Steven Whittaker Is A flipping Balloon - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Whittaker Is A flipping Balloon

dandydunn

I'm normally the first one to start on Whittaker, but I have to say it wasn't because of him that we lost.

As a team there were far too many players had an off night.

It's probably easier to list players who would get pass marks:

Hanley, Robertson, Mulgrew, Maloney, Morrison, Russell, and maybe Fletcher.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minute we lose and a witchhunt starts.

Not Whittaker's greatest fan by any stretch, but not forgetting his performances against Poland and ROI.

You win as a team, you lose as a team. Could say everyone had an off night tonight. But given where we have come from since Strachan took over, will simply put this down to a bad night at the office.

Agreed.No need for over the top criticism.

TBH, Robertson was at fault for their first 2 goals.

Yes but he's forgiven because he scored a really good goal and he's the new kid on the block. Whereas Whitikar's reputation goes before him.

Everyone feel's a bit down after tonight, but theres no point in throwing needless muck at the team. If someone had offered me these 2 results before Friday I'd have bit your hand off.

Exactly. Remember the '99 play-off? They murdered us at Hampden, yet we should at least have taken it to extra time at Wembley. The point being that we haven't suddenly returned to being shite after losing a friendly. If you're only as good as your last match then we couldn't have a much better one coming up to put it right.

Spot on !

Massive overreaction on here tonight

Yes but he's forgiven because he scored a really good goal and he's the new kid on the block. Whereas Whitikar's reputation goes before him.

Everyone feel's a bit down after tonight, but theres no point in throwing needless muck at the team. If someone had offered me these 2 results before Friday I'd have bit your hand off.

Me too. Honestly don't care about the result tonight. November friendlies should be about experiments. We got to see Martin start a match and gave debuts to May and Russell. Maybe a shame we couldn't try a few other options.

I started this topic bit as a witch hunt,but as imo,he simply is t good enough. Time and time again he is out of position,slack passing and geniunley looks lost.

Yes,he had a couple of good performances,but he looked totally lost tonight.

He had a bad game, it happens to every player. Get over it !

He's a decent player and we're hardly blessed with a huge amount of options at right back.

Last month Alan Hutton (undeniably one of our top two or three performers over the last ten years) was getting pelters. Tonight it's Steven Whittaker.

I'm wondering who the opening poster would have played instead?

I haven't seen much of him but have heard good things. I'd like to see him move clubs at the earliest opportunity though.

As a season ticket holder for Hearts I honestly don't think he's a secure option,personally I think he's lazy and prefers to be more attacking than running back and tracking/defending,he also gets pretty frustrated and likes to chuck in a 'robust' tackle,To be honest we'd end up in more bother than we started,the flip side is his crosses are just as good as Andy Robertsons & due to his heigh,he can used well in set pieces,maybe time will make him a good player,but not the now,he's just too erratic.

I also noticed last night as I was near Whittaker in the first half as I was in the main stand lower,prior to the first Engurland goal when he tries to pass the ball to Maloney,Strachan went absolutely ape at him & he just starts shacking his head in annoyance(Whittaker) and was looking at the ground as if he was wanting it to open up and swallow him up, I think his head was up his a@#e and this why we partially screwed up for that goal.

Been saying that since the moment he pulled on a Scotland shirt. Unfortunately, full-back's not a position we're particularly blessed with talent in. If only we could find another Robertson.

Ziggy Gordon is a damn fine right back, to the extent that Poland are thinking of capping him (his mother is Polish). Yet because he plays for little old Hamilton Accies, he isn't even considered. Where have I heard that before.

Why pick on him? What about Mulgrew?

Stupid decison to take his man out totally unnecessarily led to the free kick that gave them a goal.

Then for the last he peels off his man inside the box and allows him to cut the ball back to Rooney. If he'd kept his run going maybe he'd have been in a position to block the cut back, maybe not, but when he peeled off him he was in the middle of nowhere, covering nobody and doing nothing.

Ziggy Gordon is a damn fine right back, to the extent that Poland are thinking of capping him (his mother is Polish). Yet because he plays for little old Hamilton Accies, he isn't even considered. Where have I heard that before.

Aye right. I'm sure an Accies player will get in ahead of Piszczek (the Dortmund right back).

I started this topic bit as a witch hunt,but as imo,he simply is t good enough. Time and time again he is out of position,slack passing and geniunley looks lost.

Yes,he had a couple of good performances,but he looked totally lost tonight.

yep witch hunt you have obviously not managed to analise all performences last night sad that you pick out only one player instead off more

c,martin not very mobile but was playing against good defenders

anya managed to beat clyne playing his second started game only once

mulgrew constantly giving fouls away in midfield looked better at c/h

robertson found wanting for first goal

naismith unlike him but never drove once at shaw

hanley never got near rooney maybe in the tunnel but that was it

but lets be honest i have watched hunners of games and the so called fans always want to blame someone if its not whittaker it will be someone else

please judge all the squad at the end of qualifiers so why not get behind all players involved for the time being

Aye right. I'm sure an Accies player will get in ahead of Piszczek (the Dortmund right back).

They're thinking of capping him so he's tied to Poland and he becomes an option for them for ever. They might need more than one right back between now and the end of time.

yep witch hunt you have obviously not managed to analise all performences last night sad that you pick out only one player instead off more

c,martin not very mobile but was playing against good defenders

anya managed to beat clyne playing his second started game only once

mulgrew constantly giving fouls away in midfield looked better at c/h

robertson found wanting for first goal

naismith unlike him but never drove once at shaw

hanley never got near rooney maybe in the tunnel but that was it

but lets be honest i have watched hunners of games and the so called fans always want to blame someone if its not whittaker it will be someone else

please judge all the squad at the end of qualifiers so why not get behind all players involved for the time being

I'm not judging him over one game. I don't think he's good enough.

Two out of the last three matches he was outstanding, not at his best last night but who was. He is miles ahead of Hutton in al departments required in this position

Two out of the last three matches he was outstanding, not at his best last night but who was. He is miles ahead of Hutton in al departments required in this position

It is a pity we can't clone both players. Hutton's pace cloned with Whittaker's passing but out of the two I think Hutton would have been much more use to us last night as pace is what seemed to cause England most problems last night. Whittaker has done well in the key games for us and some should remember that he is perhaps third choice right-back for us so should cut him some slack.