Ourageous If We Play Qatar - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ourageous If We Play Qatar

Marty

http://www.gulf-times.com/mobile//sport/192/details/423736/for-belmadi,-the-focus-is-on-building-a-team-for-2022-world-cup

Bad enough that the SFA have stayed mostly silent on the whole 2022 issue - massive corruption, thousands more construction slave labour deaths predicted as a result of the decision and numerous other obscenities against our game.

If this is true that we are actually going to play them then I would be disgusted. Worse than sportsmen touring south africa back in 80's and against what the vast majority of our nation stand for.

I hope to god it's wrong.

If it's not I'll be boycotting.

http://www.gulf-times.com/mobile//sport/192/details/423736/for-belmadi,-the-focus-is-on-building-a-team-for-2022-world-cup

Bad enough that the SFA have stayed mostly silent on the whole 2022 issue - massive corruption, thousands more construction slave labour deaths predicted as a result of the decision and numerous other obscenities against our game.

If this is true that we are actually going to play them then I would be disgusted. Worse than sportsmen touring south africa back in 80's and against what the vast majority of our nation stand for.

I hope to god it's wrong.

If it's not I'll be boycotting.

Did you boycott our games against Serbia and Croatia over the past few years? Both countries with horrific relatively recent war crime rcords and a lot of hostility festering away. if you did fair play for being consistent..........Am assuming you would also boycott any friendly against any prosperous Middle East team where migrant labourers are also treated appallingly - or is it just a FIFA issue and you should boycott all internationals maybe?

Nowhere near the same scale. Nowhere near.

If we follow your logic then we do hee haw about anything ever. I'm proud that most scots are a bit more politicised than that.

This is different because deaths will be caused by a football decision.

Therefore it is natural to resond within football.

Two busy flights a day leave Glasgow for Dubai. Edinbrugh has daily and busy flights to Doha. Both Qatar and Emirates and wealthy ME countries treat migrant labourers appallingly. How politicised are the Scots on these flights? Not very much I would suggest.

Brazil spent millions on preparing for the WC at the expense of providing infrastructure and basic necessities for the population - hence the demonstrations during the event (which were dispelled with violently). As Sox said, did you and other politicised countyrmen refuse to watch any of the games due to this and the general short shrift the Brazilain Govt had for the rights of their citizens? You can't get on your high horse over Qatar with such glaring inconsistencies.

Edited by Return of Yermaw

Really not on the same scale.

And not much of a high horse. I'm not asking for the sfa to picket outside the qatari embassy. But if there is a chance that they are actually going out of our way to give these guys legitmacy after all that has happened then I'm disgusted.

These guys buy credibility. I hope we 're not selling it.

And not much of a high horse. I'm not asking for the sfa to picket outside the qatari embassy. But if there is a chance that they are actually going out of our way to give these guys legitmacy after all that has happened then I'm disgusted.

well said. it's criminal what Qatar are getting away with and what they are being allowed to influence in the world.

Home or in London?

J

Given they are saying "UK training camp" rather than mentioning London makes me think they could be making use of Man City new training camp (given the Qatar links).... Etihad would be far to big for the game, so maybe they will train there then head up to Scotland?

Fans as always are welcome to vote with their feet.

You can only really vote with your feet if it's a home game, if it's away from Scotland be it in London or Qatar the $FA won't care less as they'll have the match fee. Unless I've not seen that it's likely to go ahead in Scotland

I don't understand your scale argument or your point about the vast majority of Scots being politicised on such issues when three planes leave Scotland every day for Doha and Dubai. Also not sure why a team that plays in WC qualifiers and Asian Cup are not credible. But hey ho, I'll leave you to it.......

Return YM - I take the point about Brazil but I think what makes qatar different is that there is such an obvious direct link between the 2022 decision (and all the stuff that lead up to it) and many many deaths.

It's blantant. There is no need for all those stadiums (or indeed any of them) otherwise and vast numbers will die because they now have to be built.

Also a good point about labour and construction across the region but, unlike this issue, football cant be blamed for those deaths.

Also, aside from the deaths there is the whole notion that a world cup can be bought - bought by a country that would never qualify so is denying a real football country a place in the tournamemt.

It's not a massive moral crusade to think that, in this context, it's wrong for Scotland to go out of its way to play Qatar. There are others, especially in UEFA, that would say no.

FAs all round the world simply take money when it is on offer.

Portugal and Italy are playing each other in Doha in June (after the qualifiers) to open a World Cup stadium. June!!! So if they can play in Qatar in June then surely they can't have any complaints playing the WC in June there in 2022.

Slovenia are playing Qatar in Doha this March.

FAs all round the world simply take money when it is on offer.

Portugal and Italy are playing each other in Doha in June (after the qualifiers) to open a World Cup stadium. June!!! So if they can play in Qatar in June then surely they can't have any complaints playing the WC in June there in 2022.

Slovenia are playing Qatar in Doha this March.

Juve played Napoli in the Italian charity shield in Doha last month too!