So...what Happens Now ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So...what Happens Now ?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's got to be an offer from Cameron of FFA for EVEL... except we'll still have Trident, companies based in England won't pay tax in Scotland, and the Treasury will still pocket all the oil reciepts, leading to the SNP rejecting it and being made to look churlish... also on the cards is an EU referendum where Cameron gets SNP, Labour, etc to do all his campaigning for him.

Tom Hunter has suggested Cameron offer Salmond the secretary of state for Scotland post in his new cabinet.

They need to inject some 'legitimacy' to rule Scotland into their cabinet and by offering it ,it would put the ball back in the SNP's court.

Cameron's first statement was about 'one United Kingdom''...'government for the whole UK' etc etc.

That doesn't suggest to me that he's thinking about going down the Federal road.

Edited by Rossy

Cameron's first statement was about 'one United Kingdom''...'government for the whole UK' etc etc.

That doesn't suggest to me that he's thinking about going down the Federal road.

He doesn't have to, he got Boris to do it on Wednesday http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-backs-grownup-conversation-on-federal-uk-to-fight-nationalism-10230034.html

Gideon also said in the wee small hours that "we have to listen to what the Scottish people are telling us."

Union back in crisis. Can see momentum from Tories and LibDems for some federal rework of UK. The key is how Labour react to it. Given the scale of Labour's defeat, they surely can't position themselves as opposing federalism. Would be madness.

Scotland now looking at another 5 year of Tories and a further realisation that Scotland is utterly impotent in UK politics.

I think we're looking at about a 5 point increase in support for independence. Not enough to ready us for another referendum, but if SNP MPs work hard, pick some good fights, I think we're potentially looking at a referendum before 2020 because ultimately, Westminster will fall short.

Union back in crisis. Can see momentum from Tories and LibDems for some federal rework of UK. The key is how Labour react to it. Given the scale of Labour's defeat, they surely can't position themselves as opposing federalism. Would be madness.

Scotland now looking at another 5 year of Tories and a further realisation that Scotland is utterly impotent in UK politics.

I think we're looking at about a 5 point increase in support for independence. Not enough to ready us for another referendum, but if SNP MPs work hard, pick some good fights, I think we're potentially looking at a referendum before 2020 because ultimately, Westminster will fall short.

You can't extrapolate the vote share at the general election to support for indepence.

Im extrapolating support for SNP as support for independence. Give or take a couple of percent, it's not going to be far off. And with all due respect, the thread is about what we think will happen next. I cant predict the future without extrapolating data and implications of the General Election.

Fundamentally, you can't possibly think that the General Election hasnt taken us slightly closer to independence.

Im extrapolating support for SNP as support for independence. Give or take a couple of percent, it's not going to be far off. And with all due respect, the thread is about what we think will happen next. I cant predict the future without extrapolating data and implications of the General Election.

Fundamentally, you can't possibly think that the General Election hasnt taken us slightly closer to independence.

You're making the assumption that everyone who voted for the SNP supports the SNP and Independence there will have been many that voted against Labour because their present incarnation is so shite and against the Lib Dems because of the coalition that would vote no if there were another referendum tomorrow.

However one question that does come to mind is would Sturgeon have won the referendum had she been leader rather than Eck?

You're making the assumption that everyone who voted for the SNP supports the SNP and Independence there will have been many that voted against Labour because their present incarnation is so shite and against the Lib Dems because of the coalition that would vote no if there were another referendum tomorrow.

However one question that does come to mind is would Sturgeon have won the referendum had she been leader rather than Eck?

As I said, I dont think we're near being able to have a referendum and win. Just that I think there's been a small, several point swing to Yes since September. Sturgeon has probably won a couple of points on her own. The General Election result probably sees another couple of point swing. It all totals up.

Ultimately, the Union is on life support and needs major surgery to save it. Doing little, nothing or tinkering around edges will not save it. Can you see major, radical reform coming?! I don't. Only significant, deep cuts.

I think the referendum was lost on the economics rather than the personalities, although its unknown how many voted for either strictly because of Nazi Salmond.

Edited by scoobydoo

I'd like to be present when Dave and Betty meet for lunch at Buckingham Palace.

".....I'm afraid that awful Salmond chap is back ma'am and this new MP for Paisley and Renfrewshire South looks a right bloody handful !...."

"....I'm warning you now Dave my lad, if they try to take Balmoral off me I'm declaring an absolute monarchy...."

I asked myself that outloud about 02.00 this morning.

As has been pointed out, I don't think it would have made a difference to the outcome as the economic case simply wasn't made. However....maybe Sturgeon would have approached things differently and would have been more persuasive. Much less polarising.

We'll find out when the 2nd referendum comes around.... :wink2:

I don't think there was much anyone could have done to stop the SNP this time. The other seats had a large element of tactical voting that defeated the SNP imo.

No arguments here. As my good friend Baby Cove has just said to me, "At least all the evil ones went too". :ok: