Where are you based in Germany? - Page 2 - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Where are you based in Germany?

AlfieMoon

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve got eight days in Bochum, between Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen and Düsseldorf. Then I’ve got three nights in Düsseldorf somewhere nicer as I might need to curl up in a ball by that time. Will use the first booking as a base and if I need to go elsewhere for a night I can. The Düsseldorf one is cancellable though so if I need to look at heading elsewhere for those three days I can.

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I presume you know about the Bermuda Triangle in Bochum, aye?

https://www.bermuda3eck.de/locations/

I did not. Thanks for letting me know - just a ten minute walk from my hotel!

Thats going to be great during the tournament - I’m presuming they’ll have big screens up and suchlike.

Edited by biffer

6 minutes ago, biffer said:

I did not. Thanks for letting me know - just a ten minute walk from my hotel!

Thats going to be great during the tournament - I’m presuming they’ll have big screens up and suchlike.

I've seen it from the train (it's very close to Bochum train station) but I've never actually been there.

However, I know people who have been and they said it was fantastic.

Just bar after bar after bar after bar.

Booked For Dusseldorf -via Edinburgh for me and the boy for a week Sat-Sat Paid 240 per flight 2 days b4 we qualified now at £500 😬 

Have 7 nights digs in the city in three blocks, all refundable. Will be mental dash for rooms after the draw, like mentioned above there is a group of 5 cities within an hours train Dusseldorf Dortmund Cologne Gelsenkirchen and Frankfurt so its a no brainer when wingin' it for now! 

14 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

No bookin anything till I see where WE are playing and also where the guffies are, not a fkin chance I want to risk being anywhere near any of they cnts. 

Prepare to pay through the nose.  3 weeks there's a whole host of other nations qualified who will book up.

Edited by LoganRoy

I booked up in June!...And Thank FU*K!

Me and the Boy (18 and going to his 1st Finals - living the F'ing Dream!) heading to Frankfurt as we have German Friends in and around Frankfurt so can hook up with them there. Heading out 19th June and there until 27th (Last 2 Group Games).

Original Flight Cost: £220

Cost Now: £420

Got a Zillion Hotels booked though so that we can hit the road from there (all refundable):

Date Game City Digs Notes
Wednesday 19th June A2vA4 Cologne   1 Hour by Train from Frank
Arrives 9.10 AM A1vA3 Stuttgart   A1=GERMANY 1.5 Hours by Train from Frank
  B2vB4 Hamburg HOTEL 4.5 Hours by Train from Frank
Thursday 20th June B1vB3 Gelsenkirchen HOTEL 3 Hours by Train from Frank
  C2vC4 Frankfurt    
  C1vC3 Munich HOTEL 3 Hours by Train from Frank
Friday 21st June D1vD3 Berlin HOTEL 4 Hours by Train from Frank
  D2vD4 Leipzig HOTEL 3 Hours by Train from Frank
  E2vE4 Dusseldorf   1.5 Hours by Train from Frank
Saturday 22nd June E1vE3 Cologne   1 Hour by Train from Frank
  F1vF3 Dortmund   3.5 Hour by Train from Frank
  F2vF4 Hamburg HOTEL 4.5 Hours by Train from Frank
Sunday 23rd June A4vA1 Frankfurt   A1=GERMANY
  A2vA3 Stuttgart   1.5 Hours by Train from Frank
Monday 24th June B4vB1 Dusseldorf   1.5 Hours by Train from Frank
  B2vB3 Leipzig HOTEL 3 Hours by Train from Frank
Tuesday 25th June C4vC1 Cologne   1 Hour by Train from Frank
  C2vC3 Munich HOTEL 3 Hours by Train from Frank
  D2vD3 Berlin HOTEL 4 Hours by Train from Frank
  D4vD1 Dortmund HOTEL 3.5 Hours by Train from Frank
Wenesday 26th June E2vE3 Frankfurt    
  E4vE1 Stuttgart   1.5 Hours by Train from Frank
  F4vF1 Hamburg HOTEL 4.5 Hours by Train from Frank
  F2vF3 Gelsenkirchen HOTEL 3 Hours by Train from Frank
Thursday 27th June        
Departs 9.40 PM        

Purely for getting around Germany, Essen would be a good base. It's very close to loads of Host Stadia although it is not a Host City itself so possibly you will get better value digs. Plus it is a major Train Hub, it'll be much simpler to get pretty much anywhere in Germany from there. Plus, loads of TA stayed there when Scotland player Germany in Dortmund years ago.

