Mhairi Black - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

even with everything that happened last night

for a 20 year old nobody to do what she did against alexander was the moment of the night

what a girl

she was definatley put in there with nil expectations, any hint of a win in that seat and there would have been someone more senior in there

what a girl

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality of candidates, or monkeys with SNP rosettes would have been voted in? With long standing and "big-hitting" Labour/Lib MPs in place maybe a bit of both but certainly more down to the party than the candidate. As for Black, am not too sure about her being labelled as a rising star but given her age, that's only natural........

Quality of candidates, or monkeys with SNP rosettes would have been voted in? With long standing and "big-hitting" Labour/Lib MPs in place maybe a bit of both but certainly more down to the party than the candidate. As for Black, am not too sure about her being labelled as a rising star but given her age, that's only natural........

Have you listened to what she has to say and how she says it? I believe this young lady is a huge asset to the SNP and Scotland as a whole. She will undoubtedly make mistakes but she is the sort of person that ordinary folk will want to vote for. She reminds me a wee bit of Margo when she was a youngster.

She needs a new wardrobe ats for sure

She will now be able to afford it that's for sure. But I think she should do very little to deliberately change her image. Folk want people from ordinary backgrounds to represent them in government. It hasn't really happened too much before. It's time it started.

If she had a posh English accent, the media would have her as their darling, and she would be lauded day in day out. But she doesn't, so she will be derided for her accent and what she wears.

Mhairi was able to come to prominence during the Indy campaign because people in Scotland went back to engaging in political debate and she was articulate, passionate and in tune with her electorate. Sadly, down south it's still all about presentation which is one of the reasons the Tories swept back into power.

Fortunately she will be surrounded by a team of SNP colleagues who should support her and help to make her the best MP her constituents could have - and be far more focussed on their needs than Dougie would have been.

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy

Would far rather have someone like her who comes out with normal things you and your pals would say - which the media will paint as gaffes - than any more Etonian w.ankers with silver spoons up their backsides

Silver spoons up their noses more like.

I have to admit my first thought when I heard a 20 yr old had been selected to take on Alexander my first thoughts were that it was an opportunity missed, to put up a "strong" candidate, to have a go at Dougie.

Then I heard her speak and suddenly I got it.

She's very sharp, passionate, authentic and articulate.

I think she has the same quality that Nicola has, that when she talks, you believe that she believes wholeheartedly in what she is saying and that's something not many politicians have.

A future party leader.

Silver spoons up their noses more like.

I have to admit my first thought when I heard a 20 yr old had been selected to take on Alexander my first thoughts were that it was an opportunity missed, to put up a "strong" candidate, to have a go at Dougie.

Then I heard her speak and suddenly I got it.

She's very sharp, passionate, authentic and articulate.

I think she has the same quality that Nicola has, that when she talks, you believe that she believes wholeheartedly in what she is saying and that's something not many politicians have.

A future party leader.

:ok::ok::ok:

A daft 20 year old lassie would haven't taken out a, lets be honest, political heavyweight in the manner that she did. The people of Paisley and the surrounding districts aren't daft and Mhairi must have got her message across loud and clear.

She will do well, but she'll need to learn fast. The House Of Commons is a nest of vipers and it will take experienced operators like Angus Robertson and Alex Salmond to provide some guidance.

If a plank of wood had stood for the SNP on Thursday it would have got elected.

as I said, the party swell had a lot to do with it but not everything - particularly when standing against the big hitters. You're perhaps a little biased in your interpretation.

Edited by Return of Yermaw

Saw a few Paisley folk interviewed yesterday and they made the point that in his 16 years as their MP they'd never seen Alexander. I don't know if that's a fair representation of his time as MP for the area or not, but he certainly comes across as a career politician. Elected at 29 after spending his entire life, other than 6 months as a solicitor, in education being groomed for a political life.

Black may only be 20 but she comes across as someone who has stood for parliament to make a difference rather than a living. That's what I want in an MP.

There was a labour seat declared not long before (one of the Sunderland ones maybe) where the winning labour candidate was a standard well groomed template politician (not bad looking either) who in her thank you speech felt the need to thank her f**king agent. That for me summed up why labour are now dead.

Mhairi Black was a breath of fresh air compared to that.

There was a labour seat declared not long before (one of the Sunderland ones maybe) where the winning labour candidate was a standard well groomed template politician (not bad looking either) who in her thank you speech felt the need to thank her f**king agent. That for me summed up why labour are now dead.

Mhairi Black was a breath of fresh air compared to that.

Pretty standard stuff to thank the agent, they are usually the person who puts in all the hours and hard work.

Agree with all your other points though.

Suggesting that Mhairi is a "plank of wood" is embarrassingly ignorant

Saying that she "needs to improve her dress sense" is shallow

Anyone who votes based on that that shouldnt have a vote tbh

Suggesting that Mhairi is a "plank of wood" is embarrassingly ignorant

Saying that she "needs to improve her dress sense" is shallow

Anyone who votes based on that that shouldnt have a vote tbh

It was shallow when folk were doing it to Johann Lamont as well...

She needs a new wardrobe ats for sure

Well that is a little gem! :rolleyes:

If a plank of wood had stood for the SNP on Thursday it would have got elected.

Utterly pathetic. You clearly know f@ck all about Mhairi or the huge amount of work it took. I saw her speak at the SNP Conference in Perth and I knew then she was something. And to suggest this result wasn't down to loads of hard work and arguments that resonated with the people is to do exactly what the Labour Party have done which is exactly why the only have 1 MP left. You clearly have no idea whatsoever what has happened in Scotland.

Edited by Lamia