Would You Take A Draw In Georgia Right Now? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Would You Take A Draw In Georgia Right Now?

McVinceSCT

No, I wouldn't.

Ireland was different as they are a key rival and 4 for us 1 to them over two games is a pretty decent return. It would win you a league, and it may well help us qualify.

We need to win in Georgia. Our main rivals all won there - we need to keep up with them. It will be a difficult game, they are a difficult lower ranked side.

This game could be the difference between automatic qualification, a playoff sport or even coming fourth.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A draw would be an awful result for Scotland. Assuming you do win in Georgia and all other results go as expected up until the Ireland v Germany and Scotland v Poland games (which is not guaranteed either) the table would look this.

Germany 19

Poland 17

Ireland 15

Scotland 14

If you boys draw in Georgia it reads

Germany 19

Poland 17

Ireland 15

Scotland 12

The big saving grace is your head to head record against us but it would still be a worry for ye. If ye beat Poland ye will definitely finish ahead of,assuming we lose to the Germans, then ye will definitely finish ahead of us, barring something outrageous in Faro. If ye draw then we have to win in Poland and if we do ye are finishing 4th. If Poland manage a win they are qualified and a point in Warsaw will clinch third for us. In essence dont win in Georgia and ye are putting massive pressure on yourselves to beat Poland in order to avoid relying on other results.

If we are going to be satisfied with a point away to Georgia then we might as well give up now.

Ok so we might make an @rse of ourselves and only get a draw but it would be a poor result and would put us under severe pressure against Poland.

A win in Tblisi would all but guarantee a playoff spot and we can then relax against ze Germans and hopefully get something out of that game.

Beat Georgia, draw with Germany, beat Poland and Gibraltar. 21 points and at least second place and time to look out the passport.

A draw would be an awful result for Scotland. Assuming you do win in Georgia and all other results go as expected up until the Ireland v Germany and Scotland v Poland games (which is not guaranteed either) the table would look this.

Germany 19

Poland 17

Ireland 15

Scotland 14

If you boys draw in Georgia it reads

Germany 19

Poland 17

Ireland 15

Scotland 12

The big saving grace is your head to head record against us but it would still be a worry for ye. If ye beat Poland ye will definitely finish ahead of,assuming we lose to the Germans, then ye will definitely finish ahead of us, barring something outrageous in Faro. If ye draw then we have to win in Poland and if we do ye are finishing 4th. If Poland manage a win they are qualified and a point in Warsaw will clinch third for us. In essence dont win in Georgia and ye are putting massive pressure on yourselves to beat Poland in order to avoid relying on other results.

You can dress it up in anyway you want but it is odds on you will need to get some sort of a result at home to the world champions (very unlikely for reasons I have mentioned elsewhere) and/or way to Poland. The very minimum amount of points I see us picking up is 4 points (and that is me being as pessimistic as is possible) that means we will finish with bare minimum of 15 points and so if I remain in Irish pessimism mode then most points you will pick up is six (against Gibraltar and Georgia) and would mean you also finish on fifteen but finish below us on head-to-head.

As for Martin O'Neill's 'style of football'....err strike that as there is no style in it then I presume you love football played in the air. Niall Quinn on Sky conceded Scotland play the better football and the RTE panel were damning about Ireland's lack of creativity and their lack of any craft in midfield. That is seasoned Irishmen speaking not Scotland supporters.

You can dress it up in anyway you want but it is odds on you will need to get some sort of a result at home to the world champions (very unlikely for reasons I have mentioned elsewhere) and/or way to Poland. The very minimum amount of points I see us picking up is 4 points (and that is me being as pessimistic as is possible) that means we will finish with bare minimum of 15 points and so if I remain in Irish pessimism mode then most points you will pick up is six (against Gibraltar and Georgia) and would mean you also finish on fifteen but finish below us on head-to-head.

As for Martin O'Neill's 'style of football'....err strike that as there is no style in it then I presume you love football played in the air. Niall Quinn on Sky conceded Scotland play the better football and the RTE panel were damning about Ireland's lack of creativity and their lack of any craft in midfield. That is seasoned Irishmen speaking not Scotland supporters.

Niall Quinn of Big Jacks samba soccer ; no room for Brady fame ....

Im not trying to dress anything up. Im making the point that a draw for you boys in Georgia puts big pressure on you to beat Poland in order to keep things in your own hands. Do you disagree with that? I dont see how you can. By the by I have no doubt you will win in Georgia. I obviously hope Im wrong.

I would agree Scotland play better football and I do become exasperrated at our "tactics". However the point that was made was the following "I know we are not in any way world beaters,but no one wants to see MoNs anti football at a major tournament.".

It is crude football but I think it is ridiculous to call it "anti football". It is also not the case that Scotland play unbelievable attacking football that people drool over in comparison to Ireland. It was a pointless throw away comment that, in my view, offers nothing to the thread in question "Would you take a draw in Georgia right now?"

