Travel to Munich - Page 2 - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Travel to Munich

Paul D

1 hour ago, trout101 said:

Dunno if anyone knows if Augsburg is a good place to stay after Munich? Seems to be on the trainline back towards Cologne and it is cheap

I’ve booked a couple of places there the night of the opening game as the last train to where we plan to base ourselves is too early and hotel prices in Munich were just daft. Need to have a sit down and get a proper plan together tonight, hangover meant yesterday was a write off. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, trout101 said:

No catch, just Berlin isn't that close to munich and the 12th is 2 days before the opening game so less people will be flying out then

True, but the trains from Berlin to Munich are plentiful, so two nights in Berlin then wheech down to Munich on the Friday morning.  

15 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

I originally was going GLA > CDG > MUN on the 13th June, but I stupidly tried to book through Kiwi.com (Skyscanner) and the price went from £450 for the two of us to £950 before my booking was confirmed so got a full refund.

So after much fretting we are now going GLA > DUB 12th June Ryanair then DUB > MUN on the 13th Aer Lingus, cost approx £600 for the two of us, though we are taking 20kg baggage each included with that. 

Flight prices are crazy but these things don't come around often so live and let live.

If I'm looking for a silver lining we get into Munich at a much better time than original flights, approx 1045 vs 1730, downside is I'll be dossing in Dublin Airport overnight for a few hours.

You made any arrangements?

Funny you had that experience with kiwi. We booked the same flight and got the price as quoted on skyscanner but was a nervy hour while I waited for confirmation.

We ahd flights to Frankfurt booked already on the friday but was goign to be too tight to get to Munich on the train so had to re-book. Got a partial refund for original flight so worked out costing extra £200 to go direct to Munich. Land at 17.10 in Munich so plenty of time to get to pubs and stadium.

I see a few people staying in Augsburg.  Augsburg’s fine nothing wrong with it at all, easily accessible from Munich in normal circumstances.

i wanted to share though my experience from the CL final in 2012, where I stayed in Augsburg.  For those who can’t remember Chelsea beat Bayern Munich on penalties to win - before anyone comes up with the usual pish, there wasn’t any trouble at all, there wasn’t even any issues with people at the game, the problems were caused because of the number of people in the city that night and specifically trying to get everyone home.

Bayern and the city of Munich was so convinced they were destined to win in their home stadium - Unser Stadt, Unser Verein, Unser Pokal and all that - that the Munich council basically issued an invite to the whole of Bavaria and wider Germany to “come to Munich and see us win the cup”.

There was approximately an additional 500,000 people in Munich that day and that’s on top of the 80000 that had tickets for the game.  The Olympiastadion was being used as a fanzone.

Obviously the with the game kicking off at 20-45, going to extra-time and penalties and then the presentation ceremony it was just before midnight that we got out the Allianz.  Getting back into Munich was very easy, there’s a U-bahn at the the stadium and they were stacking the trains up, so as soon as one filled up it left.

When we got into the Hbf though around 20 minutes later, it was a different story, absolute carnage.  There was basically too many people in the station and there were no trains running anywhere.   I think it was around 2-30 before I managed to get on a crammed RE train going to Augsburg and got back to the hotel around 3-30.  I think it was the second or third train to leave Munich Hbf.

That was a transport meltdown I’ve rarely seen in the UK and I commuted to London for years, never seen anything that was down to sheer weight of people.

This is probably the biggest game to be played in Munich since that night.  The problem isn’t the game itself, it’s all the other stuff in the city.

Augsburg is close enough that if there’s a repeat you’ll get there but I wouldn’t be that confident on getting a late ICE to somewhere like Cologne as an example.   I’d book an early morning train and spend the night in a late night bar. 

I booked Edinburgh-Helsinki-Munich today with Finnair, leaving Ed at 0840 on the 12th and arriving at Mun at 1750. £260 one-way which was steep but as I was late booking and the times looked good I decided to take the hit. 

14 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Brilliant hearing all the different ways people are getting there

We're going to munich via Prague

Then to cologne

Likewise with ourselves

EDI-PRA with Easyjet on the morning of the 14th and arrive at 09:20 had booked after the Cyprus game for £50

Are you training it over from Prague or forking out for Taxi transfer?

Edited by Big Brows

8 hours ago, Big Brows said:

Likewise with ourselves

EDI-PRA with Easyjet on the morning of the 14th and arrive at 09:20 had booked after the Cyprus game for £50

Aye it's definitely got everybody thinking. I'm looking at a flight to Salzburg and train fae there?

1 hour ago, Garyayton said:

Travelling in motorhome on 13th june to harwich ferry across to hook of holland then 9/10hr drive into munich. 3 days there then off to cologne for remainder 

Good work mate. How many berth is it? Hint hint 😂

On 12/5/2023 at 2:16 AM, Big Brows said:

Likewise with ourselves

There is a direct bus from Prague I believe.

I've booked a bus from Zurich