Lib Dems - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh you asked for any examples and I gave you two. Pupil Premium was a Lib Dem commitment in 2010 as was the tax allowance commitment.

I would agree that reduction in tax allowance is good but as someone who teaches in secondary education I remain to be convinced of the benefits of PP. I'm not knocking the idea in theory but in practice I think its been very very patchy, that's far from just being a personal opinion - maybe where you are it's been more successful. Education has been a shambles under this administration - not that the opposition has been much use.

Can you not just register in a new name? Works fine on the TAMB.

I am not that desperate ;)

eh you asked for any examples and I gave you two. Pupil Premium was a Lib Dem commitment in 2010 as was the tax allowance commitment.

And I asked if they made the Tories do these things?

I would agree that reduction in tax allowance is good but as someone who teaches in secondary education I remain to be convinced of the benefits of PP. I'm not knocking the idea in theory but in practice I think its been very very patchy, that's far from just being a personal opinion - maybe where you are it's been more successful. Education has been a shambles under this administration - not that the opposition has been much use.

My daughter is a Child Protection Officer at a state school. I can only speak from personal experience on how the PP has benefited some kids in terms of their personal achievement despite many challenges put in front of them.

In real world politics it's inevitable that you would see one or two LD hobby horses or policy priorities appear in legislation, but any good they might have achieved through pupil premium is dwarfed by the genuine damage done to the families from whom those recipients are often likely to come through the wiping out of services and support at local level. Indeed, many Heads report that they are having to spend PP on plugging holes in shringking budgets elsewhere rather than genuine investment in troubled or simply poor children.

To give an example, Bradford Council used to have a £21m budget to spend on vulnerable individuals & families whose children would be likely to be PP recipients (living in hostels, risk of homelessness, drug use, offending, etc.). That budget now stands at £4m as the council have been forced to focus spending on people with statutory needs. I wouldn't argue the case that in some cases it has likely done some good, but as an example of the LDs protecting the poorest in society it doesn't even scratch the surface.

In real world politics it's inevitable that you would see one or two LD hobby horses or policy priorities appear in legislation, but any good they might have achieved through pupil premium is dwarfed by the genuine damage done to the families from whom those recipients are often likely to come through the wiping out of services and support at local level. Indeed, many Heads report that they are having to spend PP on plugging holes in shringking budgets elsewhere rather than genuine investment in troubled or simply poor children.

To give an example, Bradford Council used to have a £21m budget to spend on vulnerable individuals & families whose children would be likely to be PP recipients (living in hostels, risk of homelessness, drug use, offending, etc.). That budget now stands at £4m as the council have been forced to focus spending on people with statutory needs. I wouldn't argue the case that in some cases it has likely done some good, but as an example of the LDs protecting the poorest in society it doesn't even scratch the surface.

Can only speak from personal experience I suppose.

So what's a smaller party in a coalition to do? The budget may have been £2m if it wasn't for the LDs.

That's my view of them. We've had austerity lite, it could have been full fat, with extra cafeine.

J

I got an election leaflet through fae that Jardine woman and that utter arsehole Malcolm Bruce asking me to vote LibDem in the election.

I live in Australia.

I had already ripped it in half before realizing I should have sent it back. Without postage. With a half brick. :blush:

So what's a smaller party in a coalition to do? The budget may have been £2m if it wasn't for the LDs.

That's my view of them. We've had austerity lite, it could have been full fat, with extra cafeine.

J

They should have brought this evil government down years ago when it was clear austerity wasn't going to work. Or, even better they should never have got into bed with the evil fukers in the first place.

They should have brought this evil government down years ago when it was clear austerity wasn't going to work. Or, even better they should never have got into bed with the evil fukers in the first place.

Indeed, and they are paying the price next Thursday. There is no way they would have turned down the chance to be in Government. They took the logic that the biggest party commands the mandate. If there was an minority tory government and it collapsed, such was the hatred for Labour that a reelection might have returned a Con majority, God help us then.

J

Agreed, I think they feel into a trap (or maybe they were bullied into it, or maybe just greedy for power) of agreeing to fixed term Parliaments which effectively took away their singe biggest bargaining chip of being able to stop the Tories in their tracks.

Agreed, I think they feel into a trap (or maybe they were bullied into it, or maybe just greedy for power) of agreeing to fixed term Parliaments which effectively took away their singe biggest bargaining chip of being able to stop the Tories in their tracks.

Single Parliaments dosent stop Governments collapsing. It just means a Government can't call a snap election. A common mistake.

Lib Dems had that ace, a vote of no confidence could have been tabled at any time. Then back to the ballot box. It would have made them lack any credibility (even more so) if they did.

J

Single Parliaments dosent stop Governments collapsing. It just means a Government can't call a snap election. A common mistake.

Lib Dems had that ace, a vote of no confidence could have been tabled at any time. Then back to the ballot box. It would have made them lack any credibility (even more so) if they did.

J

I get what you're saying but disagree. I think their loss of credibility (as evidenced by their collapsing vote) comes from showing that they were powerless to really influence the Tories and unable to deliver key promises. To have been a strong partner they needed a strong threat; in the end it was clear they were poodles to get Cameron into Downing Street & kid themselves that they were in Government.

Yes it did come as a surprise, but I do have a vote in Gordon so maybe they leaflet the whole electoral roll. They must think they're in with a chance because they surely couldn't afford to do that with every expat from every constituency?

Are the libdems still here ? They remind me o the guy that had nae cash and then brought back the wrong cargo to

the party ! Fukkin useless kants .

I am, but only because my other option is Conservative.

2010 it was as follows

Lib Dem 46%

Tories 41%

Labour 7%

UKIP 3%

Others 6%

Now its polling as -

Tories 39%

Lib Dem 25%

UKIP 16%

Labour 14%

Green 6%

Others 1%

FPTP is a busted flush, the sooner it goes the better IMO.

J

J

You actually believe that. :unsure:

You actually believe that. :unsure:

In the context of my current parliamentary options (Lib Dems or a Tory Majority) absolutely.

I'm never voting Tory my only credible option in my Parliamentary seat is te LDs.

If I don't believe that I may aswell stay at home next Thursday.

J

I am, but only because my other option is Conservative.

2010 it was as follows

Lib Dem 46%

Tories 41%

Labour 7%

UKIP 3%

Others 6%

Now its polling as -

Tories 39%

Lib Dem 25%

UKIP 16%

Labour 14%

Green 6%

Others 1%

FPTP is a busted flush, the sooner it goes the better IMO.

J

Why not vote Green or Other to help make them more of an option in future elections if you don't like Con or LD?

Why not vote Green or Other to help make them more of an option in future elections if you don't like Con or LD?

I've been wrestling with voting Green, but thought there was a bit of a fight in my constituency. The polls have knocked it out of me.

Resigned to having a Tory MP.

J

In the context of my current parliamentary options (Lib Dems or a Tory Majority) absolutely.

I'm never voting Tory my only credible option in my Parliamentary seat is te LDs.

If I don't believe that I may aswell stay at home next Thursday.

J

I meant do you actually think the Lib Dems made any great difference to the cuts?

That is what I would do. I would never vote tactically I just think it is all a bit grubby.