the main streets) and a handful of terrific restaurants.Plus, it's a lovely old town with great character. Pretty much everything was cheap and the taxis were among the greatest taxi experiences ever. If only we could have seen out the windscreens.

Most TA there in 2007 seemed to gravitate towards the Hangar bar, which claimed it was the city's only 'Irish' bar.It wasn't

The only downsides were the mental downpours that shut off the electricity and the enforced closure of pubs near the stadium after the wee spat in Shota Averladze's bar on the afternoon of the match. Oh, and the result.

Is there a McDonalds and KFC?? If so then I'll be laughing, if not I'll not be eating for 3 days

There is a few. We had a 24 hour one on Kote Marjanishvili st next to our hotel in 2007 and we're in there every nights/ early morning, on the way home from the pub.

There was a small one just off Rustaveli too.

McDonald's that is

Edited by Jagtag

Looked online and there's an Irish bar (shock horror) and the food looked no too bad from what I read on the menu.

http://www.thehangar.biz

We spent a lot of time in that bar, and around the area in general.

Food in the pubs wasnt to my liking, im an incredibly fussy bas, but there were several restaurants that were pretty good.

The feedback from the trip was mixed, I remember some hating it, getting sick etc, but its probably my best trip, baring the result of course, I loved it.