Songs You Never Knew Were Cover Versions - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Songs You Never Knew Were Cover Versions

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did - I was thrown by the Monkees so looked it up.

Aye, seems the Monkees released a version on some 1980s' reunion album (without Nesmith, I presume).

I didn't know the Proclaimers had covered it (it does have a proto-Proclaimers ring to it, now that I think about it - they pretty much based their whole career on it). The original stomper:

Edited by DonnyTJS

I didn't know the Proclaimers had covered it (it does have a proto-Proclaimers ring to it, now that I think about it - they pretty much based their whole career on it). The original stomper:

King of the Road I always thought was a Proclaimers original also.

Slightly odd ones in that I think I always knew Gram Parsons had written 'Wild Horses' and that Jonathan Richman had written 'Pablo Picasso', but the Stones and John Cale released their versions before the writers released theirs - if this were science, the writers would be the cover artists due to publication precedent.

A later version of 'Pablo Picasso':

Edited by DonnyTJS

I missed out on one at a pub quiz last week. I recognised the riff from Suzy Q but it wasn't the CCR version which I had always assumed was the original. Turns out that was from the 50s by Dale Hawkins. Never heard of him.

Good piece of punk rock memorabilia! Still going strong the exploited! Great band! Can you mind who the bass player was?

Peggie, who served for a year or something in the early 2000s. He toured South America with them and then they went north but were refused entry into Canada. When they didn't turn up there was a riot.

• 1 year later...