Edited by the_walls

I don't think he is trying to dress anything up mate. I actually made the exact same point on the previous page and even included the same daft wee table :)

Georgia is absolutely massive for us, anything other than victory sees us under a lot of pressure to finish 3rd. Writing Ireland off, given they have drawn away to Germany and should have beat the group leaders is just plain idiotic IMO. And I don't mean that towards you. Their own fans and just about every media outlet has them done already.

I'm amazed that we STILL have fans saying 'this is very unlikely' or 'that will probably happen' when we are in a group that has thrown up so many surprises and is still so very tight.

Lots of twists and turns still to come here I reckon.

Ps it is 'crude' though. I watched a rerun of the game yesterday. How the did McCarthy finish the game?

Edited by Angus_Young

End of the day the equation is simple we have to win in Georgia to avoid any building up of pressure that is a certainty. However, I think even in recent years when we have struggled we still have this knack of getting results off of higher ranked teams at home. In recent years I recall us beating Croatia, France, drawing with Italy, the Czech Republic and Germany and beating Ukraine among others so there is a good chance we will take even a bare minimum of one point in our matches against Germany and Poland as well. In recent times as well we have had similar type games against sides like Georgia recently and won away to Macedonia so we do have recent form of getting results when expected.

End of the day the equation is simple we have to win in Georgia to avoid any building up of pressure that is a certainty. However, I think even in recent years when we have struggled we still have this knack of getting results off of higher ranked teams at home. In recent years I recall us beating Croatia, France, drawing with Italy, the Czech Republic and Germany and beating Ukraine among others so there is a good chance we will take even a bare minimum of one point in our matches against Germany and Poland as well. In recent times as well we have had similar type games against sides like Georgia recently and won away to Macedonia so we do have recent form of getting results when expected.

Yes I agree with that. I personally think we should be trying To win the Poland game. Not saying that will be easy but having beat them and drew with them at their place recently why shouldn't we be going for it?

After Saturday's draw us Boys in Green are back being ridiculously optimistic,

If we're looking to make the play offs we're hoping for the following.

Scotland to draw with Georgia and lose to the Germans and Poles. & Ireland to beat Gibralter, Georgia and draw with Germany.or Poland.

or

Poland to lose to Scotland and Germany or get one draw and lose to the Republic of Ireland.

Any of the TA think it's remotely possible?

I think the only chance you guys have is if we lose in Georgia. I think a point from that game would pretty much secure 3rd place for us. You won't catch Poland or Germany.

But this Scotland we are talking about so anything is possible. If we need a win in the last game, it wouldn't be a total surprise if we fuked it up. :lol:

Would it not be better to hope for a Poland win in Germany?

My thinking behind it was that comparing both the teams, Poland are the weaker opposition so it would be easier to beat Poland than Germany. Also we will have just played a tough game in Georgia so will have a slightly fatigued squad as there are only 3 days between the games. Poland is our first game in the next group of fixtures followed by Gibraltar, so it would make sense to me if we hoped a Germany won against Poland and for us to beat Poland at home and let Germany top the group.

I think the only chance you guys have is if we lose in Georgia. I think a point from that game would pretty much secure 3rd place for us. You won't catch Poland or Germany.

But this Scotland we are talking about so anything is possible. If we need a win in the last game, it wouldn't be a total surprise if we fuked it up. :lol:

Of course it is still on a knife edge and could go either way.

However, if we are purely going on our results under Strachan then we have won matches we have been expected to such as Macedonia (away) and Georgia and Gibraltar (both home) which suggests a up is less unlikely than if we were in the form we were under Levein and Burley.

Would it not be better to hope for a Poland win in Germany?

My thinking behind it was for Germany to beat Poland at home leaving us to deal with Poland at home as they are the easier opposition between the two teams. Also we will have just had a tough away fixture against Georgia, leaving our best starting players fatigued, as there are only a couple of days in between the Georgia fixture and Germany at home. Poland at home is our next game after Germany and is our first game in the double header between them and then the final game away to Gibraltar. Our players will be less fatigued against Poland as they won't have had a game only an couple of days before it, meaning obviously a more energetic performance! Also as extra motivation, in case for some reason they needed it, it will be the last home game so the tartan army will be in fine voice!

It's no surprise that this type of question is still being asked. For years we've been told by managers that drawing away wasn't a bad thing and its cost us.

A draw would be a disaster

yep, last saturday was almost a disaster with us sitting back, needed a complete fluke of a goal to get us out of the shit, all be it their goal shouldnt have stood but it was in the post anyway.

It's no surprise that this type of question is still being asked. For years we've been told by managers that drawing away wasn't a bad thing and its cost us.

A draw would be a disaster

Craig Brown was the universes worst for that! Its all very well as long as you can win all your home games, but it used to drive me nuts in the build up to a game in Latvia or Lithuania and say "we are out for the win.......BUT, a draw would not be the end of the universe as we will get them back at Hampden!"

A draw could've been perceived as a decent result if Poland and Ireland slipped up there - they didn't. Also, the fact Poland beat Germany has made this even more of a must-win game. If we are serious about the top two, we have to win this game and keep ourselves within three points of Poland (presuming we both lose to Germany and they beat Gibraltar) ahead of the big game in October. Win that and we go above them going into the last game.

Quite simply, we need to win, a draw is no good.