Our Pathetic Rugby Team - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our Pathetic Rugby Team

Do us a favour and please pull out of the 6 nations. Same humiliation year in year out. Are we only in it for our rival fans benefit of a good weekend in Edinburgh ? We just can't compete and falling further and further behind.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until rugby is played in all schools and not just schools in areas of high wealth then Scotland can forget ever winning another championship again. An elitist sport given far too much time on the BBC.

I remember being forced to play rugby at secondary school, hated it.

Rather we focussed on football at grass roots level.

The best rugby players at my school were keen on playing the game but always put football first.

I'm rubbish at all sports but enjoyed playing rugby during PE lessons. Mind you, someone did once take the opportunity, during a scrum, to give my nuts a right good squeeze.

Never knew who did it the dirty .

From a political standpoint I dont like them ,but I respect most rugby players because is it a tough hard game that demands a certain amount of bravery.I'd rather be kicked by Broon than land at the bottom of a scrum.And giving up because at the moment everythings rubbish is just silly.

Today's games were far more entertaining than usual .

The game has changed since it became professional. I used to play at a decent level and enjoyed it - but nowadays its turned into a game of British Bulldogs with the ball up the jumper and bash in. Very little sleight of hand and exciting passing movements as the defence prevails normally. Bit of an exception today with caution thrown to the wind. Ireland pissed all over North Britain - embarrassment.

I used to go to lots of international games before the stadium was revamped - couldn't give a monkey how they get on now - especially as I view them representing North Britain and not Scotland.

For a decent game of rugby - its rugby league for me - far better to watch.

And giving up because at the moment everythings rubbish is just silly.

From the perspective of someone who watches rugby live every other week everything is anything but rubbish. Glasgow, with a large majority of Scottish players, are sitting top of the Pro 12 and have built on the success of getting to the final in Dublin last year.

Only concern for Glasgow fans is that the SRU are likely to poach Townsend at the end of the season to replace Cotter

TT

Rugby is struggling a bit in Scotland. Most clubs have fewer players and teams than they did in my day, 20-25 years ago, and the failure to expand the game at the grassroots level is worrying. In addition the lack of 'connect' for the vast majority of those in and around the club game with the two pro teams is worrying (I've lived in Edinburgh for over 30 years but don't have anything like as much feeling for the Edinburgh side as I still do for the clubs I played for) and reflected in pretty poor crowds watching them week in week out. That said I have been encouraged watching Scotland U20s this year (I was at Netherdale last night), I've been to countless games at various age group levels watching both of my nephews playing for Scotland teams that were totally out-played, so the U20s have been a pleasant change this year.

Today was a national embarrassment.

We have very few outlets as Scotland on the world stage, and rugby is one of them. I can handle losing, but we should do so with at least some pride and a bit of dignity.

Today was utterly gutless.

Guest allyc

Read somewhere the amount of people involved in rugby in England at some level on a weekly basis is over 2 million.in Scotland it's around 20,000.is no wonder we can't compete.don't have figures for Wales or Ireland but it'll be a lot more than us per head of population.look at the average attendances for league games in Scotland.also we only have 2 professional teams.

Read somewhere the amount of people involved in rugby in England at some level on a weekly basis is over 2 million.in Scotland it's around 20,000.is no wonder we can't compete.don't have figures for Wales or Ireland but it'll be a lot more than us per head of population.look at the average attendances for league games in Scotland.also we only have 2 professional teams.

Hence the reason we can't compete at the level of the 6 nations. Time to pull out

Do us a favour and please pull out of the 6 nations. Same humiliation year in year out. Are we only in it for our rival fans benefit of a good weekend in Edinburgh ? We just can't compete and falling further and further behind.

Better stop playing football as well then.

Until rugby is played in all schools and not just schools in areas of high wealth then Scotland can forget ever winning another championship again. An elitist sport given far too much time on the BBC.

Except its not even remotely elitist in Wales, England and Ireland.

I remember being forced to play rugby at secondary school, hated it.

Rather we focussed on football at grass roots level.

Yes commissar. Is it not up to people to play what they want?

The best rugby players at my school were keen on playing the game but always put football first.

I'm rubbish at all sports but enjoyed playing rugby during PE lessons. Mind you, someone did once take the opportunity, during a scrum, to give my nuts a right good squeeze.

