Free Kicks - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Been a long time since I played football when it was more difficult to score past a wall from a free kick and the balls didn't move the same way.

Can anyone playing explain why teams don't consider a different way off defending free-kicks. Just been watching Gerrard despatch one quite easily against Wimbledon and seems to be a high percentage of free kicks scored when defending with a wall.

My theory would be to put one man ten yards from the ball , maybe have five across the goal line and the rest floating around a few yards in front. Obviously this means the opposition can put men on the goal line too - but it makes it far more difficult for the taker of the free kick to stick one in the net. I would think there there would be far more stramashes but less goals conceded. Just look when a free kick is awarded for a back pass handled by keeper five or ten yards out. Seems very difficult to score with loads of players on the line.

name me one player that can head the crossbar from a standing start... would be so easy to score if everyone stood on the line...just play it high, keeper cant move for all the players, players on line cant jump high enough... more goals would be scored imho

Whilst I don't agree with everyone standing on the line, I have questioned why keepers still have a wall in place when the free kick taker is going to curl it. I understood the need for a wall if it was an Albertz number but if it was Beckham, then a wall only blocks the keepers vision of the ball.

Who was it that put up two walls with a gap in the middle (intentionally!) so the keeper could see the free kick taker? The keeper stood in the middle of his goal rather then to one side, I guess to give him a better chance of saving it regardless of which way the taker went.

Could they stand behind the goalline (off the playing field) so this doesn't happen (and step over the line when the free kick is actually taken)?

If a player does that when the ball is in play, then the attacker is still considered to be onside, and the defender could be booked for his actions.

If a defender did it before a free kick, they would need to ask the refs permission to enter the pitch.

Edited by kumnio

Whilst I don't agree with everyone standing on the line, I have questioned why keepers still have a wall in place when the free kick taker is going to curl it. I understood the need for a wall if it was an Albertz number but if it was Beckham, then a wall only blocks the keepers vision of the ball.

I've long thought the same. I said so on here and got pelters from the collective "wisdom" of the TAMB.

I've been waiting years for a manager to instruct his team not to set up a wall at free kicks. All it does is give the taker a target. I'm sure there was a manager a few years ago who was thinking about doing this but admitted he didn't have the bottle in case it didn't work and made him look silly. Can't remember who it was though.

More years ago than I care to admit, a team I played for tried out all sorts of different set ups for defending free kicks, and as the goalie I got to try them out in training.

No wall - You where giving the guy a free shot at goal.

Split wall - Blocked the keepers view of any lay offs to the side, and also Increased chance of deflections, off the wall.

Wall covering the back post, as opposed to the traditional near post - Total waste of time, as with using no wall, you where giving the guy a free shot at goal.

Man covering back post - Played everybody onside, and if the shot went into the top corner, the guy at the back post could not jump high enough to clear it (Please note we where under 16's)

Wall covering the traditional near post - While far from Ideal, it was, and in my opinion, still is, the best option.

More years ago than I care to admit, a team I played for tried out all sorts of different set ups for defending free kicks, and as the goalie I got to try them out in training.

No wall - You where giving the guy a free shot at goal.

Split wall - Blocked the keepers view of any lay offs to the side, and also Increased chance of deflections, off the wall.

Wall covering the back post, as opposed to the traditional near post - Total waste of time, as with using no wall, you where giving the guy a free shot at goal.

Man covering back post - Played everybody onside, and if the shot went into the top corner, the guy at the back post could not jump high enough to clear it (Please note we where under 16's)

Wall covering the traditional near post - While far from Ideal, it was, and in my opinion, still is, the best option.

Yes, but a wall is set-up to prevent a free shot at goal. However I would suggest that 95% of the time, a well positioned goalkeeper should save a shot from 20 or so yards if he has a clear sight of it (excluding the occasional shot that just can't be saved). Due to the wall limiting the goalkeeper's vision and due to the goalkeeper positioning himself in a position in the goals which is likely to be the furthest distance from the ball, I would say his success rate is below 95% and therefore would concede less goals from free-kicks by having no wall. However the standard mentaility is that you cannot give the opposition a free shot.

in saying that there will be other variables. if the defending team elect not to have a wall, the opposing team can have their own wall and thus reduce the keeper's vision and dictate his positioning. Also the attacking team's wall can break off or do a number of distrcating things. So rather than being a line of defence, maybe a wall from the defending team is needed merely to prevent the oppsoition team from creating a wall........

I think by having a wall your stopping someone just melting a shot a goal from 20 yards. Most sunday league duffers can belt a shot into the net from this range. By having a wall you prevent this and limit who is likely to score from a free kick significantly.

The downside being, if the team have a player with sufficient technique the goalkeeper can be at a disadvantage due to his position and view. This method prevails as very few teams have a player capable of repeatedly scoring free kicks past a near post wall.

I think some of it is to do with how light the balls are these days (he says sounding a reet owd gimmer). Any clogger can hit it hard enough to make it mis-shapen for a split second & that makes it loads harder to predict. I was at this game (Scarborough v. Brighouse Town, English 7th tier) where the quality was dubious but the first goal live looked stunning. When you see the video it didn't even move that fast, just spun out of the keepers way.

The double save at the end was quality though.

I think some of it is to do with how light the balls are these days (he says sounding a reet owd gimmer). Any clogger can hit it hard enough to make it mis-shapen for a split second & that makes it loads harder to predict. I was at this game (Scarborough v. Brighouse Town, English 7th tier) where the quality was dubious but the first goal live looked stunning. When you see the video it didn't even move that fast, just spun out of the keepers way.

The double save at the end was quality though.

I've been to that ground - it's in Bridlington init? Wee man was wearing his 89 United top with Belhaven on it and it was a source of fascination to the geeks on the programme stand.

I've been to that ground - it's in Bridlington init? Wee man was wearing his 89 United top with Belhaven on it and it was a source of fascination to the geeks on the programme stand.

Yes you're right it's Brid. Currently ground-sharing with their arch local rivals!