Stevie Gerrard - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giggs ain't comparable anyway. Scholes and Lampard are though. There isn't much between Lampard and Gerrard IMO. There is between the two of them and Scholes.

What age are you out of interest mate? I've seen a few guys saying he is the second best Liverpool player ever. I'm wondering if it's because they didn't watch the great Liverpool sides of the 80's. It's sometimes quite easy not to consider those lads if someone hasn't actually seen them.

Agree.

Scholes much better player than both by some distance.

Like yourself I don't support any of the teams involved in this argument so can be objective in my comments.

Paris

My opinion is that he is the best midfielder from Britain with his all round play and leadership qualities.

You quote stats about Giggs / Scholes and Fat Frank fair enough but unless you combine all 3 into one player then IMO they don't come close.

You could throw Beckham into that list because he could cross a ball better than anyone.

I might be thick as pigpoo but i am fully aware there is a love hate relationship for Stevie G on this board especially from those, who have posted about Gerrard but can only mention / Scous c..nts / a two footed tackle / Alledged assault / and a joke about some local gangster who tried to bully Gerrard and is now locked up for 8 years after getting a slap.

Not forgetting the saddo who throws a low punch in and mentions paving flags, he knew what he was on about and of which has nothing to do with Gerrard

So when the comedians on here actually sit down and talk footy then they will agree with my opinion. :ok:

I will go as far as saying he is the second best ever Liverpool player. just behind King Kenny.

. .

Scholes was a better player.....

Not taking anything away from Gerrard, great player

it basically comes down to whether he is a top player, a top top player, or a top top top player - or merely just a long standing player. On the few occasions I have seen him playing for England, he has been mince.... as such I conclude that he is likely to excel taking penalties against Leicester, Aston Villa etc but up against decent international standard players he seems to be found wanting.......

You are at the wind up if you're meaning the CL final that he almost single handedly dragged Liverpool back into!

Ehh?? What wind up? They won a Champions League final on penalties. A penalty shoot out is a 50/50, coin toss IMO. If he hadn't won that Champions League his other medals at Liverpool would have been a pretty poor haul for a very good career.

Ehh?? What wind up? They won a Champions League final on penalties. A penalty shoot out is a 50/50, coin toss IMO. If he hadn't won that Champions League his other medals at Liverpool would have been a pretty poor haul for a very good career.

Yeah, what I'm taking exception to is that you're putting his CL medal down to a "coin toss" penalty shootout which ignores the fact that they only had that opportunity thanks to his second half heroics!

Giggs ain't comparable anyway. Scholes and Lampard are though. There isn't much between Lampard and Gerrard IMO. There is between the two of them and Scholes.

What age are you out of interest mate? I've seen a few guys saying he is the second best Liverpool player ever. I'm wondering if it's because they didn't watch the great Liverpool sides of the 70's and 80's. It's sometimes quite easy not to consider those lads if someone hasn't actually seen them whilst still accepting that Dalglish is the best as that is what is widely considered to be true.

My old man is a big fan of Liverpool and rates Hughes and Souness higher than Gerrard. What would your thoughts be in that?

Angus i am 49 next month going on 16.

So watched my team for close on 40 years seen all the best players over that time, before Gerrard, Souness would have been the best midfielder we had and he played in some midfield along with Mcdermot Kennedy Case and had Kenny and Rushie in front of him with Hansen and Lawrenson behind him.

Stevie has had nothing like that yet still dragged us out of the mire on many occasions.

PS How do you put Cove on ignore :ok: .

Yeah, what I'm taking exception to is that you're putting his CL medal down to a "coin toss" penalty shootout which ignores the fact that they only had that opportunity thanks to his second half heroics!

Irrespective of what happened before the penalties, and how well he played in the match (2nd half anyway!), when you get to penalties its a coin toss. Thus he was a coin toss away from a pretty average career medals wise without that win.

Its actually very difficult IMO to rank him against Lampard and Scholes.

Lampard was incredibly consistent at his peak with Chelsea. Double figures in league goals 10 seasons in a row from midfield is almost freakish.

Scholes was a very good player in a succession of very good Man Utd sides with great players around him and the fact that SAF kept him for so long probably is the best indication of his qualities. However I do think there is this sort of "cult of Scholes" which has grown since his retirement that seems to have elevated him to almost mythical levels of ability.

Gerrard had a lot of poor players beside him for a lot of his career so didn't have the "luxuries" Scholes had. You could argue that Gerrards best years were when he had Xabi Alonso, another very good player, beside him and thus with better players around him he would have achieved more than he has. He never got the consistent level of goals that Lampard achieved season on season but he did seem to be more versatile than either of them IMO. He also seemed to pull his team out of the sh!t more often than the other two but that is again due to players in his team v players in their teams.

So Lampard for goals and consistency season on season, Scholes for continually featuring in a succession of very good sides or Gerrard for, well running about a lot and carrying his teams! I'm only thankful England never ever found a way to use them to the best of their abilities together. Gerrards engine and drive, Lampards goals and Scholes' passing and dictating play really should have been a midfield sent from heaven if combined properly. Instead they stuck to 442 with Scholes wide left and neither Gerrard or Lampard used to their best.

Gerrard is great player.don't care what anyone on here says.dragging a Liverpool team by the balls through their fa cup tie again tonight.id love him to have been Scottish.

That post looks like it was written by a 5 year old girl who has never watched a football match in her life. You don't just turn up and take penalties to win any competition. 13 games to win a champions league.

SSN and talk sport in a huge tizz today about Gerard's spectacular performance last night against...................erm AFC Wimbledon

And? People on here get in a frenzy when our players play well or score no matter the opposition. Are you saying if it was Naismith scored those goals to help Everton win 2-1 you wouldn't think anything of it?

Gerrard has shown time and again he can produce against anyone whether its the likes of Madrid, Barca, Milan or just Wimbledon so it'sjustified.

And? People on here get in a frenzy when our players play well or score no matter the opposition. Are you saying if it was Naismith scored those goals to help Everton win 2-1 you wouldn't think anything of it?

Gerrard has shown time and again he can produce against anyone whether its the likes of Madrid, Barca, Milan or just Wimbledon so it'sjustified.

Id be glad he scored two goals but I wouldn't think he was a world beater because he scored twice against a bottom tier side