If The Other 3 Parts Of The Uk Had Their Own "indyref" - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If The Other 3 Parts Of The Uk Had Their Own "indyref"

What percentage do you think would vote to get out/stay in?

IMO England the only other actual country of the union would vote 30% yes, 70% no.

NI, the north of Ireland despite the demographics changing their are still a good 20 years off from their country uniting as one again. 40% yes, 60% no.

Wales is one of the few places in the world that isn't an independent country that wont even discuss the issue. Pretty sad IMO. That's what happens when Rugby is your lead sport. 18% yes, 72% no.

I would prefer if Scotland where the country that dismantled this disgusting war mongering union of murder but I would take any of the others to do the damage.

IMO England the only other actual country of the union would vote 30% yes, 70% no.

NI, the north of Ireland despite the demographics changing their are still a good 20 years off from their country uniting as one again. 40% yes, 60% no.

Wales is one of the few places in the world that isn't an independent country that wont even discuss the issue. Pretty sad IMO. That's what happens when Rugby is your lead sport. 18% yes, 72% no.

I would prefer if Scotland where the country that dismantled this disgusting war mongering union of murder but I would take any of the others to do the damage.

I don't think you are too far off with those % totals! Especially the Welsh one. They have to be one of the most subservient "nations" around!

I don't think you are too far off with those % totals! Especially the Welsh one. They have to be one of the most subservient "nations" around!

Am I correct in saying that Scotland had a vote on devolution in the 70s and the people of Scotland said thanks but no thanks?

You're kidding aren't you? The English Yes campaign would skoosh it (although I suspect the turn out would be pretty low).

I'm with you on Wales and Northern Ireland though. In spite of doing a wonderful job of preserving their own language (with a little help from Mr Lloyd George) and culture, there seems to be little appetite for full independence in Wales. Then again, twenty years people were said the same about Scotland.

Everything points to a possible reunification of Ireland, although from what I can gather enthusiasm for the idea seems to dropped off a little in the republic.

Am I correct in saying that Scotland had a vote on devolution in the 70s and the people of Scotland said thanks but no thanks?

Not quite. A small majority voted in favour of an assembly back in 1979 (essentially just a talking shop with only limited actual legislative powers) but thanks to a piece of last minute gerrymandering from anti-devolution MPs the turn-out was not significantly high enough for the vote to be carried.

(A clause was tacked-on that a minimum of 40% of the total electorate must vote in favour of the assembly in order for a Yes vote to stand. As if that wasn't bad enough, they used out of date electoral records, meaning that people who had died and/or left Scotland were counted too.)

My brother in law is from "The Valleys", we made a pact not to talk to each other about the referendum last year as it would be guaranteed to end up in a battle. Let's just say the thought of anyone leaving the Union was a completely alien concept to everyone in his circle of friends and family back down the road.

Us- 50 years plus

Wales - biggest county in England never

yous - ten years might do it

If and when Northern Ireland leaves the Union, do you think it will be as an independent state or will it be a case of reunification?

I can't pretend to understand the intricacies of NI politics but it seems to me that an independent state might be a more attractive proposition to get a majority from both sides to get behind.

Edited by aaid

If and when Northern Ireland leaves the Union, do you think it will be as an independent state or will it be a case of reunification?

I can't pretend to understand the intricacies of NI politics but it seems to me that an independent state might be a more attractive proposition to get a majority from both sides to get behind.

Doubt independence would be a serious runner though some in loyalist circles have toyed with the idea and Northern Irish is the current flavour of the month as a fall back position re identity

My 50 years is reunionifaction along the lines of slowly boiling a frog

No idea re percentages but if Scotland had voted Yes last year I think rUK would not have lasted very long after that. Wales has been constitutionally tied to England for yonks though so, who knows, maybe you'd see a Serbia&Montenegro-type arrangement for a while.

If England went independent it's highly doubtful the other three would stay together as one.

Remove Scotland from the Union and part of NI identity goes I think given historical links. Sure to be knock-on effects.

I think part of the reason the union is always talked about in terms of Sco & Eng is because the post-Union futures of Wales and NI would be too complex to even contemplate.

Mario Monti (ex Euro commissioner, ex technocrat PM of Italy) talked of 'double disintegration' on Newsnight last night - saying if UK exited EU, Scotland would be 'most likely' to leave the UK.

However he didn't express an opinion on if Scotland could, in that circumstance, stay on in EU. (And Evan Davies didn't ask, but changed the subject...)

You're taking England as a whole whereas there are parts that want independence from the rest such as Yorkshire & Cornwall.

You're kidding aren't you? The English Yes campaign would skoosh it (although I suspect the turn out would be pretty low).

I'm with you on Wales and Northern Ireland though. In spite of doing a wonderful job of preserving their own language (with a little help from Mr Lloyd George) and culture, there seems to be little appetite for full independence in Wales. Then again, twenty years people were said the same about Scotland.

Everything points to a possible reunification of Ireland, although from what I can gather enthusiasm for the idea seems to dropped off a little in the republic.

Not quite. A small majority voted in favour of an assembly back in 1979 (essentially just a talking shop with only limited actual legislative powers) but thanks to a piece of last minute gerrymandering from anti-devolution MPs the turn-out was not significantly high enough for the vote to be carried.

(A clause was tacked-on that a minimum of 40% of the total electorate must vote in favour of the assembly in order for a Yes vote to stand. As if that wasn't bad enough, they used out of date electoral records, meaning that people who had died and/or left Scotland were counted too.)

compare to last year, although YES got 45% of the vote, it was only 37% of the electorate.

so even though yes won in 79, it was not considered enough.. if the same rules had applied and YES won last year, we would not have been allowed Indy ... so u can see what a con it was...... in 79...

Brian Wilson is the man responsible for that..

A man i hold responsible for Thatcherism coming to our country...