Scotland Players In Action - Page 48 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not disagreeing with you.

But comments from other users saying they could get a game and score !!

I think honestly 3 or 4 will be good mate

Youve no seen me play, i score at least 7 every time i play 5s.

Ireland beat them 7-0 at home, I see no reason why we can't do the same.

I can see a couple of reasons based on our form this campaign. For all our good play, we've lacked a cutting edge up front. When Ireland were putting 7 past Gibraltar we were making very heavy weather of breaking down a pretty desperate looking Georgia side.

Fletcher and Naismith are yet to "click". While Naismith found the net in Warsaw, Fletcher is still sitting on a duck (not literally). A pretty poor return from our front 2.

The 7-0 win; Robbie Keane had a hat-trick after 18 minutes - we don't have a talismanic striker to open the floodgates for us.

I hope I'm wrong (the big pitch at Hampden might prove useful) and our strikers bag a couple of early goals to put us on easy street, but that would require a change in form in front of goal.

I hear the points about us not scoring huge amounts vs Gibraltar.

What I would say, is that barring one very bad miss from Chris Martin, we have been extremely clinical this campaign.

We should have 20+ scoring chances vs. Gibraltar, now we are not going to get double figures, but I could easily see 5 or 6.

A game like that is ideally suited to a chance taker like Jordan Rhodes.

What I would say, is that barring one very bad miss from Chris Martin, we have been extremely clinical this campaign.

We should have 20+ scoring chances vs. Gibraltar, now we are not going to get double figures, but I could easily see 5 or 6.

Rhodes should start v them

no reason why he shouldnt

Play a 442 or 433 with guys like gms and Maloney, keeping the ball wide on the big Hampden pitch and their should be around 5 or 6 goals in it for us (yes even for us) I'm tempted to to think, having not seen the game, that Spain stuck to their barca principles against them of keeping the ball for as long as possible and not going hell for leather at every opportunity.

Strachan will start one of Fletcher and Martin against Gibraltar.

Any other strikers will come in as the game goes on (suspect his 4 strikers will be May, Fletcher, Martin and Russell.... With Rhodes still out in the cold).

May had scored a third of the goals Rhodes has this season! Mental he is even being considered

We didn't create enough chances against Georgia to be able to tell if we're clinical or not.

Naismith missed a couple of chances before Anya scored in Dortmund.

Fletcher missed a great chance against Ireland in the first half cause he's only got one foot.

Final third (creating and taking chances) is still a work in progress for me. I don't doubt we'll dominate possession against Gibraltar - I just hope we're able to do something with it early on.

But you are dismissing martin who is the main goal scorer for at team at the top end of that division in favour of a player who isn't the top scorer of a mid table team in that division.

No - I am saying IF the reason we include Chris Martin is the goals in the championship that's EXACTLY WHY we can't include Stevie May ahead of Jordan Rhodes

C. Martin out with a hamstring injury.

Talking about martin could it be that he scores more and looks better because derby play to his strengths where as Scotland play a different system and there for makes him look worse than he is or he struggles to fit into the Scotland systen. Kind of playing devils advocate here and flinging in a possible reason

No - I am saying IF the reason we include Chris Martin is the goals in the championship that's EXACTLY WHY we can't include Stevie May ahead of Jordan Rhodes

The reason martin and may are in ahead of Rhodes is because strachan believes the fit into his system better.

All this talk about getting Rhodes in to play against a diddy team' which is likely to be like a British style football game but current championship form suggests martin would fare better than Rhodes.

It seems the longer Rhodes doesn't play for Scotland the better player he apparently is

But you are dismissing martin who is the main goal scorer for at team at the top end of that division in favour of a player who isn't the top scorer of a mid table team in that division.

I'm dismissing Martin because he's looked brutal when he's come on during the qualifiers and hasn't carried his scoring form from club into international football.

I hope am wrong and he starts to deliver whatever Strachan sees in him, or he might be a bit like Griffiths and Strachan gives him another chance or two when he's fit and then moves on to someone else.

Jimmy Morrison scores! Hope he comes into some form, he looked a bit off the pace earlier this season but on fo he's a brilliant player.

Was he not out for the whole summer with a knee injury, with the Germany game the first ball he kicked this season?