Just to add, I was in Germany for the World Cup in 2006 and everywhere I went absolutely ROCKED. So it doe not matter where you go, you will have an AMAZING time!

One last Tip, if you see any Markets dotted about. Go into them, even the regular Markets have Beer and Wine Tents right in the middle of them! They ROCK!

42 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Purely for getting around Germany, Essen would be a good base. It's very close to loads of Host Stadia although it is not a Host City itself so possibly you will get better value digs. Plus it is a major Train Hub, it'll be much simpler to get pretty much anywhere in Germany from there. Plus, loads of TA stayed there when Scotland player Germany in Dortmund years ago.

That's why we booked there. 

22 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

So, is your plan to travel by train to a near host city on match day then last train home at night?

See what time kick off is. 

Basing myself in Essen and if i need a night or two elsewhere then i'll just take an overnight bag. 

Trains run right through the night.

We're flying into Frankfurt and then we've booked free cancellation digs for every possible fixture. Took a wee bit of time to set up a spreadsheet and find digs for every outcome but glad I've got that sorted before the dirty rush once the draw is out.

Hopefully the bookings that we actually need don't get cancelled by the owners once all the prices start going through the roof.

I would say it was a bit of a nightmare trying to find accommodation in Dortmund and Gelsenkirchen. Might just be they weren't on sale yet but worth doing a bit of research into smaller surrounding cities, Bochum, Essen, Duisburg, Leverkusen and even Eindhoven are fairly close by. 

2 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

We're flying into Frankfurt and then we've booked free cancellation digs for every possible fixture. Took a wee bit of time to set up a spreadsheet and find digs for every outcome but glad I've got that sorted before the dirty rush once the draw is out.

Hopefully the bookings that we actually need don't get cancelled by the owners once all the prices start going through the roof.

I would say it was a bit of a nightmare trying to find accommodation in Dortmund and Gelsenkirchen. Might just be they weren't on sale yet but worth doing a bit of research into smaller surrounding cities, Bochum, Essen, Duisburg, Leverkusen and even Eindhoven are fairly close by. 

This is getting more common now, guys turn up to their digs and the booking has been cancelled.

Bookng .com really need to get a hold of this and back up the original booker or whats the point using their App. 

I believe if you get no notification your booking has been cancelled, booking.com are liable to find you alternate accommodation. 

Most of ours are with 'reputable' hotels so hopefully shouldn't have an issue with them, its the independent hotels/homestays/hostels that I'm more worried about.

On 10/31/2023 at 3:42 PM, ghorne67 said:

I believe if you get no notification your booking has been cancelled, booking.com are liable to find you alternate accommodation. 

Most of ours are with 'reputable' hotels so hopefully shouldn't have an issue with them, its the independent hotels/homestays/hostels that I'm more worried about.

That was my understanding aswell but when my mates contacted book ing. com to obviously complain they weren't interested. 

7 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

That was my understanding aswell but when my mates contacted book ing. com to obviously complain they weren't interested. 

Re the above, my retirement job as a handyman for the hotel/serviced apartments industry has really opened my eyes to the practices of booking.com,expedia etc etc.

you may think you are getting a cheaper deal through the sites and possibly very minimally you are but trust me you are at the bottom of the food chain when overbooking /room sizes etc comes into it.when you stand in front of a receptionist of a hotel you think you are booked into and they have no details of you but you booked through  a 3rd party site you are wasting your breath,your booking contract is with whoever you booked with,expedia,trivago....and you need to speak to them.

First break I booked since I realised this was april last year in Belgium,I booked directly with my hotel,we turned up 4hrs earlier than the normal check in time but hoped we could drop our bags and come back later.Receptionist said everything was fine and in her own words because we had booked direct with the hotel we had been upgraded and our room was ready.

So, if you can afford it always,always,always book directly with the hotel/accommodation,trust me..especially the older demographic of our support who cant be arsed with hostels anymore...

On 10/31/2023 at 11:03 AM, ghorne67 said:

I plan on using the 'pay now' function as soon as draw is made, rather than waiting to pay on arrival/day before 

Large group of us booked an apartment in Remagen, which is effectively a suburb village of Bonn, so handy for Cologne (and the rest of the stadiums in the Rhineland) and Frankfurt and on the main train line from the Rhineland to central and southern Germany.

Owner says bikes that they have are free for us to use, so handy for down time to cycle up and down the Rhine to explore.

Booked British Airways flights (which includes free bag check in) into Frankfurt.

Edited by wanderer