Short Break In Scotland Advice - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Short Break In Scotland Advice

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arran

:ok: Ticks all the boxes (Scotland in miniature cliche...). Disgrace what the council allowed to happen in Kildonan though; pretty much ruined the place with unsympathetic developments.

After that Inveraray, Kyle of Lochalsh or D&G.

All the best places are in the west :D.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Arran

Arran's a good shout.

Its own produce is quality - the cheese, meat and fish in particular but its also got its own distillery and brewery.

Neolithic standing stones, Goat Fell and Tibetan retreats!

Not many pubs outside Brodick mind you.

Tobermory would be a good shout if you went to the smaller islands off Mull on day trips like Iona and Staffa.

Edited by Goozay

Arran's a good shout.

Its own produce is quality - the cheese, meat and fish in particular but its also got its own distillery and brewery.

Neolithic standing stones, Goat Fell and Tibetan retreats!

Not many pubs outside Brodick mind you.

Tobermory would be a good shout if you went to the smaller islands off Mull on day trips like Iona and Staffa.

Not many in Brodick, and they're pish. I vowed never to return to Mac's Bar. The main boozer in Lamlash is the best (at least it used to be...).

Following the ruination of Kildonan I'd now stay in Lamlash or Whiting Bay - there's a cracking inland walk (using forestry tracks) from Whiting Bay to Lagg.

Not many in Brodick, and they're pish. I vowed never to return to Mac's Bar. The main boozer in Lamlash is the best (at least it used to be...).

Following the ruination of Kildonan I'd now stay in Lamlash or Whiting Bay - there's a cracking inland walk (using forestry tracks) from Whiting Bay to Lagg.

Macks is shut.

I usually head round to Lamlash. We play Lamlash every May. First ferry, round then lunch and beers in the clubhouse then head down to sit outside Drift Inn. They've got a decent selection of beers now. St Mungo on draft for starters.

Been brilliant weather last 5 years so due a shiter!

Macks is shut.

I usually head round to Lamlash. We play Lamlash every May. First ferry, round then lunch and beers in the clubhouse then head down to sit outside Drift Inn. They've got a decent selection of beers now. St Mungo on draft for starters.

Deservedly so if my last visit was anything to go by - zero customer care.

The Drift Inn was the one I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the name!

Macks is shut.

Is there still a pub in Whiting Bay? Spent a cracking week as a teenager at the Youth Hostel there. The disco on the Friday night was jumping and when word got round we were from Edinburgh, the local neds all wanted a fight..

Is there still a pub in Whiting Bay? Spent a cracking week as a teenager at the Youth Hostel there. The disco on the Friday night was jumping and when word got round we were from Edinburgh, the local neds all wanted a fight..

Nah. No pubs in Whiting Bay. Golf club/Bowling Club and that's it.

Couple in Lamlash, couple in Brodick etc.

Deservedly so if my last visit was anything to go by - zero customer care.

The Drift Inn was the one I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the name!

Yip. Usually inhabited by wanks just off boat too if weather's nice.

I much prefer Lamlash. Fiddlers, The Douglas Hotel and the wee boozer at foot of Goatfell are only three boozers in Brodick I think.

Yip. Usually inhabited by wanks just off boat too if weather's nice.

I much prefer Lamlash. Fiddlers, The Douglas Hotel and the wee boozer at foot of Goatfell are only three boozers in Brodick I think.

The Wineport??? I used to work for their other bar The Brodick Bar. Boss wasnt the best guy in the world.

Aviemore. Loads to do during the day whether it be walking, climbing or something more adventurous like zip-lining or the many other sports around the area. At least half a dozen bars, music every night in The Cairngorm Hotel which is also a great spot to stay with fantastic food. Just a 45 minute drive to Inverness and likewise to distilleries such as Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet & Glenfiddich. Sunday lunch on the Steam train to Boat of Garten is a nice relaxing way to top off a great weekend. You's would have a blast!!! Oh & you might bump into Spud the Piper....... or me singing in the Cairngorm ;)

Aviemore is a good call

Or coylumbridge

Hilton there is decent

From your list Skye is a must and there's actually a 3 night deal going at the Skeabost Country House hotel near Portree that I can highly recommend. I did this deal last year and it was a fecking bargain.

https://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/1363206-isle-of-skye-country-house-hotel?afsrc=1&city_id=69-glasgow&city_name=Glasgow&cvosrc=email.blast.digest_escapesukie&msdc_id=69-glasgow&utm_campaign=digest_escapesukie&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast#

Couldn't agree more. Skye is magic. It's a bit sparse on the social side but if yer into a bit of stoatin about there is so much to enjoy there!

Have you ever been to that restaurant in Lanzarote where they cook your tea inside the volcano? It's pretty impressive.

Agree now that's proper under floor heating.

Regarding having a break in Scotland i go and stay in the Glenbeag cottages in the Spittal Of Glenshee a couple of miles from the ski resort.

Total chill out time with the nearest shop being in Breamar about 15 miles away.

Sorry to hijack the thread....

I'm going to Aviemore for a long weekend in May with my mates, anyone recommend anything to do while we're there? Or any pubs we should be frequenting?