Never Felt So Good Being A Scotland Fan - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Never Felt So Good Being A Scotland Fan

King Of Paisley

We're way off the euphoric days of 2007 for me but you never know.. getting something off Ireland will raise the excitement levels big time!

If we could manage to get a win in Dublin, I think I would feel even more confident than after that win in Paris. I'm not expecting to win but it would be a massive step towards qualification if we did.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to put a downer on a positive thread, but I personally enjoyed being a Scotland fan more in the '90s, when we regularly qualified for tournaments with what felt like ease.

Credit to wee Strachan though, he's done a good job so far. Where we are in the group is where I hoped we would be at this juncture. Perhaps most impressive of all though, he seems to have got the side playing semi-decent football. Even back in the 'glory days' when we qualified for tournaments, we rarely played great football.

Not wanting to put a downer on a positive thread, but I personally enjoyed being a Scotland fan more in the '90s, when we regularly qualified for tournaments with what felt like ease.

Credit to wee Strachan though, he's done a good job so far. Where we are in the group is where I hoped we would be at this juncture. Perhaps most impressive of all though, he seems to have got the side playing semi-decent football. Even back in the 'glory days' when we qualified for tournaments, we rarely played great football.

I think we played some excellent stuff in the 70s. We started to go a bit defensive and negative under Stein, ironically. Then Roxburgh and Broon took the defensiveness to new levels, but at least they got results. We have just been pretty shyte since then. Hopefully we are about to turn the corner under Strachan.

Aye, that was my youthful memory of following Scotland. Every WC & hardly any EC's.

But just imagine the buzz of qualifying after 18 years of nothing! :)

The older of my two sons was 5 in 98 - he remembers Colin Hendrie but that's all. Since then, nothing. Now they're 22 and 20 and have served their time!

Wins in Dublin and Tbilisi would raise excitement levels to those of 2007 and ready for Poland and Germany at Hampden

In the past three years Scotland have beaten a Croatian team already qualified, beat FYR Macedonia 2-1. A win against ROI. There have been two losses to the old enemy England. A couple of losses to Wales

Never felt so good? You must have low standards

Missed a few matches there matey but not the same if you tell the whole truth is it.

Don't have low standards mate. Point I was making was it hasn't felt so good after the dark days of Levein and Burley. Given that we are in a strong position in our group, 2 defeats in 14 games and at last have a manager who actually knows what he is doing. And, having qualified or not, beating Croatia on home soil is a tough ask in anyone's language.

What's not to like, I ask........................

In the past three years Scotland have beaten a Croatian team already qualified, beat FYR Macedonia 2-1. A win against ROI. There have been two losses to the old enemy England. A couple of losses to Wales

No we just had to endure Craig Levein and George Burely for 3 largely horrible campaigns, so after than Strachan is a welcome change.

We've only lost to England and Germany in a couple of years.

Just skip a 1 or 2 or 7 games ya wee chancer

I'll feel even better at 7pm on Saturday after we've beaten you plebs. Edited by Squirrelhumper

Beating France was great but both games were like the Alamo and we were lucky to win.

We played better against Germany last year than we did in either of those games.

You always win when you visit the Alamo.

We still lost though.

I know but the France games were flukes really. They were also on the decline at the time. Germany had just won the World Cup.

If we had taken something from Dortmund we would have fully deserved it. Ok the first half was a bit ropey and the defending for the second goal was suicidal but I do think we're a (slightly) better team now.

Only time will tell I suppose.

This game separates the men from the boys, we must go for the win and make a statement in this group.

Poland will be on 14 points when they beat Georgia so need to keep pace.

Attack attack attack C'mon Scotland.