Short Break In Scotland Advice - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Short Break In Scotland Advice

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hijack the thread....

I'm going to Aviemore for a long weekend in May with my mates, anyone recommend anything to do while we're there? Or any pubs we should be frequenting?

All of the pubs are fine, the nightclub is interesting to say the least.

Winking Owl is one of the more livley pubs i'd say. Skiing doo is good for food, nice steaks and decent prices. Cairngorm does bar meals for reasonable prices too if you want to go cheaper, same with the Owl. Can always take a walk up the Cairngorms or go up on the monorail to see the view if you've never been. Plenty of cycle paths and walking paths too. Depends what you want to do but there is plenty about.

All of the pubs are fine, the nightclub is interesting to say the least.

Winking Owl is one of the more livley pubs i'd say. Skiing doo is good for food, nice steaks and decent prices. Cairngorm does bar meals for reasonable prices too if you want to go cheaper, same with the Owl. Can always take a walk up the Cairngorms or go up on the monorail to see the view if you've never been. Plenty of cycle paths and walking paths too. Depends what you want to do but there is plenty about.

Winking Owl is decent, and not far away is the Vault......the less said about there the better.

There's plenty outdoor lodges that you can do stuff at, clay pigeon shooting, quad biking, skiing/snowboarding, walk around the Cairngorm, Loch Morloch (sp?) etc. etc.

Winking Owl is decent, and not far away is the Vault......the less said about there the better.

There's plenty outdoor lodges that you can do stuff at, clay pigeon shooting, quad biking, skiing/snowboarding, walk around the Cairngorm, Loch Morloch (sp?) etc. etc.

Aye the vault is the dodgy nightclub haha. Nightclub being used loosely.

Loch Morlich is lovely.

Sorry to hijack the thread....

I'm going to Aviemore for a long weekend in May with my mates, anyone recommend anything to do while we're there? Or any pubs we should be frequenting?

Britain's only reindeer herd are just outside Aviemore. There's a guided tour and you can pet and feed them. Safari park type activities wouldn't normally float my boat but the reindeer were really powerful but really relaxed and tame - wasn't expecting to enjoy the experience as much as I did.

As for pubs The Old Bridge Inn is worth a mention.

Thanks guys have booked up for Skye, maybe stop at Fort William en route.

Will look back at this in future for inspiration! Aviemore, Inveraray and Arran all on the to do list as well.

Good choice Broono. Just the drive from Glasgow to Skye is impressive Loch Lomond>> Glencoe>> Eilean Donan Castle and then you hit Skye itself.

Fort William has "services" but not much else to recommend it - petrol station, supermarket, loads of b and bs and tourist tat shop.

If you've got time and looking for other places to go in that general area - as opposed to just breaking the journey I'd recommend Plockton and Applecross.

Good choice Broono. Just the drive from Glasgow to Skye is impressive Loch Lomond>> Glencoe>> Eilean Donan Castle and then you hit Skye itself.

Fort William has "services" but not much else to recommend it - petrol station, supermarket, loads of b and bs and tourist tat shop.

If you've got time and looking for other places to go in that general area - as opposed to just breaking the journey I'd recommend Plockton and Applecross.

:ok:

Pass of the Cattle (?) road to Applecross is a fantastic experience.

My usual pitstops on the road to and from Skye.

Luss

The Green Welly at Tyndrum (Great food)

The van at the car park overlooking Loch Tulla as you approach Rannoch Moor.

The Glencoe visitor centre.

The Scotmid at Ballachulish

McDonalds at Fort William.

The cafe at Spean Bridge Garden Centre.

And before anyone asks no I don't do them all every time, except the Green Welly.

My usual pitstops on the road to and from Skye.

Luss

The Green Welly at Tyndrum (Great food)

The van at the car park overlooking Loch Tulla as you approach Rannoch Moor.

The Glencoe visitor centre.

The Scotmid at Ballachulish

McDonalds at Fort William.

The cafe at Spean Bridge Garden Centre.

And before anyone asks no I don't do them all every time, except the Green Welly.

Try the chippy opposite in the old little chef.... amazing!! (well it was last time i was there)