Scotland Players In Action - Page 65 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

I must have higher expectations than you do.

Be honest, we have some good players, we have some decent players and we have some okay players.

WGS is doing a good job with the players that he has at his disposal and there are good reasons to be hopeful for the future but we don't have any top class players, if we did then we would be doing better than we are.

I don't think your expectations are higher. I just think the EPL is a top class league. If players do well in a top class league, does that not make them top class players?

If it keeps you and <p>arklife happy, we can call the categories: good players, top class players, and world class players.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think your expectations are higher. I just think the EPL is a top class league. If players do well in a top class league, does that not make them top class players?

If it keeps you and <p>arklife happy, we can call the categories: good players, top class players, and world class players.

The EPL may be a top class league, some may disagree but they would be wrong.

However that doesn't mean that by definition all teams in the league are top class or that all the players in the league are top class.

I watch Chelsea and I would say that looking at the 24 man first team squad, I would say that around 15-16 players would meet my earlier definition of top class. Now there's a few young players in there who should get better and a couple who I don't think are good enough to play for Chelsea.

Of those I would only class four as World Class, Courtois, Fabregas, Hazard & Costa with Ivanovic and Matic not that far off that. I'd use a definition of World Class as something like the 100 best players in the World at moment.

The EPL may be a top class league, some may disagree but they would be wrong.

However that doesn't mean that by definition all teams in the league are top class or that all the players in the league are top class.

I watch Chelsea and I would say that looking at the 24 man first team squad, I would say that around 15-16 players would meet my earlier definition of top class. Now there's a few young players in there who should get better and a couple who I don't think are good enough to play for Chelsea.

Of those I would only class four as World Class, Courtois, Fabregas, Hazard & Costa with Ivanovic and Matic not that far off that. I'd use a definition of World Class as something like the 100 best players in the World at moment.

So only 6 of the top 100 players in the world play in EPL.? Come on. It's maybe not everyone's cup of tea but there aren't many better leagues. The only plausible better leagues are in Spain and Germany and there can't be much between them.

So only 6 of the top 100 players in the world play in EPL.? Come on. It's maybe not everyone's cup of tea but there aren't many better leagues. The only plausible better leagues are in Spain and Germany and there can't be much between them.

No, 6 of them play for Chelsea.

You can no longer walk into this Scotland squad, competition for places if fierce. Happy days and what a difference to previous groups of players who were guaranteed a start even though they were not playing regular for their club sides. I can recall Goodwullie ( levienes poster boy from his days at tannadice) playing against Spain and he couldn't get a game for Blackburn Rovers at the time. :banghead::banghead:

Edited by Robroysboy

You can no longer walk into this Scotland squad, competition for places if fierce. Happy days and what a difference to previous groups of players who were guaranteed a start even though they were not playing regular for their club sides. I can recall Goodwullie ( levienes poster boy from his days at tannadice) playing against Spain and he couldn't get a game for Blackburn Rovers at the time. :banghead::banghead:

Didn't Goodwillie take a shot at goal during that match which went well off target, when he could have set up Mackail-Smith for a tap in ?

Memory is a bit hazy. Trying to forget Levein's reign of terror as much as I can !

Didn't Goodwillie take a shot at goal during that match which went well off target, when he could have set up Mackail-Smith for a tap in ?

Memory is a bit hazy. Trying to forget Levein's reign of terror as much as I can !

Can't recall exactly but you could be right, I am also trying to black out those games.

Goodwillie did score a penalty in Alicante, in a 3-1 defeat, but he was picked out of favouritism rather than merit ( club form),

Edited by Robroysboy

Goodwillie did score a penalty in Alicante, in a 3-1 defeat, but he was picked out of favouritism rather than merit ( club form),

Did he not come off the bench that night? Also didn't we only have 2 strikers to pick from due to miller failing a fitness test, Fletcher in exile and really scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything else......

Did he not come off the bench that night? Also didn't we only have 2 strikers to pick from due to miller failing a fitness test, Fletcher in exile and really scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything else......

Leviene alienated Flectcher, but begged Barry Ferguson to come back and play for Scotland. A truly embaressing episode. Thank goodness we now have strachan.

Leviene alienated Flectcher, but begged Barry Ferguson to come back and play for Scotland. A truly embaressing episode. Thank goodness we now have strachan.

The whole Fletcher thing was a total disgrace.

Always laughed at that Levein's pathetic excuse about not being able to contact the Fletcher. All they simply had to do was send an e-mail, a letter or make a phone call to Wolves or the PFA (whose contact details are feely available on the internet and numerous publications) and they could have arranged it ! It really wasn't hard at all.

Add to that, begged (then England Under 21s) Andy Carroll and Josh McEachran to play for us when they both clearly had no interest whatsoever in playing for Scotland. Same goes for his pathetic pursuit of Ryan McGowan and Chris Herd who only wanted to play for Australia.

Finally, bringing Ian Black on as a sub against Australia purely as a GIRUY to the media and us, the fans, who rightly pointed out he was never good enough for Scotland. At least that was just Black's one and only cap.

Finally, bringing Ian Black on as a sub against Australia purely as a GIRUY to the media and us, the fans, who rightly pointed out he was never good enough for Scotland. At least that was just Black's one and only cap.

The most pathetic thing that night was Scotland fans booing a guy as he came on to make his debut.