Mhairi Black - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It was a brilliant speech; a bit sad that some on here have to start waffling on to take the thread way off topic but that seems to be the norm here these days.

New to the internet are we squire? Perhaps you should stick to the Daily Mail...

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New to the internet are we squire? Perhaps you should stick to the Daily Mail...

Weird threads get taken off-topic all the time with nary a word. But a shining one topic has two folk going on about it in as many pages.

Like the human trait height it has quantitative differences , i now suspect other attributes like self-awareness and consciousness are bound by the same rules. A spectrum.

You Partisans are bad.

Weird threads get taken off-topic all the time with nary a word. But a shining one topic has two folk going on about it in as many pages.

Like the human trait height it has quantitative differences , i now suspect other attributes like self-awareness and consciousness are bound by the same rules. A spectrum.

You Partisans are bad.

There was a survey fairly recently that showed more than 50% of SNP supporters feel like they're being personally insulted when someone criticises their party. A massive margin over 2nd place greens with 36%. It certainly shows.

Seems a bit "cultish" if you ask me...

Edited by Scunnered

I've now listened to Miss Blacks speech, and I have to agree with Irnbruman. It was brilliance*

*If you ignore every single bit of relevant context imaginable.

How about you indulge us and outline the bits that you didn't agree with then?

I think stating the old guy hadn't ate or drank for 5 days was a bit OTT considering you'd be more than feinting if you went 5 days without drinking, but i think it was the way it came out as opposed to actually suggesting someone went 5 days without water when they probably had access to a tap somewhere.

Also her advice to go to the job centre seemed terrible considering the outcome.

I think stating the old guy hadn't ate or drank for 5 days was a bit OTT considering you'd be more than feinting if you went 5 days without drinking, but i think it was the way it came out as opposed to actually suggesting someone went 5 days without water when they probably had access to a tap somewhere.

Also her advice to go to the job centre seemed terrible considering the outcome.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I would probably have given the same advice in the same circumstances with the same outcome.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I would probably have given the same advice in the same circumstances with the same outcome.

That was a joke MacWalka my friend :wink2: I doubt any clear-thinking person would assume it would take 5 days of saving without eating or drinking to gather the funds to make it to the jobcentre thereby fainting and being 5minutes late and then getting sanctioned for 13 weeks.

No one would expect that to be the outcome of sayng "well why don't you go up the jobcentre"

Edited by phart

You would say that :wink2:

I'm not trolling, and Pharts not the trolling type. If you think the mob mentality of a very sizeable element of the SNP support is acceptable you're perfectly entitled to do so... But from an outsider perspective you're very much the HÅ«ns of politics :)

If you don't want to recognise what you are doing then fair enough. Doesn't change anything though.

Where was this job centre that he had to save 5 days bus money ?

10/10.

I was wondering that too. I know a lot have closed lately so it is likely that his nearest one was a bus ride away. You then have to consider how much money he had in the first place. Without knowing the whole story its hard to comment though.

There was a survey fairly recently that showed more than 50% of SNP supporters feel like they're being personally insulted when someone criticises their party. A massive margin over 2nd place greens with 36%. It certainly shows.

you're a partisan too!

It's why i never get banned on here and at the same time annoy so many folk, i never attack them, i attack what they associate with and the results are exactly the same.

the fact is we've had about 5 years of discussion on this board about the referendum and what was important. who was letting their partisanship over-ride their critical thinking skills "60% yes" comes to mind. Leaving the currency debate till after the referendum comes to mind, currency unions, Europe is great etc etc. We've had an answer on the efficacy of such thoughts in the context of the referendum. Thinking these things were absolutely wrong.

The Referendum was what was important to me, not the general election where it's the same tired game.

I'm not trolling, I just went from one person saying the rights of foxes and individuals should trump national sovereignty as a rationalisation for the SNP position to clicking on someone crying at a speech about a guy who only feinted having not eaten or drank for 5 days as it took 5 days worth of food and drink money to purchase a return bus ticket to the job centre.

None of this really reflects on Mhairi Black though, who i think is an extremely impressive person.

you're a partisan too!

It's why i never get banned on here and at the same time annoy so many folk, i never attack them, i attack what they associate with and the results are exactly the same.

the fact is we've had about 5 years of discussion on this board about the referendum and what was important. who was letting their partisanship over-ride their critical thinking skills "60% yes" comes to mind. Leaving the currency debate till after the referendum comes to mind, currency unions, Europe is great etc etc. We've had an answer on the efficacy of such thoughts in the context of the referendum. Thinking these things were absolutely wrong.

The Referendum was what was important to me, not the general election where it's the same tired game.

I'm not trolling, I just went from one person saying the rights of foxes and individuals should trump national sovereignty as a rationalisation for the SNP position to clicking on someone crying at a speech about a guy who only feinted having not eaten or drank for 5 days as it took 5 days worth of food and drink money to purchase a return bus ticket to the job centre.

None of this really reflects on Mhairi Black though, who i think is an extremely impressive person.

Out of interest, what would you say would be 5 days worth of food and drink in monetary value? How much do you think someone in a similar situation would need for that?

Maybe i am misinterpreting the tone of your post, though.

Out of interest, what would you say would be 5 days worth of food and drink in monetary value? How much do you think someone in a similar situation would need for that?

Maybe i am misinterpreting the tone of your post, though.

Well looking at this blog that details the monetary cost of 200 calories of certain foods in America and extrapolating to the UK market with an assumption of a 2000 calorie a day intake, in conjunction with a second blog detailing cheap meals amounting to approximately 2000 calories a day, i would say between £20 and £50. So between £4 and £10 a day would be the upper and lower binding limits.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/what-does-200-calories-cost-the-economics-of-obesity.html

http://www.mensfitness.co.uk/nutrition/diet-plans/1171/money-saving-fat-loss-plan

and using this british based blog

I don't live in Renfrewshire.

the person we're discussing does though.

Right so not talking about politics in the fox politic thread and not talking about renfrewshire job centres on the discussion about travelling to a job centre in renfrewshire. Got you lol :ok:

I imagine this is because the cause of the SNP (like the cause of the Greens) is a bigger part of the identity of the individual being questioned. I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily.

Besides, is it any wonder that some of the SNP membership have a bunker mentality (you might describe it as 'cultish') after years of being called Nazis or Cybernats by an entirely (save The National) hostile media?

Why are folk wondering how much money could be saved anyway? Why can't you work it out yourself?

The only reason i asked you to give your take on it was that i got the impression that you thought that part of the speech was bullshit.

Somehow, i doubt the guy in question would have been basing his daily intake on a sufficient calorie count, and i would be amazed if his daily expenditure on food would amount to even close to your lowest estimate of £4.

The upshot of my assessment is that it is perfectly plausible that this happened as relayed by Miss Black. Desperate poverty can be exactly that for far too many of us.

I imagine this is because the cause of the SNP (like the cause of the Greens) is a bigger part of the identity of the individual being questioned. I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily.

Besides, is it any wonder that some of the SNP membership have a bunker mentality (you might describe it as 'cultish') after years of being called Nazis or Cybernats by an entirely (save The National) hostile media?

So the reaction to the hostile media describing you as Cybernats is to... Act like Cybernats?

I don't understand the thinking behind your first paraphrase however. If I was a member of a neoliberal, pro-austerity party I certainly wouldn't take criticism personally.