Steven Whittaker Is A flipping Balloon - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Whittaker Is A flipping Balloon

dandydunn

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine but remember goals last night Robertson and Brown were culpable. Do you want them drummed out of the side as well?

I didn't say I wanted anyone drummed out of the side - that's for WGS to decide and not me.

My point was about you stating that Whittaker never let us down v Poland - in fact he fluffed a pretty standard clearance which let directly to Poland's second goal.

I didn't say I wanted anyone drummed out of the side - that's for WGS to decide and not me.

My point was about you stating that Whittaker never let us down v Poland - in fact he fluffed a pretty standard clearance which let directly to Poland's second goal.

Just remember Whittaker is second or perhaps even third choice right-back for us. To expect totally flawless stuff from one so far down pecking order for a nation as small is Scotland is a tad unrealistic don't you think?

He's nowhere near international standard.

Boy behind me summed it up last night 'He's no a right back..but then again he's no a right mid either.. maybe we should play him upfront, he can't do any harm there'

He's played in our last two competitive matches where we have picked up four points so I can't see how that is possible if he isn't up to international standard. Sure he will toil against top nations but many of our team would. Things have improved immeasurably under Strachan but last night shows we still need to strengthen our squad and increase skill levels.

Just remember Whittaker is second or perhaps even third choice right-back for us. To expect totally flawless stuff from one so far down pecking order for a nation as small is Scotland is a tad unrealistic don't you think?

For someone who has been a regular starter over the last couple of years at either RB or LB, my view is he's a liability more than an asset at international level.

If you have a different view, then I totally respect it.

:blink:

Which is exactly what I alluded to in a previous post - it's for WGS to decide and not me.

:hug:

Precisely. And who exactly would have played instead last night? Paterson? That is my point here. Whether he is a liability or not he is a better liability than others who would more likely be even greater liabilities.

It is clear we don't have great quality in depth at all areas in our squad (apart from perhaps goalkeeper and central midfield) so we have to make do with the lesser of evils with players out injured.

Caledonian Craig, my bad - I'll not bother posting an opinion in the future unless it's held by our esteemed manager (who I love btw)

Whittaker is pish. Just because we picked up points doesn't mean he isn't, just like loosing last night isn't simply down to him - he just played a big part in it and is a liability

Caledonian Craig, my bad - I'll not bother posting an opinion in the future unless it's held by our esteemed manager (who I love btw)

Whittaker is pish. Just because we picked up points doesn't mean he isn't, just like loosing last night isn't simply down to him - he just played a big part in it and is a liability

I do recall he saved us a goal last night though in the first half. Can't remember I think it was Rooney who waltzed his way into our area but Whittaker came across and ran ball out for a goal-kick so wan't all bad. Kind of sums him up - some good and some bad and be honest we have a few players like that so still seems Whittaker is being made a scapegoat here. If you can come up with a less pish third choice right-back option for us with experience then I am all ears.

I do recall he saved us a goal last night though in the first half. .

Which he also did in the Poland match. No-one is saying he's a brilliant player, but to call him a liability and a balloon isn't fair to the guy, and the fact he can play either flank makes him a valued squad member to me. Scottish too!

If we had Hutton in against the Irish on Friday we would have been run over down that flank.....he cannot defend BUT Whittaker did defend and got forward quite a bit, Hutton gets away with murder, maybe because he can't be blamed for bad defending because he doesn't defend.

he can play either flank

News to me!

I understand we are short on the options, and imagine WGS must be scrambling looking for alternatives as right now we are fab in midfield - but struggle when really tested in defence and, as is becoming apparent, in need of some fresh ideas up front.

News to me!

I understand we are short on the options, and imagine WGS must be scrambling looking for alternatives as right now we are fab in midfield - but struggle when really tested in defence and, as is becoming apparent, in need of some fresh ideas up front.

Touched on this on another thread, but these are statements I'm always reading about our team. The players to improve on Whittaker (as a back up full back) and Fletcher aren't there.

Although I do think Strachan is wrong about C Martin and we have better options than him.