Scottish Cup Quarters - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Quarters

He would never have been retrospectively banned for this. Ref seen it and 'dealt' with it at the time. what I mean is, even if he looks at that after the game and thinks he should have taken action, he can't.

The others have been cited as the ref, presumably, didn't see them

How did he deal with the tackle at the time? In the same way he dealt with ciftci at the time?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think VD's will be upheld as well. Pleased that Butcher and Connolly haven't been cited. Ciftci just needs to suck it up and stop being a fud.

Would like to see Delia and Brown brought to book for bringing the game into disrepute with their post-match interviews. I can dream, can't I?

I think the SFA are making a rod for their own backs with this fudged outcome.

If the reason for no further citings is that it was seen and dealt with at the time then why are players who dive cited as surely the award of a foul or penalty means the incident was (incorrectly) dealt with at the time.

Can of worms.

Its a right bugger when clubs try to get other team's players into bother eh?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/st-mirren-criticise-dundee-united-s-tactics-in-highlighting-jim-goodwin-incident-1.170881

Edited by AberdeenAngus

How did he deal with the tackle at the time? In the same way he dealt with ciftci at the time?

Because unless he was looking the other way he would have seen Brown's tackle.............if he doesn't book him or send him off there and then, nothing can be done afterwards.

Ciftci, he obviously didn't see him kick out otherwise he would have sent him off. (he sent off VVD for less after all)

It's a grey area I know, but that's the rule as I understand it m8.

If the reason for no further citings is that it was seen and dealt with at the time then why are players who dive cited as surely the award of a foul or penalty means the incident was (incorrectly) dealt with at the time.

Can of worms.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/st-mirren-criticise-dundee-united-s-tactics-in-highlighting-jim-goodwin-incident-1.170881

It's more to do with whether reviewing the replays the referee believes he would had made a different decision had he that view at the time. In this case Thomson obviously doesn't see anything different in the tackle by Brown - and he had a pretty good view of that. Looked like a booking to me though.

It's more to do with whether reviewing the replays the referee believes he would had made a different decision had he that view at the time. In this case Thomson obviously doesn't see anything different in the tackle by Brown - and he had a pretty good view of that. Looked like a booking to me though.

I could agree with that but how can Butcher be deemed to have been dealt with?

Surely Paton won't end up carrying the can so to speak?

VVD will now be overturned then surely?

I wouldn't assume or bet on anything in this case - what has happened up to now is not how most folk would expect it to.

From a neutral point of view I thought Paton overturned, Butcher and Ciftci offered bans and Van Dijk's card to stand. That would have made sense.

I think the Brown and Connelly cases are more difficult to deal with retrospectively as the referee appeared to have a clear view of both.

Has there ever been an occasion where a tackle that was not carded gets looked at and a yellow issued?

It happens with a red but for a yellow?

Let's face it that's all it was worthy of if that....

Na I don't think that has ever happened. The flip side is that a yellow card can't be rescinded either.....even if it leads to a ban through the totting up process.

As for yer last sentence, a yellow is the least he should have received. This thread we have been talking about the laws of the game in terms of the handball. Since we are on the subject, hav a look at Serious Foul Play. Brown's tackle falls into that category IMO.

I personally think the VVD red was soft but it will be upheld due to the wee kick out he had when on the deck.

Na I don't think that has ever happened. The flip side is that a yellow card can't be rescinded either.....even if it leads to a ban through the totting up process.

As for yer last sentence, a yellow is the least he should have received. This thread we have been talking about the laws of the game in terms of the handball. Since we are on the subject, hav a look at Serious Foul Play. Brown's tackle falls into that category IMO.

I personally think the VVD red was soft but it will be upheld due to the wee kick out he had when on the deck.

That's your opinion but mine, and the Ref's is that there was nothing wrong with it. What I would say is that I have seen tackles like that yellowed, why the game has gone so soft over the last 20 years is an argument for another time but that is the sort of tackle that should be ten a plenty in the game.It was a man's sport that is slowly turning into a pussy's sport not just tackling wise but look at the amount of rolling around and diving that is in our game and seems to be encouraged.

Sad times.

That's your opinion but mine, and the Ref's is that there was nothing wrong with it. What I would say is that I have seen tackles like that yellowed, why the game has gone so soft over the last 20 years is an argument for another time but that is the sort of tackle that should be ten a plenty in the game.It was a man's sport that is slowly turning into a pussy's sport not just tackling wise but look at the amount of rolling around and diving that is in our game and seems to be encouraged.

Sad times.

Ha Well I think we can definitely agree on that. Don't get me wrong m8 I like a hard tackle, I just felt he was going into that one out of control and looking to do the boy damage. That's why I think it's worthy of a sending off.

You say you've seen folk booked for it. I think you would have to admit you've seen folk sent off for similar too? Although obviously your argument will be 'they shouldn't have been sent off either' :D

Craig Thomson should be the one cited, because, like Willie Collum, he gets too many decisions spectacularly wrong far too often and is allowed to get away with it without sanction.

Which is unacceptable in my view.

I agree 110% but that will, as we know, never happen.

Ha Well I think we can definitely agree on that. Don't get me wrong m8 I like a hard tackle, I just felt he was going into that one out of control and looking to do the boy damage. That's why I think it's worthy of a sending off.

You say you've seen folk booked for it. I think you would have to admit you've seen folk sent off for similar too? Although obviously your argument will be 'they shouldn't have been sent off either' :D

Correct. :P;)

Can of worms.

Good point.

Can of worms.

Speaking of which old Jim Goodwin must wish he played for Celtic. He would get away with murder.