Never knew who did it the dirty .

Ironically, you are now sharing a thread with Tartan Teddy all these years later.

Only played by farmers and public schoolies. Can't stomach them singing FOS either.

That added a lot and is not quite true. Try Irnbruman, doesn't strike me as a farmer or a public school type.

From a political standpoint I dont like them ,but I respect most rugby players because is it a tough hard game that demands a certain amount of bravery.I'd rather be kicked by Broon than land at the bottom of a scrum.And giving up because at the moment everythings rubbish is just silly.

Are we that rubbish? Seem to remember leading the world champions elect the other week. A couple of steps forward and I reckon we could make quite an impact.

Today's games were far more entertaining than usual .

The game has changed since it became professional. I used to play at a decent level and enjoyed it - but nowadays its turned into a game of British Bulldogs with the ball up the jumper and bash in. Very little sleight of hand and exciting passing movements as the defence prevails normally. Bit of an exception today with caution thrown to the wind. Ireland pissed all over North Britain - embarrassment.

I used to go to lots of international games before the stadium was revamped - couldn't give a monkey how they get on now - especially as I view them representing North Britain and not Scotland.

For a decent game of rugby - its rugby league for me - far better to watch.

Clearly care enough to watch and make comment.

From the perspective of someone who watches rugby live every other week everything is anything but rubbish. Glasgow, with a large majority of Scottish players, are sitting top of the Pro 12 and have built on the success of getting to the final in Dublin last year.

Only concern for Glasgow fans is that the SRU are likely to poach Townsend at the end of the season to replace Cotter

TT

Away with your sensible pish.

No voting Bunny Rabbits.

Better explain to Tartan Teddy that he is a no voter.

It is a minority sport in a small country. As other counties take it up and with the questionable national qualification rules we will go backwards.

Today was a national embarrassment.

We have very few outlets as Scotland on the world stage, and rugby is one of them. I can handle losing, but we should do so with at least some pride and a bit of dignity.

Today was utterly gutless.

Where I started, have you seen some of our football performances? We were playing against a good team that had to take risks and score points. The outcome wasn't that surprising.

Still it stopped England winning the championship. ;-)

I do care - I like sport and having played rugby at a decent level - Division 4 in the old days and Glasgow schools - I just hanker for the old game where backs and forwards were different and there were some exciting handling movements. As I said before - the game has changed completely into British bulldogs. I wouldn't have played rugby as it is now - much as I loved tackling.

Rugby league has changed the other way - in the ddays of Eddie Waring it also was British bulldogs style. Watch a super league game now and alsmost without exception its a fantastic game.

Problem I have with rugby union internationals is that due to the hype I sit down to watch it - but apart from todays games (which had added interest due to the points required) then I just become bored with it.

Edited by irnbruman

Losing 5 out of 5 is pretty bad to say the least and we were well outplayed today but we could easily have won any of the first three matches and played well at times at Twickenham. When we had a winning team at times in late 20th century we always had a lot of players from Borders clubs. Realise sport is now professional but are there still good players from Borders in our team? As with football, need to get more people playing sport at an early age whether at school or at clubs.

A question, when people mention elitism and rugby/tennis etc and say "public" schools why don`t they say "private/fee-paying/independent"? I thought "public" schools in Scotland meant what English call "state" schools. Certainly was the case until quite recently. Another case of Anglicisation.

Losing 5 out of 5 is pretty bad to say the least and we were well outplayed today but we could easily have won any of the first three matches and played well at times at Twickenham. When we had a winning team at times in late 20th century we always had a lot of players from Borders clubs. Realise sport is now professional but are there still good players from Borders in our team? As with football, need to get more people playing sport at an early age whether at school or at clubs.

A question, when people mention elitism and rugby/tennis etc and say "public" schools why don`t they say "private/fee-paying/independent"? I thought "public" schools in Scotland meant what English call "state" schools. Certainly was the case until quite recently. Another case of Anglicisation.

Agree with most of this. First three games could easily resulted in one or two wins. Indiscipline and injuries cost us in those games and by Knockon the last two. As usual in Scotland it is either all sugar or all sh1te!

Better stop playing football as well then.

Outside of Italy when was the last win we have had in the 6 nations ? Its a horror show. At least our football team are winning more than losing

Edited by Doric