Starting 11 Ireland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 Ireland

TartanDave

Now the last set of fixtures before the game has been played and fingers crossed there won't be any more injuries, what would you all go for in terms of a starting 11? I'd go;

Marshall but if Gordon started I wouldn't be too bothered. Think Marshall deserves it as he's started last few games.

Whitakker - I was hoping looking forward to having Bardsley back particularly with Hutton out, for me Whitakker is the weakest of the 3, should do the job for 90, however, if McGeady is in the mood it could be a long night for him.

Martin

Hanley - Think they are our strongest pairing

Robertson - Surely a guaranteed starter now Bardsley is out and Whitakker will be at right back?

Brown - 2nd name on team sheet for me, only behind Naisy.

Morrison, however, wouldn't object to Fletcher or Mulgrew starting, just think with the game time Morrison has been getting he pips it.

Bannan, a lot of focus will be on keeping the ball, and even though he hasn't played much, for me he just pips Maloney into a starting berth, again though, I will not complain if Maloney starts, just a personal preference really.

Naismith - First name on team sheet, hopefully he performs a little better than Georgia and Poland.

Anya - His pace getting in behind the defence is perhaps our most dangerous outlet.

Fletcher - Really enjoy watching him play, very gifted footballer and links the play brilliantly, I know some don't rate him as his goalscoring isn't quite up to scratch, but I am a big admirer.

Marshall

Whitakker Martin Hanley Robertson

Brown Morrison

Bannan Naismith Anya

Fletcher

Team I'd play:

Gordon

Whittaker

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

Morrison

Brown

D.Fletcher

Mulgrew

Naismith

S.Fletcher

Initially when the squad was announced I'd have had Bardsley at right back, Mulgrew centre mid, and Whittaker left mid. My thinking behind these selections is purely Sheamus Coleman. I don't think Robertson and Anya down the left would work against him, I think Robertson will need protection. Whittaker will play anywhere and has big game experience, similar to Mulgrew. I wouldn't normally select Darren Fletcher since he's not been playing much for United, but I would expect him to start ahead of other players in that area, ie McArthur or Maloney. I've always preferred Craig Gordon to McGregor and Marshall, although I expect Marshall will play.

Whilst Coleman needs to be respected, I think putting 2 full backs on his side is perhaps too respectful? If he has any weakness, it would be whilst defending and I fancy he'd rather Mulgrew dribbling at him than Anya, also as Anya can play full back he is pretty good at the defensive side of the game and getting back to help Robertson.

Edited, as I realised you said Mulgrew rather than Whitakker at left mid.

Edited by TartanDave

Rumours Gordon is getting the nod.

Other than that, I think runningtings team is spot on.

I heard this too, IMO that was why he was "injured" yesterday. I might shed a wee tear seeing Craigie back in a Scotland jersey!

Edited by Bzzzz

Rumours Gordon is getting the nod.

Other than that, I think runningtings team is spot on.

Would love to see Gordon back, I'm only 18 so have only been going to games since the draw at home to Belgium in 2001, but Gordon is definitely the keeper I have always felt most comfortable with, think he'd in the top 10 keepers in the world right now had injuries not thwarted him.

Craig Gordon back in the sticks for Scotland is something a few months ago I never thought I would see again, really pleased to see the big man back was a legend every time he played and from what I have seen for Celtic is back to being a great keeper again so I would have no problem with him starting. Special mention to his soccer AM appearance when asked if he would support England at the WC (as if Scotlands No1 would say yes :-))​ ) and then refusing to wear the EnglandUnited shirt at Sunderland :cheers3: but I think Marshall will start as I don't think he deserves to be dropped had some great games Norway away was a masterclass we should of been about 4-1 down there.

Marshall

Whittaker Martin Hanley Mulgrew

Brown Fletcher

Maloney Morrison Anya

Naismith

Think it will be:

Marshall

Whitakker Martin Hanley Robertson

Brown D.Fletcher

Naismith Morrison Anya

S.Fletcher

That's the team I'd like to see, although I'd be tempted to go for Gordon in goal. I think it would give us a great boost to see him back in goal. I imagine WGS will go for Marshall, which is fine, but I expect them to get a game each in the upcoming double header.

For comparison, here is an Ireland fans guess at how they will line up (he is assuming McCarthy will be ruled out):

Forde

Coleman

O'Shea

Keogh

Ward

McGeady

Gibson

Hendrick

McClean

Walters

Keane

To me, that's a team that we should be taking 3 points from, all things being right in the world.

For comparison, here is an Ireland fans guess at how they will line up (he is assuming McCarthy will be ruled out):

Forde

Coleman

O'Shea

Keogh

Ward

McGeady

Gibson

Hendrick

McClean

Walters

Keane

Hendrick is a very dangerous player and is scoring for fun at Derby. He's definitely for the watching should he play. McGeady and McClean are well known and should be relatively easy to snuff out of the game, Gibson looks as if he's running through wet cement at the best of times.

Coleman is a terrific player, the other 4 are half decent, but all there to be got at.

Walters is a battering ram and Keane's record speaks for itself.

All in all, I would be fairly happy from a Scotland point of view if that's how Ireland lined up and would fully expect a victory.

Suspect it will be,

...................................Marshall

Whittaker.......Hanley..................Martin..........Robertson

...........Mulgrew...........Brown...........Morrison

................Naismith....................Anya

................................S. Fletcher

But would not be surprised in Strachan found a way to start Maloney and/or Bannan at the expense of someone.

Think Gordon will be in goals for the England game, with maybe just minor changes to the team that starts that game, with maybe a few changes as the game goes on that might not happen in the Ireland game (ie May, Greer, Dorrans etc coming on and maybe even MacLeod).