Sectarian Singing - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly a wonder bigotry is still so common at Ibrox when their fans seem more intent on making excuses for it then telling folk beside them in the stands to stop acting like scumbags.

Personally, I don't understand why decent people support Rangers. Rangers ARE sectarian, it's not an adjunct, it's the reason the club is and it's been their lifeblood ever since Celtic came along.

This Rangers is the same club as the old Rangers. Same values, same triumphalism, same small minded bigotry. Why support them, unless you're into waving Union Jacks and hating Catholics? There are plenty of other, less toxic football clubs.

Just my opinion, I just don't get it.

Certainly aint because they are glory hunters.

J

You're excusing the authorities, the SFA, the SPFL and the clubs' inability to address this issue by suggesting that what is and isn't sectarian is difficult to define.

It's easy to define. It's a lack of will to address it and eradicate it that's the problem.

I'm not saying it's difficult to define what is sectarian. That's the easy bit. Defining what is offensive is the hard bit.

The law has to cover both, don't you think?

Hardly a wonder bigotry is still so common at Ibrox when their fans seem more intent on making excuses for it then telling folk beside them in the stands to stop acting like scumbags.

Bollocks!

I've done just that and been threatened for it. I got no backup from Stewards or Police so why should I do it again?

As you've said these people are scum, so they wouldn't be shy of kicking your head in if they felt like it.

The authorities need to take the lead.

Not really.

Something can be offensive without being sectarian e.g. homophobic chanting.

Maybe I misunderstood what Renfrewblue was saying in his post. I thought he meant just because something's sectarian or offensive to one person, it may not be to another. Reading it again, I probably misread it :blush: Edited by redstevie007

I'm not saying it's difficult to define what is sectarian. That's the easy bit. Defining what is offensive is the hard bit.

The law has to cover both, don't you think?

No, I don't think the law has to cover both.

What's offensive and what's not is highly subjective - having a law on it is fraught with problems and bound to fail. "Offensive" songs are also sung at football grounds around the world.

Sectarian singing is a problem peculiar to football grounds in Scotland, its a problem the authorities have been unable or unwilling to address and is far easier to define than what is offensive and what is not.

Focus on the sectarian singing and eradicate it, don't get distracted by what may or may not be offensive.

Not really.

Something can be offensive without being sectarian e.g. homophobic chanting.

Mind being at a midweek game v hearts at pittodrie where Justin Fashanau was playing

Was very little or no stuff aimed at him

Not sure if the fans were that accepting 20 yrs back or fact was a dismal 0-0 midweek game , cold night etc

I went to Hearts v Athletico Madrid in a midweek match where Fashanu was playing. He was royally pish. Female three rows in front shouts to the manager Sandy Clark " Haw Sandy - get that big black English poof aff the park" . She probably didn't know whether he was Catholic or not.

I went to Hearts v Athletico Madrid in a midweek match where Fashanu was playing. He was royally pish. Female three rows in front shouts to the manager Sandy Clark " Haw Sandy - get that big black English poof aff the park" . She probably didn't know whether he was Catholic or not.

Such heightism is completely unacceptable!

Maybe I misunderstood what Renfrewblue was saying in his post. I thought he meant just because something's sectarian or offensive to one person, it may not be to another. Reading it again, I probably misread it :blush:

You did misunderstand me but I'm not going to be offended by it. ?

What's offensive and what's not is highly subjective - having a law on it is fraught with problems and bound to fail. "Offensive" songs are also sung at football grounds around the world.

Sectarian singing is a problem peculiar to football grounds in Scotland, its a problem the authorities have been unable or unwilling to address and is far easier to define than what is offensive and what is not.

Focus on the sectarian singing and eradicate it, don't get distracted by what may or may not be offensive.

Do you think being called a fenian bassa is somehow worse than being called a paedo bassa?

I'm no' keen on either.

You may be right but I'd like to think it's not beyond the wit of man to define offensive songs and eradicate them as they should be with the sectarian singing.

I don't think the club or the authorities are going to change people's beliefs, that's something much bigger than football but there's no doubt that people use Rangers as a vehicle to air their bigoted views, in that respect the club and SFA should do everything in their power to stop sectarianism.

Something they haven't done.

Don't know about other grounds but before every match at Pittodrie there is an announcement made warning about fan behaviour and all the possible consequences for the club which includes a warning of points loss or forfeiting a cup game.

Therefore the rules are already in place but it seems there is not yet a willingness to use them.

As I have said before UEFA have acted quickly and fairly decisively when incidents have arisen within their jurisdiction. It is up to our authorities to do the same.

A few fines & stand closures with the threat of points loss for a further offence should hopefully see a big improvement.

Is there a parallel in saying not to legislate against smoking because alcohol is also an issue?

Yes there is. And certain posters are acting like the tobacco companies.

"I don't know what's sectarian and what's not and anyway those songs about child abuse are just as bad."

You may be right but I'd like to think it's not beyond the wit of man to define offensive songs and eradicate them as they should be with the sectarian singing.

Do we have to put a hold on dealing with the sectarian songs until you've defined what is and isn't offensive?