Council Tax Freeze - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That suggests that you weren't/aren't against the principle of the Council tax freeze, but it's just a negotiation about how long it should last.

I'd have said there were better ways in increase efficiencies before a council tax freeze but i wouldn't have been against it as a last resort.

I'd say it's far out stayed it's welcome and is now simply a populist policy being used to try and win votes, rather than positively influence council spending.

We get our landfill waste emptied every 3 weeks, most of the time my bin is only about 25% full. I appreciate that i live alone and families will produce more but the amount of waste some folk produce is a disgrace. I've no idea how folk can fill huge bins with landfill waste on a weekly basis.

The council tax freeze is probably the SNP policy i disagree with the most. It impacts negatively on our local services, which every single one of us relies upon. I think initially it may have served a purpose in increasing efficiencies within local authorities but we're now at a stage where there's not much left to squeeze. Ordinary workers are having to endure year on year pay cuts (wage raises below inflation) and the people who rely on the services the most, the poorest, are being hit the hardest.

I agree with you about inefficiencies and perhaps not much left to squeeze etc.We have fortnightly collections which is ok.Apart from grass cutting and library opening hours,i see no difference where i live.Plant seeds in the grassy areas for wild meadows to attract more bumble bees and 2 problems solved.Remember not only are all ordinary workers having to endure cuts the ones who have to work in the private sector also have to endure zero hours contracts ,working more unpaid hours for nothing,and being at the whim and call of autocratic bosses .This is the reality for most workers in Scotland.I fail to see how an increase in council tax will help these ordinary workers too.

If the poor are suffering ,divert the other costs i mentioned above now.End of problem

I've got to be honest, this is something I would disagree with. I'd probably be happy to up Council Tax for things like a return to weekly refuse collections, but certainly wouldn't support tax rises across the board.

If you need your bins emptied every week you are producing too much waste - sort yoursels out.

why should I keep a bloated system afloat with higher taxes because if the CT goes up the first thing councils will do is look after themselves and their gilt edged pension.

It'd be interesting to see how much of the council tax share goes on paying off pensions. That must be increasing annually along with life expectancy.

At my wife's work (GCC) there have been a number of people retiring recently in their early 50s on gold plated pensions. Nice if you can get a deal like that but it has to be placing a huge strain on funds...

"I can't understand the mindset that thinks 'why do they get that?' rather than 'why don't I get that?'."

I assume Scotland.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/political-news/pensions-black-hole-to-double-to-16bn-by-2018-x.20649059

And I assume UK wide.

http://www.economicpolicycentre.com/2010/04/19/government-pension-liabilities-understated-by-1trillion/

Did I mention that Scottish local authorities are rumoured to have something like £1 billion squirreled away in investments?

I would say as a family of 4, we half fill our small purple bin (glass), overfill our green bin (general waste) by 50% & overfill our blue bin (cardboard/plastic recycling) by 50% each fortnight. If you add in Christmas/Birthdays etc then that can easily increase by another 50%.

I just find it an annoyance to have to go to the dump each week when I'm already paying for the refuse to be collected.

Ok, there are only 2 of us, but we could go 6 to 8 weeks for the general waste bin, easy. What do you put in "general waste"? As a society we should be getting to stage where almost nothing goes into general waste and everything goes into recycling bins.

Mind you, what happens to it after it goes in recycling bins is a different discussion altogether.

"Am I the only one who thinks the levels of council tax are far too high As for business rates they are another outrageous rip off. How much do the leaders of the major councils get paid?"

Nope.

Councils are also adapt at putting up prices on things like burials etc. to garner more money even though they get over £80 million a year from the SG for the CT freeze.

Strange how no one has mentioned the fact that it was the Labour party who started the CT freeze and the Lab/Tory coalition at Stirling council actually put the CT down after the last Holyrood elections.

If they can do it why can't others?

I wouldn't mind working street lights

You mean like the guys who operate the stop/go boards at traffic lights? It's a right cushy number but a profession which is very difficult to break your way into. Lollipop man might suit you though?

Ok, there are only 2 of us, but we could go 6 to 8 weeks for the general waste bin, easy. What do you put in "general waste"? As a society we should be getting to stage where almost nothing goes into general waste and everything goes into recycling bins.

Nappies, food waste, general kitchen waste, cat litter & then recycling when the blue bin is full.

Mind you, what happens to it after it goes in recycling bins is a different discussion altogether.

True, and the answer generally is onto the general waste pile.

You mean like the guys who operate the stop/go boards at traffic lights? It's a right cushy number but a profession which is very difficult to break your way into. Lollipop man might suit you though?

Teacher: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Oor Wullie: A lollipop man?

Teacher: Why do you want to be a lollipop man?

Oor Wullie: Because you don't start work till you're 65.

(From an Oor Wullie annual - 50s / 60s vintage).

Teacher: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Oor Wullie: A lollipop man?

Teacher: Why do you want to be a lollipop man?

Oor Wullie: Because you don't start work till you're 65.

(From an Oor Wullie annual - 50s / 60s vintage).

ahhhhhhhh Oor No Voting Wee Khunt Wullie... what a national treasure. (If by nation you mean region and treasure you mean bawbag.)

We get our landfill waste emptied every 3 weeks, most of the time my bin is only about 25% full. I appreciate that i live alone and families will produce more but the amount of waste some folk produce is a disgrace. I've no idea how folk can fill huge bins with landfill waste on a weekly basis.

The council tax freeze is probably the SNP policy i disagree with the most. It impacts negatively on our local services, which every single one of us relies upon. I think initially it may have served a purpose in increasing efficiencies within local authorities but we're now at a stage where there's not much left to squeeze. Ordinary workers are having to endure year on year pay cuts (wage raises below inflation) and the people who rely on the services the most, the poorest, are being hit the hardest.

We are going to have to stop agreeing like this! :worried:

It'd be interesting to see how much of the council tax share goes on paying off pensions. That must be increasing annually along with life expectancy.

At my wife's work (GCC) there have been a number of people retiring recently in their early 50s on gold plated pensions. Nice if you can get a deal like that but it has to be placing a huge strain on funds...

None I would imagine. There is a pension fund that does that :unsure:

"None I would imagine. There is a pension fund that does that :unsure:"

A pension fund that is being constantly fed tax payers money. A pension fund that will hit the buffers sooner rather than later and guess who they will want to keep it going? Yes us the tax payer.
Greece had a similar Ponzi scheme and guess what happened to them.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/political-news/pensions-black-hole-to-double-to-16bn-by-2018-x.20649059

"None I would imagine. There is a pension fund that does that :unsure:"

A pension fund that is being constantly fed tax payers money.

Wow! Sorry you think I am such a sponger. Maybe we shouldn't be paid either.

"Wow! Sorry you think I am such a sponger. Maybe we shouldn't be paid either."

Only stating the facts.

I just got paid off from offshore I'm sure public sector employees will be happy to put their hands in their pockets to keep my wages going and help with my pension too.