A Pathetic Viewpoint On Independence - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A Pathetic Viewpoint On Independence

On a forum I frequent this is a poster from Luton's take on independence:-

SNP was playing on a different set of fears. The fear of thier being ignored and left by the wayside. There was some truth to that but that half baked plan for independence could barely convince any halfway competent person that the SNP knew what they were doing. instead the snp played on their fears and some good old anti english sentiment amd nearly lead them into disaster. Even now there's a chance that Cameron may call their bluff and stick em in the Poopie.

Who the bloody hell votes for someone whi has a fiscal plan upon which he cannot give concrete answers or answers that aren't complete suppositions. Even worse who could conceivably put faith in a plan being sold by a guy who when denied the use of sterling announces to the world that Scotland will not pay it's share of the debt.

There are three answers.

A. That 45% of the Scottish are imbeciles
B. Alex Salmond is the son of Keynes
c. The Scottish are letting their hearts rule their head and ignoring the most crucial points because it puts a damper on their dream and aren't giving a thought to the consequences.

I don't have any hesitation in saying it's C.

I don't doubt that a significant proportion of those people were willing to put up with the inevitable hardship that would come afterwards. But much of that 45% is anti english sentiment and that's merely another manifestation of bigotry and bigotry is the refuge of the unimportant or those who perceive themselves to be unimportant. These are the fears that pound shop matryoshkya doll preyed upon. Now that they've got a competent leader they may well achieve independence in the next few decades and it will probably be with a better plan that doesn't rely on guesses or stubborn refusal to accept the facts.

There's an article in the Sunday Herald about the view about the SNP in the English shires. The ignorance of these people shines through. One 'businessman' called Nicola Sturgeon 'an English hating Communist xenophobe'. Another commented about hating the Scots but wanting us to stay together in the Union!

Obviously some of the comments from Boris Johnson being levelled at us has washed over them. And the accusation that SNP MP's and supporters and simply anti-English sums up this ignorance. One would hope that this is a snapshot and not a reflection on a majority of English people who show no such animosity

In a way I'm lucky in that my other half and her family will at least talk to me and try and understand why we want Indy or why we are anti Westminster. To be fair to them they kind of start understanding but then something will pop up in msm and its back to the start. To give an example brother in law couldn't understand why we would never support England in football. I tried to explane about football rivalries and such but all he could say was but we support you. I think as well there is an element of not understanding the Scottish humour such as Andy Murray anyone but England comment. Very tongue in cheek but the English went mad and thought he was being serious and was anti english

It is the bigoted bit that infuriates me. Is it bigoted to want to run your own country and govern your own laws and be in command of your own destiny? Of course not. It could so easily be countered then it is a bigoted view by unionists to be anti-Scots who desire independence does it not? How to English feel abou Maltese? Are they all bigots for gaining independence just over 50 years ago?

You know what infuriates me the most? The British Establishment were quite happy to engage with the likes of Sinn Fein, a mouthpiece for an organisation that bombed and murdered it's way to the negotiation table in the name of peace. Yet we send a bloc of democratically elected MP's from a party which has no blood on its hands with a mandate based on fairness in Scottish society yet all hell breaks loose with the Unionist mafia and their fourth establishment pals trying to smear us and treat us like pariahs?

In a way I'm lucky in that my other half and her family will at least talk to me and try and understand why we want Indy or why we are anti Westminster. To be fair to them they kind of start understanding but then something will pop up in msm and its back to the start. To give an example brother in law couldn't understand why we would never support England in football. I tried to explane about football rivalries and such but all he could say was but we support you. I think as well there is an element of not understanding the Scottish humour such as Andy Murray anyone but England comment. Very tongue in cheek but the English went mad and thought he was being serious and was anti english

i thought he was being serious.

You know what infuriates me the most? The British Establishment were quite happy to engage with the likes of Sinn Fein, a mouthpiece for an organisation that bombed and murdered it's way to the negotiation table in the name of peace. Yet we send a bloc of democratically elected MP's from a party which has no blood on its hands with a mandate based on fairness in Scottish society yet all hell breaks loose with the Unionist mafia and their fourth establishment pals trying to smear us and treat us like pariahs?

They (the people who hold power in the UK) will never 'give' you anything that you have not won already, one way or the other, and even then it is just another disguised way to find a new route to attack you. This is what you are dealing with here.

One thread to the energy of Sept 18th was the feeling that we were somehow taking democracy back. It has clearly become a corrupt shameful charade, with phoney candidates bought and sold umpteen times before they even get before the electorate.

There is something to be said for flushing out the cosy political elite and replacing them every 50 years no? Christ Scotland was in need of flush. Labour in Scotland were putrid, really really rotten and clinging to the sides of the bowl. I am in awe of the Scottish people once again for actually doing this. It will take a time to get my head around them voting No but this at least makes me think they are perhaps working to some crazy step by step let's get comfortable plan to Independence...

I know the question beforehand, but don't believe it changes the fact that Murray was serious. I want them to lose every time they play. It's football. I feel the same way about Ayr. I know a great guy who supports Ayr. My best man is English. It's not life, it's just football stuff. Murray seems to feel the same.

I think it's you that didn't understand Murray's quote.

There was an element in murrys quote yes he is serious about supporting anyone but England but its not the end of the world if they win. Your not going to stop talking to a friend if they decide to support a*r but at the same time as a Killie fan you will shout for anyone that Ayr are playing.

There was an element in murrys quote yes he is serious about supporting anyone but England but its not the end of the world if they win. Your not going to stop talking to a friend if they decide to support a*r but at the same time as a Killie fan you will shout for anyone that Ayr are playing.

So not tongue in cheek then.

It's a bit like Gray and Keys saying they don't think there should be women officials and then going back on it and saying they have every right to officiate. Of course they don't think there should be women officials and of course Andy wants anyone but England to win but they have images to protect.

Ye tongue in cheek wasn't the right phrase even if he was smirking when he did it. Guess we could argue about serious as well. Life or death serious or just don't want it serious

He was with Tim Henman and some Daily mail journalist who were asking him who he was going to support since scotland weren't going, giving him snash about it, so he said anyone but england in response. It wasn't even in the interview really just the 3 of them bantering about the football.

He was with Tim Henman and some Daily mail journalist who were asking him who he was going to support since scotland weren't going, giving him snash about it, so he said anyone but england in response. It wasn't even in the interview really just the 3 of them bantering about the football.

Spot on. The three of them were preparing for a press conference and the journalist and Tim Henman were ribbing Muzza (in a friendly banter type of way) saying what will you be doing this summer since Scotland didn't qualify? Naturally, he bantered them back by saying 'supporting whoever plays England' (or words to that effect) and from that the eavesdropping media purported the myth that he was anti-English. Pretty damned pathetic and a lot of zooms still believe that is what he is to this day because they love trying to convince others we are all anti-English.

Spot on. The three of them were preparing for a press conference and the journalist and Tim Henman were ribbing Muzza (in a friendly banter type of way) saying what will you be doing this summer since Scotland didn't qualify? Naturally, he bantered them back by saying 'supporting whoever plays England' (or words to that effect) and from that the eavesdropping media purported the myth that he was anti-English. Pretty damned pathetic and a lot of zooms still believe that is what he is to this day because they love trying to convince others we are all anti-English.

But he definitely supports anyone that plays England like most of us. He tried to go back on that to save his image.

Well we don't know that. In times of banter with an Englishman pulling his leg then definitely but aside from that he probably couldn't give a stuff.

That would be different from any normal scottish football fan though. You could say anything about him, for example, he probably supports England as much as us but in all probability that would be wrong too.