Comedian 'work In Progress' Shows - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Comedian 'work In Progress' Shows

Anyone been to one?

The other half likes that ponce Michael McIntyre and I noticed he has a 2015 tour coming up. Was all set to buy her tickets to the Playhouse there when I noticed it's 3 weeks before his proper Tour starts. There are a few nights before hand (including this one) called 'Work in Progress'

A quick scout on Google seems to suggest it won't actually be a full show just a short warm up for the tour? Still feckin full price the tickets mind you.

Anyone been to something like this? Worth it or not?

p.s his actual tour is called 'Happy and Glorious' I'm sure a few of you will be tripping over yourselves to get tickets after reading that :-))

Was at The Stand a few weeks ago to see Kevin Bridges, £10 a ticket. Very funny but obviously a work in progress as he came on with a notepad and from the number of times he said he didn't know where he was going with some stories. Seen quite a few comedians at the Stand for work in progress gigs, definitely wouldn't oay full price though.

I've been to a few and have enjoyed them but can obviously be hit and miss during the course of the show as that's what the comedian wants - to find or improve the hits and drop the misses altogether.

I'd say a tenner would be too expensive however, I wouldn't pay more than 7 quid for a work in progress show.

I've seen Kevin Bridges and Frankie Boyle at the Stand and a couple of others in Edinburgh at their work in progress shows. As someone else said they'll usually come on with a notepad and pen and be taking notes as to what does and doesn't work. It won't be as fluid as the full show and will more than likely contain some material that won't make the final cut. In my experience the shows tend to be a bit shorter as well. I quite like them as it usually gives you a chance to see the act in a much smaller venue and a lot more relaxed than you normally would and it's good to see behind the scenes of the process that pull the show together. That being said, any that I have been to have been drastically cheaper than the full ticket price so if he's charging full price I'd tell him to ram it!

Incidentally, McIntyre is another that books his holidays with the company I work for and has just spent over £60K on 9 nights in the Seychelles!! Business must be good.....

At those prices I presume it's a preview night, not a try-out night?...

I'm wondering if they are warm up nights or something? His 'Work in Progress' nights run from 18th June - 18th July with the final two being at the Playhouse. Actual tour starts 7th August.

Don;t mind paying it for her, but if it is indeed half a show then £35 seems steep given everyone else is a tenner

Edited by Angus_Young

Been to see Kevin Bridges, Susan Calman, Stewart Lee and Frankie Boyle do 'work in progress' shows. I actually sometimes prefer them to the more polished performances, especially Frankie, as he spends a bit of time explaining the logic of the jokes which can sometimes be quite revealing and gives a bit of insight into his thought process.

I think with Michael McIntyre it might not be quite so interesting from that respect but at the end of the day if your missus likes him and you want to treat her, then I guess it's less than a Michael Guetta ticket, and we all know that that's the international standard for live events!!

TT

I'm wondering if they are warm up nights or something? His 'Work in Progress' nights run from 18th June - 18th July with the final two being at the Playhouse. Actual tour starts 7th August.

Don;t mind paying it for her, but if it is indeed half a show then £35 seems steep given everyone else is a tenner

I think the Edinburgh shows were added late, so are probably somewhere between Work In Progress & full show - which might explain the price difference.

I think the Edinburgh shows were added late, so are probably somewhere between Work In Progress & full show - which might explain the price difference.

Na they are all £31. Couple of online blogs are ripping him to shreds for it.

Still can't blame him. Mugs like me are making these shows sell outs so no point in moaning :)

Cheers for all the replies anyway, I've got them against my better judgement. The swine better be funny.

Sure Lee Evans does a lot of low key "work in progress" shows before his Scottish gigs because a lot of comedians like to tinker with their act a tad to make it more Scottish themed, and these "shows" are just to see what works and what doesn't.

Incidentally, McIntyre is another that books his holidays with the company I work for and has just spent over £60K on 9 nights in the Seychelles!! Business must be good.....

Are you in charge of Data Protection compliance?

:lol:

Saw Kevin Bridges doing it at The Stand, was still amazing.

Supported by Gary Little, who was also class that night.

Think I was at that show. Was that the one where he (Gary Little) was talking about walking his dog in the park? One of the funniest stand up bits I've seen.

Think I was at that show. Was that the one where he (Gary Little) was talking about walking his dog in the park? One of the funniest stand up bits I've seen.

Think so. I bought two of his camcorder-shot DVDs off the back of it, both tremendous, so I couldn't promise what I saw on the night now that it's a blur.

Other supports were a guy from The Stand doing musical comedy for the first time, and Dave Kaye who most of the audience hated and I thought was hilariously funny