Craft Beers - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If everyone that talked about 'craft beer' drank 'craft beer' then it would be a category with a much larger share of the market. There are some great independently brewed beers out there but also a lot of Shyte. The notion that shovelling more and more floral American hops in makes it good is a mis-guided one, what winds me up about Brewdog is their constant attacks on the "big brewers". As if they are some kind of garage brewery outfit.

There's a local micro-brewery opened up here where I stay that has probably a thousand different bottles from all over the world and after the owner finding out I was Scottish he said his strongest craft beer was that Brewdog stuff. Isn't that the gear from Aberdeen?

There's a local micro-brewery opened up here where I stay that has probably a thousand different bottles from all over the world and after the owner finding out I was Scottish he said his strongest craft beer was that Brewdog stuff. Isn't that the gear from Aberdeen?

Aye, the brewery is in Ellon.

What is the definition of "craft beer"?

Is it just the size of the brewery? Is home brew "craft"?

J

Craft beer is basically a catch all phrase for non-main stream beers. There is no accepted description.

Real ale is cask conditioned and unpasteurised so has a shorter shelf life. It has to be drawn without the addition of a mixed gas and no additional gas other than fermentation by product can be added.

Craft can be boiled away, degassing, nitrogen added when served.

I do like many a craft labelled beer as with anything it should be about the taste and variety. But as a camra member and ex-brewer I will always go for cask ale.

Long and short it is a marvellous marketing term which has helped brewery's stem the slump in beer saled.

Bottle condition a whole other thing.

Craft beer is basically a catch all phrase for non-main stream beers. There is no accepted description.

Real ale is cask conditioned and unpasteurised so has a shorter shelf life. It has to be drawn without the addition of a mixed gas and no additional gas other than fermentation by product can be added.

Craft can be boiled away, degassing, nitrogen added when served.

I do like many a craft labelled beer as with anything it should be about the taste and variety. But as a camra member and ex-brewer I will always go for cask ale.

Long and short it is a marvellous marketing term which has helped brewery's stem the slump in beer saled.

Bottle condition a whole other thing.

Good man. Edited by Charlie Endell

Agree about the american hops. I know an american who is building his craft beer business (doing pretty well now...) and he insists that it's the american hops that he's importing that are the key. His beer is nice enough but I can't really stomach more than one bottle because of the 'hoppiness' of it. Same for some of the brewdog beers.

Anyway, the appreciation of 'craft beer' only seems to come to people with the cash to spare. The same people that do their weekly shop at wholefoods. Glasgow seems to have more and more of this 'class'. Real Scottish drinkers will always opt for the traditional water like lagers because they need to polish off 10 of them in a night. This can't be achieved with craft stuff!

Good man.

I must add.... when available.

In Aberdeen there is 38 places selling cask according to whatpub.com, but the problem is there'll usually be one pump with at a guess, ossian or Deuchar IPA.

Sadly I stick to moorings, archie Simpsons, grill as they're the only ones who massively change their selection.

Ps (hope I'm not breaking board rules) join camra £23 per year, gives £20 vouchers for Wetherspoons. Monthly paper, quarterly magazine, discount at some pubs (was pleased as punch using it in the judges at Partick cross before the Georgia hand) and festivals.

Real Scottish drinkers will always opt for the traditional water like lagers because they need to polish off 10 of them in a night. This can't be achieved with craft stuff!

This annoys the heck outta me, firstly why the need to excess. Secondly cask ale is cheaper or at least the same price. My local £3.45 ale or Tennant, Guinness £3.80. Wetherspoons in Aberdeen £1.80 ale. I can go out after work in abz with £20 and have 6-8 crafted cask ales and enjoy the variety of my drinks. Even better value if I use camra discounts.

If everyone that talked about 'craft beer' drank 'craft beer' then it would be a category with a much larger share of the market. There are some great independently brewed beers out there but also a lot of Shyte. The notion that shovelling more and more floral American hops in makes it good is a mis-guided one, what winds me up about Brewdog is their constant attacks on the "big brewers". As if they are some kind of garage brewery outfit.

this is true brew dog are no longer small but compared to say diaggeo or Scottish and Newcastle they are still tiny.

Craft beer is up there with '..Street food..' - for self absorbed shallow hipster whanks!!

Both are essential for your modern day lumbersexual.

If you strip away all the nonsense marketing though, there's some absolute gems to be found.

Bucketloads of shite too.