James Mcarthur..... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mcarthur.....

Tartan Eagle

Keeping up the positivity there.

Even the best players have poor games.

Well there is keeping up the positivity or being realistic. I am realistic enough to recognize that McArthur will never be any more than a squad player for us and will only start games such as friendlies or when we have a midfield injury crisis.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

On the other side of the coin he was mediocre V Northern Ireland.

For someone who I have very low expectations of, I was pretty impressed with his performance verses N.I. I thought he was our best midfielder in the first half. IMO he's showing some improvement as a player and good performances in a Scotland top might not be too far fetched in the future.

For someone who I have very low expectations of, I was pretty impressed with his performance verses N.I. I thought he was our best midfielder in the first half. IMO he's showing some improvement as a player and good performances in a Scotland top might not be too far fetched in the future.

Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if I am proved wrong but I can't really see him being a major part of our side. Brown, Fletcher and Mulgrew are all ahead of him at present and after that you have the younger generation.

TBH I always felt Bannan and McArthur were both in contention to be the ones to replace Fletcher when it looked like he was never going to be back, yet both never took the chance to make the spot their own.

When the team for the Wales game was announced and it was McArthur and Dorrans in the middle, that actually interested me as I felt both were good enough and deserved their chance.... yet both played like they had never even met each other before.

McArthur always seems to do well at club level, and though never really had a bad performance for Scotland when starting (bar Wales) he just never shined or looked better than what we already have got starting for us.

Good points Wanderer.

McArthur isn't a silky player but has a trick or two and works incredibly hard. He's constantly looking to break things up but doesn't dive in, his first touch is good and he looks after the ball really well. He also defends in his own 6 yard box (he had two off the line v Man C and would have had a 3rd if Speroni hadn't made a brilliant save). It's been great watching him play this season - he's been a major reason why Palace have done so well since the new year.

It's harder to understand why Bannan's never made it with us or at Palace or Villa. I thought he was a class act in Dortmund last Sept but the fact he's on loan in the championship must say something about him.

Could it be an attitude problem?

I thought he was a class act in Dortmund last Sept

no offence to you or the others who have have been raving about bannan in dortmund, i was there sober/hungover and he didnt do anything to merit this mythical performance that has been conjured up by the TA, he was a 6.5 at best like most of the others. IMO

Edited by LewisEDI

no offence to you or the others who have have been raving about bannan in dortmund, i was there sober/hungover and he didnt do anything to merit this mythical performance that has been conjured up by the TA, he was a 6.5 at best like most of the others. IMO

But don't ypou find that odd then? After all you are saying he put in a performance against the World Champions on a par with the rest of our team so that alone demonstrates he is not out of place in our side. At the other end of the spectrum against Gibraltar he was only on the pitch for a quarter of the match but many here feel he was one of the positives from the match. More evidence dare I say that he is a worthy addition to our squad.

Jeez oh, the Barry Bannan revisionists are out in force again.

Firstly, he was so immense in Dortmund that he was subbed after 58 minutes.

Secondly, when he came on against Gibraltar it was 4-1 and the game was won.

Finally, It was Gibraltar FFS.

But don't ypou find that odd then? After all you are saying he put in a performance against the World Champions on a par with the rest of our team so that alone demonstrates he is not out of place in our side. At the other end of the spectrum against Gibraltar he was only on the pitch for a quarter of the match but many here feel he was one of the positives from the match. More evidence dare I say that he is a worthy addition to our squad.

I didn't say he was out of place, i rate bannan (prefer him centrally than out wide though) I just don't get this belief some people have he was amazing against germany

I didn't say he was out of place, i rate bannan (prefer him centrally than out wide though) I just don't get this belief some people have he was amazing against germany

Perhaps those people were brain-washed by people such as yourself ramming home his ordinariness that they saw him not look out of place on a pitch full of Scotland's best against World Champions and it elevated their opinion?? And as I recall it he was subbed as he had run himself into the ground at that time and Gordon wanted fresh legs plus we were a goal down and he was replaced by a striker in Steven Fletcher as we went in search of an equaliser.

Jeez oh, the Barry Bannan revisionists are out in force again.

Firstly, he was so immense in Dortmund that he was subbed after 58 minutes.

Secondly, when he came on against Gibraltar it was 4-1 and the game was won.

Finally, It was Gibraltar FFS.

Bannan should have started. It was crying out for someone more creative than Brown and Morrison in that first half.

I like Bannan but he wouldn't be in my strongest XI.

I like Bannan but he wouldn't be in my strongest XI.

Same here, he is a good addition to the squad and does what is asked of him when played. I thought he was decent in Dortmund. As for Gibraltar, the game had died a death in the 2nd half and he did provide a spark to brighten it up. It doesn't really matter if it is only Gibraltar it still needed someone to do it.

Perhaps those people were brain-washed by people such as yourself ramming home his ordinariness that they saw him not look out of place on a pitch full of Scotland's best against World Champions and it elevated their opinion?? And as I recall it he was subbed as he had run himself into the ground at that time and Gordon wanted fresh legs plus we were a goal down and he was replaced by a striker in Steven Fletcher as we went in search of an equaliser.

I think this is the first time i've been accused of brainwashing, one to add to the list. #thebannanconspiracy