Best Match Missed - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Match Missed

Tartan_Wolf

Never had to give up a game with a ticket in hand, but in a similar vein sjc, couldn't get hold of Hampden tickets for 2003 Germany or the Dutch play-off, so joined the SSC of frustration.

A real shame since my kids had suffered some ups and downs before and missed the big atmosphere of those and drifted away. It was those big qualifier floodlit nights in my early teens that caught me despite a complete lack of, well anything with a ball myself whatsoever.

From memory Germany wasn't that hard to get tickets for?

Holland was queuing overnight job. I stood at ticket Scotland for hours.

Guest flumax

Can't think in the last 15 y attending Scotland games, I can't think of I've missed a classic that your had to been there. But I've been at plenty where ive wished I hadn't

EDIT: FYRM away, when the police just matched is round the ground and wouldn't let folk with sfa tickets in.

Edited by flumax

Guest flumax

I turned up to Hampden early but wasn't overnight maybe 6ish. Enjoyed the chat that day. I was a student so no way world I have got up too early.

Had tickets for the Scotland v Faroes game at Celtic Park..... me and the Mrs had got married 3 weeks before, and this was suppose to be our first game together after getting hitched, but she had some visa issues that delayed our arrival in Scotland, and did not arrive in Scotland until the Monday after the game.

Still recall sitting in her folks house and my mobile going off every 10 seconds with "1-0"....."2-0"...."3-0"...."4-0"..... replied, "great, first home game I miss in 15 odd years, and will be a 10-0" :-))

Had tickets for the Scotland v Faroes game at Celtic Park..... me and the Mrs had got married 3 weeks before, and this was suppose to be our first game together after getting hitched, but she had some visa issues that delayed our arrival in Scotland, and did not arrive in Scotland until the Monday after the game.

Still recall sitting in her folks house and my mobile going off every 10 seconds with "1-0"....."2-0"...."3-0"...."4-0"..... replied, "great, first home game I miss in 15 odd years, and will be a 10-0" :-))

My memory of that game is going with the wife who was 8 months pregnant. She got up for the first three or four Scotland goals, but after that she was like, feck this, and just game them a wee clap.

Missed the last Italy game at Hampden. Went to all the other home games but had let my travel club membership slip so couldnt get a ticket for love or money for the best game we have had in last 20 years.

Could've sold 200,000 tickets for that one...

I was living in Germany for 2 years circa 78-80. Missed Maradonna.

Wanted to go to that one too but ended up on a Sunday school trip to Culzean. Streamers oot the bus windaes, free Kwenchy Kups and a game of fitba by the Swan Pond. Nae brainer...

From memory Germany wasn't that hard to get tickets for?

Not sure of my memory here. Was that when I'd have been getting tickets fairly easily at Safeway. If they'd run out I'd try the Hampden shop.

I'd no idea otherwise how to get a ticket. When was yon internet thingy invented?

Probably got the odd game from my dad or friends before that. I guess I've turned into a fanatic only in the last 10 years.

Holland play off at Hampden. Had been to every home.game before that for years with my dad and then there was a mass rush for tickets. Qued at Safeway/Morrisons (whatever one it was) at paisley for half an hour and just missed out then went to the one at Anniesland and waited for almost 3 hours and just missed out, so so gutted. Joined supporters club after that. Still pisses me off to this day that c*nts that never bothered for any othwr game got tickets.

The Safeway/Morrison way of distributing tickets was really good.

Our mate was the store manager for the shop in Largs, so could always get a couple of extra tickets if we needed them.

Also was good for friendlies if you had any last minute tag alongs.... One of our mates was going to a East Stirling v Morton match through in Falkirk, but got chatting to us on the train, reached Central Station and decided to go to the Scotland v Austria (?) friendly with us instead, so ran across to the Safeways on Gordon street (one that is now a co-op) to buy a ticket.

Edited by wanderer

Our mate was the store manager for the shop in Largs, so could always get a couple of extra tickets if we needed them.

Also was good for friendlies if you had any last minute tag alongs.... One of our mates was going to a East Stirling v Morton match through in Falkirk, but got chatting to us on the train, reached Central Station and decided to go to the Scotland v Austria (?) friendly with us instead, so ran across to the Safeways on Gordon street (one that is now a co-op) to buy a ticket.

Yeah agree with that. our local one was Alloa, many times i would pick up mates at 5/6 AM still bladdred from the friday. Get through and queue for a couple of hours and then tickets no problem. Back home showered and off to a match in the afternoon.

Sure France they sold in morrisons right up to THAT game then made it at certain SPL clubs only so a trip to tynecastle on a friday morning and queues all around Georgie left many fans frustrated and mouthing off at club staff about not being honest with ticket sales.

I missed the playoff win over Holland in 2003 after being at every other home match that campaign. It was my Grandparent's anniversary and we were going for a family dinner.

I missed the England play off game at Hampden through not working for GCC. So my wife said "You can go to my grandparents 40th wedding anniversary party at night instead". I went out to the pub to watch the game, at 11am (in hindsight why would she let me do that?!). She had to peel me out of the pub about 7pm, get me home, changed, poured me into the back of the car with her sister and her sisters man. I passed out. It was only about 15 mins from D Bay to Cowdenbeath, where party was, I woke up as we arrived in Cowdenbeath High St, spewed all over myself and the back of the car, got out, tried to take off my spew covered shirt in middle of street, then fight with a couple of local lads who were laughing their @sses off at the sight of this spew covered f**ktard falling out the back of a car. I was then poured back into the back of the car again, passed out again. Got home, got put in the shower and the put to bed.

Apparently the party was held waiting for me and my wife to arrive, she then arrived on her own and spent the evening answering the continual question of "Where's your hubby, we didn't start until youse arrived". I wasn't too popular the next again day. I am a bit more sensible nowadays....I just decline invitations to family events if Scotland are playing.

What a jobby.

:lol:

I seem to recall a furore for one big game (may have been Holland) when folk had queued for hours waiting on the shop opening only for the first guy in the queue to ask for 50 tickets and leave next to nothing for the rest!