Guidetti - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends if you think being called a Rangers fan is an insult.

I don't think that was the conversation. It's more the use of pejorative terms.

Just because you say "no offence like" doesn't stop you being offensive.

Pretty simple really.

It's a non sectarian term for a rangers fan

Offensive sectarian language is still used in Scotland on a daily basis, with abusive terms such as “Hun” and “Orange bаstаrd” being used negatively against Protestants (or those perceived to be) and others such as “Feniаn” and “Tim” used negatively against Catholics (or those perceived to be). This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as fuelling the divisions and conflict between the denominations and poeple of no religious denomination. Children commonly use words without any knowledge of their meaning, but with an understanding that these words are a means by which to insult others.

http://nilbymouth.org/resources/history/

Wow the mods have taken hun off the swear filter... hat doffed.

Offensive sectarian language is still used in Scotland on a daily basis, with abusive terms such as “Hun” and “Orange bаstаrd” being used negatively against Protestants (or those perceived to be) and others such as “Feniаn” and “Tim” used negatively against Catholics (or those perceived to be). This reinforces religious and racial stereotypes as well as fuelling the divisions and conflict between the denominations and poeple of no religious denomination. Children commonly use words without any knowledge of their meaning, but with an understanding that these words are a means by which to insult others.

The problem with the above is the whiners on here who claim hun is sectarian like to use the Tim word. But but but there is that shop in Glasgow blah blah...

My dad is proddy. So are half my family.

I don't call them huns. They are killie fans.

Not for one minute is Hun a bigoted term. It's a nickname for Rangers fans that seems to annoy the poor wee lambs.

100% this.

When did the huns have a meeting to decide to campaign to make the word hun sectarian?

I don't believe anyone using the term hun has ever used it in order to be offensive to someone because they were protestant

Is the origin of Tim not from the question "Are you a Billy or a Tim?", being slang for protestant or catholic? If so then Tim is a bit dodgy and it is not the equivalent of Hun it is the equivalent of Billy.

And logically if you were to call huns Billy's that would not sound too clever neither and maybe cross a line as well.

But hun? There is all wrong with it and huns are called huns up and down Scotland across every support including those with zero trace of sectarianism. It is just an unflattering nickname for rangers fan.

Yeah, dunno what happened to the "no-one likes us, we don't care" attitude.

Some of them seem to have become pretty sensitive lambs since they had to take a dose of humility and start off again in the bottom league

• 2 weeks later...

I've been called a hun, a proddy and an orange khunt....all going into and coming out of Parkhead.

:blink::blink:

It didnae really offend me.....they must have mistaken me for Tartan Teddy.

Edited by Rossy

I've been called a hun, a proddy and an orange khunt....all going into and coming out of Parkhead.

:blink::blink:

It didnae really offend me.....they must have mistaken me for Tartan Teddy.

Me too - Proddy orange this that and the other one week from Celtic fans then Fenian this that and the other the following week from Rangers fans.

It originated from an English newspaper article after they wrecked some town centre (Wolverhampton possibly). The article described them as marauding huns crossing the border.

Feck all to do with religion and the huns know that.

Another embarrassing episode for them and their "no one likes us we don't care" claim.

Thick hun c*nts that they are.

Lorenzo Amorouso - Italian Catholic. He was a hun.

Danny Mxgrain - Scottish prodestant. He wasn't a hun.

That's how I see the term hun.

Well I'm sure the compliance officer will apply the "squirrelhumper subjective test" when he prosecutes Guidetti.

Daft thing for Guidetti to sing - obviously Celtic will defend it, but given their previous for defending pretty much everything that doesn't really shed any light on their prospects. Difficult for SFA to ignore this given the views of the likes of NBM on the word.

I think the word is used differently by different supporters which is evident in this thread.